delilas

FINALLY (!!!) things are moving forward.

I got approved for surgery on Tuesday (yay!). My poor program coordinator is probably done with me. I called my insurance to see if the approval was done and called her before she'd even been notified :D 

Yesterday they called to schedule my pre-op for November 7th - I was actually surprised they could get me in so soon, but super excited. I'll meet the surgeon, the dietician (to go over LSD) and then his assistant to get a surgery date. 

Or so I thought! This morning after arriving to work my phone rang with the hospital number, but I was in the middle of something. Then my husband's number pops up, and he goes "Um, they want you to have surgery on the 16th, but you'll have to start the LSD now." I dropped the spoon carrying oatmeal to my mouth so dang fast :D 

However, we're traveling from the 20th-25th, and I didn't think 4 days post-op would be the time to be sitting in a car for 8 hours+. And considering I have zero intentions of telling his family, being on clears still on Thanksgiving would be awkward...

So I called the assistant back and politely declined. She agreed extended traveling so soon after would not be my best idea. And so I got scheduled for the week after Thanksgiving, the 29th! This is just about freaking perfect to me. I'll be able to take off the month of December, but still get my surgery in in 2017 to hit that all-too-important deductible.

I'm so excited! 

1 hour ago, delilas said:

I called my insurance to see if the approval was done and called her before she'd even been notified :D 

Ha! I did the same exact thing. I just couldn't wait! Congrats on getting an official date. So happy for you!

That's excellent news delilas - congratulations!

@delilas

What great news! and smart to do this right after T-day given your circumstances. Wonderful! 

Now for the pre-op drill measures, things in place, stuff to bring...

1 hour ago, delilas said:

I got approved for surgery on Tuesday (yay!). My poor program coordinator is probably done with me. I called my insurance to see if the approval was done and called her before she'd even been notified :D 

Yesterday they called to schedule my pre-op for November 7th - I was actually surprised they could get me in so soon, but super excited. I'll meet the surgeon, the dietician (to go over LSD) and then his assistant to get a surgery date. 

Or so I thought! This morning after arriving to work my phone rang with the hospital number, but I was in the middle of something. Then my husband's number pops up, and he goes "Um, they want you to have surgery on the 16th, but you'll have to start the LSD now." I dropped the spoon carrying oatmeal to my mouth so dang fast :D 

However, we're traveling from the 20th-25th, and I didn't think 4 days post-op would be the time to be sitting in a car for 8 hours+. And considering I have zero intentions of telling his family, being on clears still on Thanksgiving would be awkward...

So I called the assistant back and politely declined. She agreed extended traveling so soon after would not be my best idea. And so I got scheduled for the week after Thanksgiving, the 29th! This is just about freaking perfect to me. I'll be able to take off the month of December, but still get my surgery in in 2017 to hit that all-too-important deductible.

I'm so excited! 

Super news @delilas!!!!  Another on the "November to Remember" Calendar!!!!  What a Thankful month for so many of us!!!

59 minutes ago, CJireh said:

Super news @delilas!!!!  Another on the "November to Remember" Calendar!!!!  What a Thankful month for so many of us!!!

It's going to be great! :D 

1 hour ago, BurgundyBoy said:

@delilas

What great news! and smart to do this right after T-day given your circumstances. Wonderful! 

Now for the pre-op drill measures, things in place, stuff to bring...

Oh for sure, ha! I've had my hospital list ready for several weeks (I like lists :) ) but now Im making my shopping list for the LSD and getting all that wonderful FMLA and disability paperwork in order for my pre-op. After all these weeks of waiting, having something to really do is the best!

Yay for surgery dates! So excited for you @delilas - glad you're in the November club! I bet those program coordinators are used to patients like us - the ones who check-in constantly and hound them are probably also likely to be more successful. That Type A behavior proves useful in many scenarios. :) 

I am SO excited for you @delilas!! Congratulations on getting your date! It is so awesome to be able to get this done in 2017 since you had met the deductible already! Good for you!!!!! :) 

5 hours ago, delilas said:

And so I got scheduled for the week after Thanksgiving, the 29th!

Super happy for you!

3 hours ago, delilas said:

It's going to be great! :D 

Oh for sure, ha! I've had my hospital list ready for several weeks (I like lists :) ) but now Im making my shopping list for the LSD and getting all that wonderful FMLA and disability paperwork in order for my pre-op. After all these weeks of waiting, having something to really do is the best!

@delilas, Delilas, did I read your post correctly that you are shopping for LSD?? :o I wasn't aware that it enhanced the post-operative experience in a very reliable way... :D

Fantastic news!!!! Congrats!

6 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

@delilas, Delilas, did I read your post correctly that you are shopping for LSD?? :o I wasn't aware that it enhanced the post-operative experience in a very reliable way... :D

I could probably find some research paper from the 60s that'll say otherwise ;) 

I, too, was curious about the background and training of a surgical team starting you on a course of LSD pre-op... ;) Should make for an interesting few weeks!

Congrats on your surgery date!!! It's coming right up. You've been working long and hard in your pre-op time, so I'm sure you've proven to yourself that you can do this. Looking forward to welcoming you to the bench. It's going to be quite a November for many of us! :D 

14 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Congrats on your surgery date!!! It's coming right up. You've been working long and hard in your pre-op time, so I'm sure you've proven to yourself that you can do this. Looking forward to welcoming you to the bench. It's going to be quite a November for many of us! :D 

Thanks! 

I'm thankful for those 6 months of weekly classes but definitely slacked a little since they ended a couple weeks ago. No regain, but no loss in three weeks. Having dates in hand definitely re-engaged that "ready to lose" mindset, however!

Saw the surgeon for pre-op last week, saw anesthesia this morning, got all my labs drawn this morning and they're already resulted and perfect, so knock on wood, but I should be smooth sailing until surgery day! 16 days and counting.

39 minutes ago, delilas said:

Saw the surgeon for pre-op last week, saw anesthesia this morning, got all my labs drawn this morning and they're already resulted and perfect, so knock on wood, but I should be smooth sailing until surgery day! 16 days and counting.

Ah! You should be sitting tight now. No butterflies? 

(Will you need a couple of labs redone with a few days of the actual surgery?)

Things are really underway now! Very exciting!

53 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Ah! You should be sitting tight now. No butterflies? 

(Will you need a couple of labs redone with a few days of the actual surgery?)

No butterflies...yet :D I know I won't sleep well the night before and I'll be a little nervous the morning of, but right now I'm still in the "get s$%t done" mode which is a pleasant distraction. Did all the laundry my house could possibly need this weekend so Im not worried about it while Im down for the count, deep cleaned the house, etc. Traveling for Thanksgiving next week will keep my mind off it until go time!

No repeat labs that they've mentioned so far. They sent me home with a spirometer, water bottle, CHG soap to bathe with for two days prior, and a pre-surgical drink that Im apparently supposed to have on the drive over to the hospital the day of, which is a very new concept to me. They warned me its disgusting, but if I can choke down these protein drinks for the next two weeks, then I can do anything :D 

5 minutes ago, delilas said:

No butterflies...yet :D I know I won't sleep well the night before and I'll be a little nervous the morning of, but right now I'm still in the "get s$%t done" mode which is a pleasant distraction. Did all the laundry my house could possibly need this weekend so Im not worried about it while Im down for the count, deep cleaned the house, etc. Traveling for Thanksgiving next week will keep my mind off it until go time!

No repeat labs that they've mentioned so far. They sent me home with a spirometer, water bottle, CHG soap to bathe with for two days prior, and a pre-surgical drink that Im apparently supposed to have on the drive over to the hospital the day of, which is a very new concept to me. They warned me its disgusting, but if I can choke down these protein drinks for the next two weeks, then I can do anything :D 

I had preop labs done 2 wks before and they didnt' get any more after that either.  

I never heard of drinking something before.  In fact mine was really emphatic that I didn't even put water in my mouth and spit it out bc "anything in your mouth will stimulate your stomach to produce fluids and acids" so they were very strict.  Wonder what the stuff is....I never had to wash w/ the soap but many here have.  Interesting how different each dr is!

34 minutes ago, delilas said:

pre-surgical drink that Im apparently supposed to have on the drive over to the hospital the day of, which is a very new concept to me. They warned me its disgusting, but if I can choke down these protein drinks for the next two weeks, then I can do anything :D 

My surgeon made me buy Gatorade and drink it the night before surgery and the morning of. Something about the electrolytes helping recovery. It had to be the sugary kind, too. I was so weirded out by that after keeping everything sugar free for so long. He's super up-to-date on all kinds of studies about recovery, healing, and surgical success. So I'm impressed with your surgeon too!

36 minutes ago, Gretta said:

My surgeon made me buy Gatorade and drink it the night before surgery and the morning of. Something about the electrolytes helping recovery. It had to be the sugary kind, too. I was so weirded out by that after keeping everything sugar free for so long. He's super up-to-date on all kinds of studies about recovery, healing, and surgical success. So I'm impressed with your surgeon too!

Mine gave me two bottles of Gatorade at my pre-op appointment, one for the night before, and one for the day of. 

1 hour ago, Gretta said:

Yes, they told me if the stuff they gave me was too gross to drink (its by Abbott labs, the same people who make Ensure), I could get Gatorade instead - they also told me to be sure it wasn't the diet kind! I looked into a little, seems drinking it helps prevent insulin resistance after surgery. Interesting! I'll probably buy a bottle of Gatorade just in case :D 

You're so close, @Boho Rosy! There's quite a few of us this November :D 

2 minutes ago, delilas said:

You're so close, @Boho Rosy! There's quite a few of us this November :D 

Indeed there are! Can't believe it's almost my turn. Yikes.