AustinJ

Starting Liquid Diet

I started my pre-op liquid diet today. I had a lovely "chili" dinner this evening. It consisted of:

1 cup beef broth

1 - 5.5 oz can of tomato juice

1/8 cup jalapeno juice

chili powder to taste

onion power to taste

pepper to taste

mixed well and heated on the stove. Bon Apetit! I Plan on adding unflavored protein powder next time.

Very creative! Be sure to make a smooth paste with some room temperature liquid and the protein powder before slowly adding hot liquid to it.

1 hour ago, Gretta said:

Very creative! Be sure to make a smooth paste with some room temperature liquid and the protein powder before slowly adding hot liquid to it.

Thanks for the tip.

Way to be creative! The sweet stuff really got to me from time to time, and this sounds like a good remedy for that. Sounds a bit like a virgin Bloody Mary :) A little horseradish and celery salt... 

I am so stealing that recipe Austen.  I've had some beef bones simmering for a couple of days so I'm going to give it a whirl.  I don't have any jalapeno juice so will use sriracha.

10 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Way to be creative! The sweet stuff really got to me from time to time, and this sounds like a good remedy for that. Sounds a bit like a virgin Bloody Mary :) A little horseradish and celery salt... 

I'll take an actual Bloody Mary, but I don't think its on my approved list.

3 hours ago, cinwa said:

I am so stealing that recipe Austen.  I've had some beef bones simmering for a couple of days so I'm going to give it a whirl.  I don't have any jalapeno juice so will use sriracha.

Steal away, that's why I posted it!

Does any one have a liquid diet recipe to share??

If it's a "full" liquid (vs. clear) - this was mine 

Water, LF milk, protein shakes.
Fruit juices, including nectars and juices without pulp.
SF/LF or FF yogurt, SF Jello and Instant SF/FF Jello Pudding and SF Jello.
Broth (bouillon, consommé, and strained cream soups, but NO solids).

OH, @AustinJ, that sounds so good (which shows how hungry I am!)  but I can't have tomato juice. :(. I don't know if you can have egg whites, but I made a "egg drop soup" out of chicken broth and egg whites. It wasn't the best thing since sliced bread, but it was surely better than plain broth (see my post with the picture of it)

2 hours ago, CJireh said:

I don't know if you can have egg whites, but I made a "egg drop soup" out of chicken broth and egg whites. It wasn't the best thing since sliced bread, but it was surely better than plain broth

I can't have egg whites, I wish I could though.

5 hours ago, cinwa said:

If it's a "full" liquid (vs. clear) - this was mine 

Water, LF milk, protein shakes.
Fruit juices, including nectars and juices without pulp.
SF/LF or FF yogurt, SF Jello and Instant SF/FF Jello Pudding and SF Jello.
Broth (bouillon, consommé, and strained cream soups, but NO solids).

That's pretty much what I am having minus the fruit juice.

11 minutes ago, AustinJ said:

I can't have egg whites, I wish I could though.

That's pretty much what I am having minus the fruit juice.

Mine is minus the fruit juice too, which I would love...I had bought some V8 fruit juice for this but never got to have it :(

How are you feeling? Hungry or just distracting yourself?  Have you figured out family meals yet? I am REALLY missing that but the first one I sat through was killing me. I just wanted FOOD!  I might try it this week because the horrible hunger pangs are gone....just a soft nagging in my gut occasionally asking for just a little food, but not terrible.  They had been sitting around the table eating but this weekend, the kids ate in the den and DH ate in the kitchen (once sitting across from me in the living room while we watched tv bc I said I could handle it but in all honesty it was very difficult, it was turkey meatballs and they were made for after surgery....no bread crumbs, just spices and ground turkey and egg and i kept reasoning that I COULD have a bite or two, but I had determined a while ago that I WILL stick to this pre-surg diet 100% as a test to see if I could handle the post-surg, and if I couldnt' I promised myself I'd back out of the surgery bc I have to be THAT serious that I will follow the rles!

Anyway, here's mine (and yes, I am sick of sweet stuff, I bought 24 bottles of snapple of which 23 are still sitting there and there are probably 15 boxes of SF jello that I never made)  I did buy the unflavored protein but haven't tried it yet:

2 wk preop diet.jpg

Edited by CJireh

1 hour ago, CJireh said:

Mine is minus the fruit juice too, which I would love...I had bought some V8 fruit juice for this but never got to have it :(

How are you feeling? Hungry or just distracting yourself?  Have you figured out family meals yet? I am REALLY missing that but the first one I sat through was killing me. I just wanted FOOD!  I might try it this week because the horrible hunger pangs are gone....just a soft nagging in my gut occasionally asking for just a little food, but not terrible.  They had been sitting around the table eating but this weekend, the kids ate in the den and DH ate in the kitchen (once sitting across from me in the living room while we watched tv bc I said I could handle it but in all honesty it was very difficult, it was turkey meatballs and they were made for after surgery....no bread crumbs, just spices and ground turkey and egg and i kept reasoning that I COULD have a bite or two, but I had determined a while ago that I WILL stick to this pre-surg diet 100% as a test to see if I could handle the post-surg, and if I couldnt' I promised myself I'd back out of the surgery bc I have to be THAT serious that I will follow the rles!

Anyway, here's mine (and yes, I am sick of sweet stuff, I bought 24 bottles of snapple of which 23 are still sitting there and there are probably 15 boxes of SF jello that I never made)  I did buy the unflavored protein but haven't tried it yet:

My liquid diet is pretty much the same just without egg whites and with diluted vegetable juice. I think the transition for me isn't as bad as for some, because I have been in ketosis for several months now. I'm just a little tiered today due to the lack of calories about 555 yesterday and about the same today. I did get 112g of protein yesterday and will have a little over 100g today.

I was only at 450 calories and only 60 gm of protein, but I had been getting up to 80 protein (they recommended 60-80).  I have felt nauseated all weekend, so I didn't eat anymore after "dinner"(protein shake)  tonight but I am feeling better at the moments.  It is now 9:30 pm and I don't want to have anything else tonight so I am just going to bed...but tomorrow I will try to up my protein to 80.  I dropped the milk out and started using water and ice and am wondering if that is what is helping my nausea to leave.  what are you eating that you are getting so much protein?  Yours seems like an amazing amount of protein! :)  You are going to be in great shape for the surgery!  Can you believe we are finally having it next week?!?!?! :o

I have 3 protein shakes per day. 2 Premier Protein (30g each) and 1 Syntrax (23g) I also add unflavored protein powder to SF/FF pudding made with skim milk. Jello also has protein and so do some broth. Surgery next week is still a little surreal.

@CJireh and @AustinJ, it sounds like you both are working hard and doing a great job of sticking to your plan. That bodes well for you. Just wanted to say congrats on being firm with yourselves during the liquid pre-op. It's not easy. It'll get a little easier after surgery when you're less hungry! :) 

5 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

@CJireh and @AustinJ, it sounds like you both are working hard and doing a great job of sticking to your plan. That bodes well for you. Just wanted to say congrats on being firm with yourselves during the liquid pre-op. It's not easy. It'll get a little easier after surgery when you're less hungry! :) 

A www, thanks, Jen!  I feel like we both got this....and, no it's not easy but it's not unbearable either. The support here from you guys that have survived this is a huge help.  I only have a week from today to go (wow!) then I look forward to the not being as hungry part and adding back foods little by little eventually.  Thanks, feeling the love :wub:

8 hours ago, AustinJ said:

I have 3 protein shakes per day. 2 Premier Protein (30g each) and 1 Syntrax (23g) I also add unflavored protein powder to SF/FF pudding made with skim milk. Jello also has protein and so do some broth. Surgery next week is still a little surreal.

I wish I could do the pudding, that'd be a great way to sneak in protein. I bought the unflavored stuff but haven't figured out how to use it at this stage of the game.  

7 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Thank you Jen, the only problem I have with the liquid pre-op is that it's boring, no texture, no chewing, ect. Other than that I seem to be holding well. I've been drinking a lot of water to stave off the hunger, 2 1/2 gallons yesterday. UGH lots of urinating.

2 hours ago, CJireh said:

I wish I could do the pudding, that'd be a great way to sneak in protein. I bought the unflavored stuff but haven't figured out how to use it at this stage of the game.  

I was looking at your pre-op list and I don't know where you could add protein powder in either. Maybe, if you can have scrambled egg whites just add the powder to the liquid egg before you cook it..

That might be an idea.  I have been nauseous all morning again :(  this is starting to get to me.  I have tons of things to wrap up at work this week and yet all I want to do is throw up (not that I have thrown up, I just feel like i could) and that is seriously hampering my productivity!  My bowels were a little troublesome again this morning which made it hard to leave the house.  Ugh....I am going to keep at this but it is annoying!

But on the good side, being nauseous makes me not care at all about food!!!!

Edited by CJireh

It sucks that you're not feeling well it can be so draining. I felt similar last year for about 6 months while the Dr.s were trying to figure out my gall bladder was not working. It just sucks I hope you find some relief somehow.