Sign in to follow this  
CJireh

2 wk pre op liquid diet causing diarrhea? (TMI)

I've been sailing through my lovely new diet....3 days of SF jello, water, protein shakes, and hardboiled egg whites....I am sure it is a shock to my body (I've already lost 5#) but today when I got home from work, I was famished and a little weak so I made and drank a protein shake (I had bought strawberry and it was nasty!)  and then about a half hour later I had chicken broth (which I hadn't had so far).  I felt a little nauseous and I've had a headache this afternoon (and took Tylenol since i can't take ibuprofen but that didn't help) so anyway I laid down on the couch and fell asleep for a little bit.  Next thing I know, I woke up with the need to rush immediately to the bathroom and had explosive diarrhea over and over and couldn't leave the bathroom for about 15 mins.  I didn't even have it like that when I was doing the precolonoscopy diet after taking 2 laxative pills and drinking a half a gallon of gatorade with 8 oz of powdered laxative!!!  Is this normal when I shock my poor body into this different eating?  Please say it is normal and that it will stop (because it would be hard to be at work if this continued!) and please say I am not getting sick instead!!!   Sorry for the gross information (and I could be more descript but will spare you)!

(Its not the liquid diet per se. Most likely food poisoning from something eaten in the 24 hours beforehand).

3 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

(Its not the liquid diet per se. Most likely food poisoning from something eaten in the 24 hours beforehand).

I haven't eaten anything but the shakes/almond milk, egg whites, SF jello and broth for the passed 70 some hours, so I don't think it could be that (unless you mean in the 24 hrs before Sunday night when I had my last food?)

My biggest fear is getting sick before the surgery and not being able to go through with it....but even if I got a intestinal flu it would be better by then.  Right now they are just "gurlgling"...sigh.

I'd say give it a day or so and see what happens. Going from normal food to all or mostly liquids I'm sure can affect some folks, gastronomically speaking.

The headache may be carb withdrawals. I would have expected it sooner, but it's not outside the realm of possibility. Google "carb flu" for more info. 

Edited by Michael_A

16 minutes ago, Michael_A said:

I'd say give it a day or so and see what happens. Going from normal food to all or mostly liquids I'm sure can affect some folks, gastronomically speaking.

The headache may be carb withdrawals. I would have expected it sooner, but it's not outside the realm of possibility. Google "carb flu" for more info. 

I am hoping it is just a shock to my body who is rebelling right now and that it will see that I am boss soon and ease up!

Thanks, I did google that and it does seem to pass....so let's hope it is gone (so far it only happened that once tonight but if I was at work I'd be sunk)

So, are you getting excited?  What do you have to do beforehand?  Do you have a special diet?

I've just gone back to a ketogenic diet and had the same reaction for three days. Don't worry about it right now. Give yourself another couple of days to see if it settles. My proviso is  that you need to drinks as much water as possible to stay hydrated.

From memory I had the same reaction to my pre-op diet. Some folk get constipated but I went the total opposite.

5 hours ago, CJireh said:

So, are you getting excited?  What do you have to do beforehand?  Do you have a special diet?

No. :-)  I've been standing in line waiting for a while, and the excitement has long since passed, to "let's get it done finally".

I really don't have anything to do at this point. Airfare booked, mental checklist made of what to bring, etc.

I've been on liquids or near-liquids for about two months now, so no special diet required at this point :-)

2 hours ago, Aussie H said:

Some folk get constipated but I went the total opposite.

I would prefer it this way, I think.

11 minutes ago, Michael_A said:

I would prefer it this way, I think.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence Michael.

4 hours ago, Michael_A said:

No. :-)  I've been standing in line waiting for a while, and the excitement has long since passed, to "let's get it done finally".

I really don't have anything to do at this point. Airfare booked, mental checklist made of what to bring, etc.

I've been on liquids or near-liquids for about two months now, so no special diet required at this point :-)

That is true, your liver already "shrank" so you don't need MORE of the liver reducing diet!  How far are you from where you are getting surgery done? 

I am also at the let's get it over with stage but still have excitement...maybe bc I haven't had to lose weight before hand but I am losing weight this week like crazy so it reminds me WHY I am doing this!

4 hours ago, Aussie H said:

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence Michael.

LOL!  true, but as uncomfortable as constipation is, you can take something for it...plus it won't just hit you out of the blue and mean you HAVE to find a bathroom in less tahn 12 seconds or else! :huh:  I haven't had any since that one time last night but I am nervous to head off to work today.....eeks! It had better not return while I am there!