Sign in to follow this  
CJireh

Elevate Protein from Aldis?

have any of you tried the Elevate chocolate or vanilla whey protein from Aldis?  It's only $15.99 but I don't want to buy it if it stinks!  My NUT said just to look for any protein shakes where the protein grams are at least 10% of the calories.  So if the drink is 200 cals, it has to have at least 20g of protein.  Anyway, if you've tried this, what are your thoughts on it?

The outer package says to compare it to Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein. One scoop per 12 oz. of water contains:

• 180 calories
    • 2.5 fat
    • 9g carbs
    • 2g sugar
    • 30g protein
    • Creatine-Amino Acid Blend (Creatine Monohydrate, Taurine, L-Glutamine)

elevate choc.jpg

elevate choc nutrition.jpg

I have not seen this item as I have not been to Aldi's in a while.  I am looking forward to feedback from others though!  Did you taste it yet @CJireh?  I'm pretty stuck in a rut with the Premiere Protein drinks but if it tastes good I would certainly try it. 

Nine carbs is over my net carb threshold for protein powder. If they're just sugar alcohols, they usually list them as such. Hmmm.

My NUT gave me no other "rules" except for the 10% rule

I'm with @Gretta on this. I just want to stay in ketosis as much as possible, so this would be too many carbs for me. Add in the milk and you are at 20g. That's about ⅔ of what I take in per day. 

Definitely not everyone does low carb this strictly, though, and most NUTs certainly don't, so up to you :) 

@Jen581791, I have it w/ almond milk (unsweetened)...would that make it acceptable or still too many carbs? 

I felt like I knew a lot about the surgery but I didn't spend enough time researching eating/supplementing afterwards!  Yikes!

almond milk.JPG

I asked my NUT about ketosis...and her simple reply was "We don't do that."  As always - such variety in opinions :) 

Also, I do not *count* carbs - I am very careful with carbs, but I do not actually track them. 

Edited by TammyP

i am sure I will figure it out as I go along...but it seems overwhelming right now!  I want to have stuff bought to be ready but it seems crazy.  

Premiere Protein drinks are easy!

22 minutes ago, TammyP said:

Premiere Protein drinks are easy!

I am sure they are but I am on a tight budget right now until DH gets a new job so I am trying to find things inexpensive.  I posted a link on here in Sept about Amazon having a protein shake/supplements $20 off of $60 sale and yet I didn't buy anything bc I didn't know what I'd need.  Wish I had.  

2 hours ago, CJireh said:

@Jen581791, I have it w/ almond milk (unsweetened)...would that make it acceptable or still too many carbs? 

I felt like I knew a lot about the surgery but I didn't spend enough time researching eating/supplementing afterwards!  Yikes!

almond milk.JPG

Unsweetened almond milk is definitely low carb (it's also low protein, but pretty low calorie, too, so basically there's just not a ton of anything in there! ;)). I don't like milk but I drink it in protein drinks just for more protein. So, if you're able to get your protein in without the extra protein of milk, you're probably fine. The protein powder isn't terribly high in carbs, just more than I look for in a powder. 

@TammyP, yes, I think you'd have to hunt around quite a while before you found a NUT who signed off on keto. They, as a group, tend to stick to the low cal, low fat diet advice that I'm not a fan of. Low cal and low fat aren't that satisfying to me. I'll trade the carbs for more fat any day - it keeps me less hungry and less craving of more carbs. In this world, there are keto people and anti-keto people, it seems, and most NUTs fall into the anti camp. I do a fair bit of reading of nutritional studies and such, and my reading leads me to believe that it's a pretty efficient way to burn some fat. My version of keto is more like "just enough to keep me in ketosis most of the time," which seems to be under 40g or 50g of carbs per day. I looked at some online keto calculator the other day and it said I should be under 16g of carbs per day and I was like, nah. My fats are lower than serious hardcore keto people do, too. Basically, I think people have to experiment a bit to see what works for them - what works for me may not be the best for you, etc. Some people do very, very well and are totally satisfied doing low cal low fat, and good for them. I don't think any of this is very settled science yet - despite all the nutritional "news" we hear in the press every day.

Also, I may end up switching things up a bit, depending on how things shake out in the next year or so :) I reserve the right to change my dietary habits...

My prescribed meal replacement protien drink has around 17g of carbs from memory. It's the standard liquid diet prescribed in Australia. At three per day it still kept me in low range ketosis. I don't think 7g is a problem, it just depends on what you mix it with.

10 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Unsweetened almond milk is definitely low carb (it's also low protein, but pretty low calorie, too, so basically there's just not a ton of anything in there! ;)). I don't like milk but I drink it in protein drinks just for more protein. So, if you're able to get your protein in without the extra protein of milk, you're probably fine. The protein powder isn't terribly high in carbs, just more than I look for in a powder. 

@TammyP, yes, I think you'd have to hunt around quite a while before you found a NUT who signed off on keto. They, as a group, tend to stick to the low cal, low fat diet advice that I'm not a fan of. Low cal and low fat aren't that satisfying to me. I'll trade the carbs for more fat any day - it keeps me less hungry and less craving of more carbs. In this world, there are keto people and anti-keto people, it seems, and most NUTs fall into the anti camp. I do a fair bit of reading of nutritional studies and such, and my reading leads me to believe that it's a pretty efficient way to burn some fat. My version of keto is more like "just enough to keep me in ketosis most of the time," which seems to be under 40g or 50g of carbs per day. I looked at some online keto calculator the other day and it said I should be under 16g of carbs per day and I was like, nah. My fats are lower than serious hardcore keto people do, too. Basically, I think people have to experiment a bit to see what works for them - what works for me may not be the best for you, etc. Some people do very, very well and are totally satisfied doing low cal low fat, and good for them. I don't think any of this is very settled science yet - despite all the nutritional "news" we hear in the press every day.

Also, I may end up switching things up a bit, depending on how things shake out in the next year or so :) I reserve the right to change my dietary habits...

I use the almond milk bc I am already lactose intolerant (which they said might happen w/ surgery, but I was like "no problem, been that way for years!") So I could use the lactose free milk but I have always used Almond milk bc it soooo low in calories and yet still "thick" enough to not feel like skim (tho skim is what I used to use when i could drink milk).

I don't know a whole lot about keto but I am on a huge learning curve right now.  i think I will be researching stuff on my time off while I am getting to know the new me and my new tastes!  I want to get it where I am not counting calories/carbs/etc, BUT for now, I will have to do what I need to do to get started on everything!  You (and everyone here) are a great resource of valuable information!  Thanks

Update: my husband had a $10 off $40 at aldis today  and needed something to make it to $40 so he got me the chocolate protein mix and I tried it.  I mixed it in my ninja with almond milk and it was actually delicious!!! Much smoother than any other brands I have (that even in e ninja taste grainy).  It was a huge scoop but the taste was good. I'm going to use it for now until I get back on solid foods then work out the whole diet thing with my NUT and research here.  Just ought I'd give you the review.