wick

7 years post GBS abdominal pain

Lost 100 lbs in first year; keeping it off but mostly because of intermittent severe abdominal pain that limits my intake- which has changed dramatically from protein (which now gets “stuck” - hence the belly pain!!) - now eating small meals of primarily carbs that digest easily and do not get stuck!!

Surgeon feels there is a significant stricture that obstructs me intermittently, especially with solid proteins. I have surgery scheduled for 11/16/17. He will only remove the narrowed area of intestine and do a new “hookup” (once he finds it!! - studies are vague) and make sure the pouch is the correct size and open - no revision of RNY loops, etc ....  Hope this will eventually allow me to eat solid protein again - I miss grilling!!

I'm so sorry to hear about the stricture wick but hopefully, your surgery next month will be a permanent fix.

@wick - I really hope you find a better normal after this surgery. Having some kind of mysterious stricture that doesn't allow you to eat protein sounds pretty unpleasant. Best wishes for a speedy recovery! :) 

Thank you both!! Not looking forward to mostly protein shakes before and after surgery. I have lost so much muscle mass from my low protein intake that I am looking forward to eating real protein again and maybe get back to some muscle-building exercise. While my weight is stable my body shape has changed back to “dumpy” from my current carb-laden diet! Cannot wait to grill again and workout with some good protein intake!!

@wick hope you are doing well good luck on surgery day.  Give us an update when you can after surgery.

Thanks! Will do! PreOp visit this Wednesday and hoping the surgeon will have a idea of the strictures location or I may bail!!

7 hours ago, wick said:

Thanks! Will do! PreOp visit this Wednesday and hoping the surgeon will have a idea of the strictures location or I may bail!!

Have faith in your surgeon wick. I was in a similar situation prior to my revisional surgery. The surgeon couldn't make any guarantees before surgery, but everything seems to be working fine now. Being able to eat meat, and in my case, veggies again has been life-changing, after living pretty much on soft carbs for so long. Until they actually get inside you though they really can't know for sure what's going on. I recently had my 6 month post-op and made a point to tell the surgeon that he had resolved the problem that prior to surgery he had expressed some doubts about. His response was he wouldn't make any promises prior to surgery because there was an element of the unknown, even though everyone he consulted with beforehand believed the revision I had would indeed fix the problem. He said it wasn't like someone who came in with abdominal pain and was found to have gallstones, where he could guarantee that surgery would relieve their pain. If you don't trust your surgeon then maybe bailing is a solution while you find one you can trust. If you do trust your surgeon though then stick with his program and allow them to do their job.

Good luck. I hope you find the relief I did and can move forward after surgery with a much extended range of foods that you can comfortably eat.

Thanks. Good advice. I do trust my surgeon, just spooked by uncertainty!!

Hey everybody...just signed up. I found ya'll by searching for reasons for abdominal pain . I would like to share a little and see if anyone else can relate . My pain is terrible...takes my breath. It starts just under my right lung and moves all the way up in to my chest.  Unfortunately I found a quick and easy remedy for myself....Coca Cola. I know right ?  A big no no for gastric bypass patients . I had my surgery back in 2012. I  lost 110 pounds...gained 10 back. But I am seeing a gastric DR. again.....long story for perhaps another time . Anyways.....I laid down the Coke....something that I learned to rely on for my pain. I had one in my hand all the time. I actually still carry one everywhere I go even now . But I haven't drank any carbonation since Oct. 23rd . My pain has lessened but for the past couple days it has returned . I am finding that LOTS of water at the onset of the pain brings relief...almost immediately . Maybe I just had the wrong remedy for my pain to begin with. I know my pouch is much bigger than when I began this journey . I am able to drink and eat quite a bit now. But I have kick started my diet since the 23rd and made some big changes . I have lost 10 pounds since I restarted my journey . This pain is something that really gives me a fit......but for the most part it is under control with drinking lots of water . Let me know if this helps any of you because I understand there are multiple reasons we have this pain. We are all unique it seems. I think for me there may be some issue with my pouch closing off and the sides rubbing...lol , kinda like a balloon with no air in it . When I drink it expands and the pain stops . I found that Coke worked so fast because of the carbonation.....thought?

@Matt S

Honestly doesn't make any sense to me but it doesn't have to... but I wonder if you don't have some kind of odd ulcer, maybe one in your remnant somach or something, or gastritis (an irritation of your stomach). Stomach walls are constantly in contact. have you seen the gastric (gastroenterologist?) doctor yet?

I have not spoken with a gastroenterologist  but have spoken with and had an evaluation with a practitioner and nutritionist . I  had a barium swallow done a few years back and nothing was found . What puzzles me is how quickly Coke stopped the pain.....just like a miracle drug. Over the past several years my diet has NOT been bariatric in nature. If it didn't make me sick...I would eat it . I was eating bread and chips and crackers and potatoes. I even was able to eat some sweets and did so. Much of my trouble may simply have been of my own doing . The only food I might be able to point to as a reason for the pain these past few days is beef. Up until this past Tuesday I had not eaten any beef since Oct. 23rd . Makes me wonder. I had not had any pain from Oct 23rd to this past Tuesday either.Thanks for your reply...Matt

Surgery went well but no specific abnormalities found, except a few holes in the omentum which could catch up on a loop of bowel. So he closed the holes and redid my original anastamosis.  F/u barium study this am looks good. I’ve been walking and am ready to go when the surgeon comes by.

Swallowing barium filled up pouch quick and my first clear liquids — 1/2 oz was filling!! I’ve forgotten how to do initial diet -drinking 1-2 oz an hour!!!! Gotta go back and read some “beginner” diet threads!! Dang.... starting over after 7 years!!!

2 hours ago, wick said:

Surgery went well but no specific abnormalities found, except a few holes in the omentum which could catch up on a loop of bowel. So he closed the holes and redid my original anastamosis.  F/u barium study this am looks good. I’ve been walking and am ready to go when the surgeon comes by.

Swallowing barium filled up pouch quick and my first clear liquids — 1/2 oz was filling!! I’ve forgotten how to do initial diet -drinking 1-2 oz an hour!!!! Gotta go back and read some “beginner” diet threads!! Dang.... starting over after 7 years!!!

Wick maybe that was it... since you said you had had indeterminate testing results. All you need is a loop of bowel to get intermittently caught or bent... and you can't eat. Good luck!

Really struggling to drink fluids today - 2nd postop day.  Drink just a little and feel uncomfortable! It’s been 7 years since I did this ..... should I force the volume or let my comfort level guide me?? Only got down about 8 oz over the last 24 hours. 

17 hours ago, wick said:

Really struggling to drink fluids today - 2nd postop day.  Drink just a little and feel uncomfortable! It’s been 7 years since I did this ..... should I force the volume or let my comfort level guide me?? Only got down about 8 oz over the last 24 hours. 

Checking in for an update Wick - have you tried warm drinks (I like Celestial Seasonings fruity and herbal teas).

Finished a 32 oz Poweraid drink last night and some warm tea. The warm tea really felt the best of all! So fluid intake still on the low side but maybe improving and feeling better and I’m still voiding. 

Starting over today - warm tea now then maybe some more Poweraid and I have to try a protein drink sometime today!!

That's great news wick - the additional fluid alone with make you feel much better.

For the life of me, I don't know why more bariatric programmes don't mention the potential difficulty getting plain water or cold drinks down early out.  Warm teas were and still are the best liquid for me.