Beegoe

Muscle Mass

Does anyone have any advice for gaining muscle mass? I'm 6'6, and my doctor's weight goal for me is 250. My personal goal is 260lbs with 10lbs of new muscle. I have just been released to hit the gym. My plan is cardio out of the gate for the first 2 weeks. But after that, I wish to incorporate some weight lifting to strengthen my core, and build my arms. Should I add an extra protein shake? Are there any muscle mass mixes that I can add? HELP!! 

Sorry if this duplicated. I started having internet issues right when I went to hit the submit button.

Hi @Beegoe. First of all, let me say: good for you for prioritizing exercise! That's apparently a really important help in long term maintenance.

The received wisdom, I believe, tells us that while losing, it's pretty hard to gain muscle. Gaining muscle requires higher calorie intake that we're capable of in the beginning, and when our bodies are having a hard time just functioning, they don't prioritize muscle growth. From what I read, it looks like maintaining muscle mass while losing the fat that's surrounding it is the best place to start. Definitely upping your protein intake should help with that, as well as the weightlifting you are planning on. Actually, we all have quite a bit more muscle under there than we'd normally think, just because we had to move our heavier bodies around all the time! So maintaining that is a great goal.

I'm pretty sure someone with deeper knowledge will step in here and give you some more specifics.

I know I definitely lost some muscle mass in the first few months. I had a crazy post freaking out about it after a hiking trip where I thought I was going to die after just climbing over some logs a few times - it exhausted me, like I nearly fell flat on my face, and I was really sore the next day. It got better once my lighter weight matched my decreased muscle mass. People here were very reassuring. Now, I think I'm maintaining muscle mass by doing the exercise I am currently doing. My calories are still pretty low, so I'm not expecting muscle gains until I up my calories (when I reach goal, I suppose). 

jen gives perfect advice.  i agree 100%!

58 minutes ago, bellamoma said:

jen gives perfect advice.  i agree 100%!

I agree, as usual Jen gives perfect advice!  :D