Carol F

December 20 chick!!!

Hi all!  Just got my surgery date and I'm beyond excited.  December 20TH can't get here soon enough!  Any tips for a successful sleeve?

Follow the plan !   Good luck and congrats

2 hours ago, Carol F said:

Hi all!  Just got my surgery date and I'm beyond excited.  December 20TH can't get here soon enough!  Any tips for a successful sleeve?

Oh, lots of tips on the Forum... look at recent suggestions elicited for or by @Kio, @CJireh, @Drake, @xmandy, @Gretta@Aussie H   (and many others). A lot of them are in threads started by others just like you, e.g. "I am having surgery and what do you suggest?" As you look you will see lots of very specific tips, e.g. what to consider purchasing, how to do this or that. Let me respond at a different level. 

Get your social support in place. Some people tell no one, some tell everyone, but figure out who you will be depending on and get them in place. We all need help in this. The Forum is helpful and real people in real time are helpful. Sometimes extended family members are conflicted or part of the environment that led to our being obese, so be thoughtful about this. Support can mean a shoulder to cry on, or some tough love when you need it, or maybe a pep talk. Most everyone will have weeks where their weight loss stalls and they think everything will fail. It's not true. But it's times like that when a little encouragement helps. there are plenty of threads here on thinking through who to tell. 

Being obese is driven overwhelmingly by genetics and environment. It is not a moral issue or a question of personal persistence. So be prepared for when some idiot talks to you as if the latter was relevant. Dieting works for < 1% of people and WLS is successful for 80 or 90% of people. Which would any rational person choose?

Be sure your psych issues are being addressed - no you don't have to be completely sane ;) but at least well enough put together that you don't end up eating bags of potato chips after surgery and sabotaging yourself. The surgery only makes your stomach smaller. It does not make your personal psych issues any different. I'm fond of saying the surgery does not go back in time and fix  the fact your Mommy loved your sister more (e.g. the emotional drivers that contributed to overeating). You get this marvelous 6-12 months ("the honeymoon") of no hunger; relentless weight loss... and during this time, you can figure out how YOU will lead a healthy, normal-weight life. At the end of the day about 90% of this is not falling prey to the emotional release or habits of over-eating in the future. Everyone loses weight, and a minority of people regain the weight. Many of the latter do not escape the emotional drivers. 

You have to follow your dietary plan. If you look at the losses recently engendered by @Trish1967 @Havamal @NerdyLady @Zyiaor by @Jen581791 they have stuck to their dietary intake goals and have lost HUGE amount of weight. I'm forgetting others but they come to mind. This is NOT rocket science. You eat less, in the absence of hunger, and you lose a lot of weight. You don't stick to the Plan, you have less weight loss. Early on you eat so little everyone loses weight; later on people can sabotage themselves eating Forbidden Carbohydrates or so frequently they eat as many calories as they did before surgery. 

Last point would mention is that while exercise is NOT critical to successful weight loss, it is a form of insurance you get to your goals. Exercise is a major part of an healthy life style and reduces risks of cardiovascular disease and deaths, reduces the chances of dementia and diabetes, and you get to have more fun in life.  I think it is a critical element to the healthy life we are aiming for but you can lose weight without exercise IF you adhere to the dietary plan, etc. The data is (for weight loss) that people who exercise during this time achieve a statistically lower weight, and are more resilient to later weight regaining. Since your surgery is nearly 2 months away I would encourage you to start walking, or swimming, or whatever to get into the habit of some exercise if you are not currently doing so. If you are exercising before surgery your recovery may be easier too.  I try to exercise an hour a day now, and right after surgery managed to exercise as much as 2 hours a day between walking and swimming; I think in the recent group, @Gretta, @CurvyMermaid, and I are outliers here in terms of getting a lot of exercise.  HOWEVER some of the most successful people here could not walk 100 feet before surgery - @Trish1967 for example. Don't compare yourself to others, look at where you are now and what would be progress regarding exercise for you. That is the only thing that counts. All things come in time.

Edited by BurgundyBoy
bad grammar fixed

That's so exciting!!! Here's a great recent thread on getting ready: 

New year, new you!

Oh, and add @Dtrain84 to the list of people who have lost weight just by following the Plan. He is down > 100 lbs too! 

Welcome @Carol F

Welcome!  Follow your plan!  There is a reason your surgeon has laid the ground rules!  Commit yourself and realize this is your second chance at life.  Life is good on the losers bench!  Support is wonderful but in the end it's your body and only you can control what goes into your mouth:). Good luck:)

Welcome to Thinner Times Carol F!

Welcome, @Carol F! Congrats on the surgery date.

You're going to have a heck of a 2018!!! :D

Oh forgot to add @tmcgee to list of amazing weight loss without exercise, and @athenarose

to list of those with lots of exercise ( you know this could go on for days and days...)

;)

I just got sleeved on 9/19.

My biggest suggestion for you now, is self identify your problem foods. Sodas, chips, crackers, fast-food, sweets etc etc... and cut yourself from them. It's going to be hard, I started slow for several months in advance. Gave up Sodas a year and half ago, replaced it with water and tea.. which I believe was a correct decision on my part. Month out I started cutting back on my problem go to comfort foods.. Cheez-its, chips, and chicken nuggets.

I was about three to four weeks out when I started replacing two of my meals with protein and as I got closer to my surgery date did my best to keep to pure liquids. The week to half week before surgery that your on clear liquids is going to be hard. Not going to lie, that was and still is the worse part of the pre-op process. But in all fairness, it helps get you ready for it. While my Liver was still big, my surgery was still do-able. 

Keep your eye on the end goal, make sure this is what you want out of your life as it is a game changer. I researched alot before surgery, even more after getting approval. Watch Youtube videos, read online articles and just mentally prepare youself for the journey ahead. 

You got this, and look forward to seeing you on the losers bench! 

Great advice, @Drake!  i just started my preop liquids and your post was inspiring. Thanks!  Btw, how are you feeling?  

Welcome aboard @Carol F! Congratulations on your surgery date. I'm happy for you. 

We are here to give you support. Whether you need somewhere to vent (aka my recent post called venting ;) ), ask questions or simply need to talk, we are here for you. 

6 hours ago, CJireh said:

Great advice, @Drake!  i just started my preop liquids and your post was inspiring. Thanks!  Btw, how are you feeling?  

I'm still adjusting, learning a bit more about my body. I don't see changes, but people at work and in my life say they can see me loosing. Walking taller and stronger then I have in a long time, so I guess that is my feed back. We are always are hardest critic, and I was blessed to not really have much pain after the surgery. Also might be because I had some cute nurses and I was trying not to show off any measure of pain was feeling ;)

But I don't really regret the surgery, it had opened my mind to how I was and gives me a setting stone to the path I'm building ahead of me. Making sure not to fall on bad habits, and while I am not exercising as much as my trainer/doctor might want.. I am pushing myself a little by little each day in how much I walk. My next weigh in is on the 31st, and from there will start planning my stride through the holidays.  

sounds wonderful @Drake...you're doing great!  I'm anxious to hear about your weigh in next week!  

Thank you all for the heart felt words of encouragement!  I love the words of wisdom and promise to follow all the advice I receive.  What an awesome resource you all are!  Please keep the tips coming.  I am absorbing every morsel of info I hear!

Thank you all!!!

Carol

Welcome CarolF. I'm another that will just tell you to follow your surgeon's plan. They know what they're talking about. You'll be surprised by just how good life on the losers bench can be. Just have to get over the pre-op and immediate post-op trials.....They don't make life easy. Make sure you have a good dietician, one you get along with and trust. An annoying one like I have can be the bane of your existence after WLS. Unfortunately where I live there isn't any choice, and the alternative of long distance phone calls doesn't cut it with me either.

As for you @BurgundyBoy, I think we might be in for a break-up. ;)

Edited by Aussie H
Bloody autocorrect!!!! Changed one word and the whole meaning changed. GRRRR!!!!!

3 hours ago, Aussie H said:

Welcome CarolF. I'm another that will just tell you to follow your surgeon's plan. They know what they're talking about. You'll be surprised by just how good life on the losers bench can be. Just have to get over the pre-op and immediate post-op trials.....They don't make life easy. Make sure you have a good dietician, one you get along with and trust. An annoying one like I have can be the brain of your existence after WLS. Unfortunately where I live there isn't any choice, and the alternative of long distance phone calls doesn't cut it with me either.

As for you @BurgundyBoy, I think we might be in for a break-up. ;)

NO! Oh @Aussie H! I recant my evil uncaring verbose behaviors!! :o

@Carol F Aussie is right - just follow the Path laid out for you. One can really overthink this stuff (Exhibit 1: see my long wind-bag post, above...). This surgery is successful because (1) it really works, and (2) you just have to follow the Plan. You don't need to be heroic, unusually anything, or re-invent the wheel. For any medical procedure to have this high rate of success it has to be pretty bullet and idiot proof. 

Welcome!  As others have said, success after surgery is simple - follow the diet plan, drink lots of liquids, exercise or live an active lifestyle, take your vitamins, and relax when you hit weight loss stalls.  

We are here to support and inform you on your weight loss surgery journey.