Sign in to follow this  
Thallen84

Chronic diarrhea-Help!

Not a pleasant topic but I’m desperate. I’m ten months post-op and have been experiencing this for four weeks now. It’s not dumping, as there’s no cramping or urgency, just constant diarrhea. I don’t know what to do. I had no trouble up until this point and haven’t changed anything in my diet plan. Anyone out there with similar experience or ideas on how to fix this? 

So sorry this is happening! Are you drinking lots of fluids and taking immodium to help matters? 10 months is a long time to suffer from this, and dehydration is a real worry. Have you discussed it with your surgeon? Please do let your medical team know. Do you get much fiber? Are you taking ursodiol for your gallbladder (that triggered diarrhea for me)? I hope we can get to the bottom of this (pun slightly intended).

4 hours ago, Thallen84 said:

Not a pleasant topic but I’m desperate. I’m ten months post-op and have been experiencing this for four weeks now. It’s not dumping, as there’s no cramping or urgency, just constant diarrhea. I don’t know what to do. I had no trouble up until this point and haven’t changed anything in my diet plan. Anyone out there with similar experience or ideas on how to fix this? 

Most likely it's not related to your surgery.

You could have something as common as Giardia, an intestinal parasite, which causes chronic diarrhea. In addition, with the bypass procedure your intestinal tract is no longer protected by all the acid your stomach made. Stomach acid kills bacteria in your food that could lead to diarrhea. Some bacteria can cause chronic diarrhea too. So without the acid barrier, you could be infected with a bacterial cause of diarrhea too. 

Would get checked out by my primary care today and have studies sent from your feces for infections. Other things not related to infections can cause this too. 

I should clarify, I went ten months without this issue. This is a new issue that’s lasted almost six weeks now. 

Thallen84,

Have you checked in with your PCP about it? 

Along with Burgundy Boy, I doubt that it's WLS related but there's no harm in you putting in a call to your surgeon's office for their advice.

17 hours ago, Thallen84 said:

I should clarify, I went ten months without this issue. This is a new issue that’s lasted almost six weeks now. 

This is just so unlikely to be surgery related. Off you go to your PCP.... hoping all well otherwise!