Cardamom77

Surgery set for November 21

Hello! I'm new here. I have surgery (pending insurance approval - but I'm pretty confident there won't be any issues - I have excellent insurance) scheduled for November 21. I'm calling Thanksgiving "No-Turkey-For-Me Day." I turn 40 on November 4, so I am trying to get my health back on track. I was a healthy fat person for most of my 20's and 30's, but things changed a lot as I've been aging. My knees hurt, I'm less active because of joint pain, my blood pressure keeps heading up, and my health is generally deteriorating. I know a lot of that is exacerbated by my weight, so I researched surgery as an option and found studies that ranged from (paraphrased) "surgery will totally kill you" to "you will probably live longer if you have surgery." I read lots and lots and lots about it and did lots and lots and lots of soul-searching. I also talked to everyone I know who has had weight loss surgery and not one of them said they regret it. 

But now that it's REAL, I'm getting a little anxious. Ha! I'm happy to have found this forum. 

I'm a social worker who works mainly with families involved in the juvenile court system. I have four children, the oldest of which just started college. They are 18, 17, 14, and 8. I'm married to an exceedingly supportive husband who was recently laid off, so we are definitely in a state of flux at the moment, but keeping our chins up. 

Edited by Cardamom77

Welcome to TTF, @Cardamom77! I hope you find this forum to be as helpful and supportive as I have. It's been a total lifesaver for me on many, many occasions (OK, daily). Congrats on taking the important steps of making the decision, doing your due diligence, and getting surgery scheduled. You're on your way!

Welcome to Thinner Times Cardamom77!

Welcome, @Cardamom77!! 

Welcome!  We are here to support you and inform you on your weight loss surgery journey.  

I have never regretted having my gastric bypass a few years ago, as it allowed me to become thin, healthy and much more active.  Even more importantly, the surgery allowed me to lose all of my extra weight and to keep it off, thereby adding a decade or two onto my lifespan.

welcome, @Cardamom77....TG is no turkey day for me too as I will be still post-op but I really don't care...not this year!!! 

Anyway, my husband is also exceedingly supportive and also recently got laid off.  At first it was a shock and I almost cancelled the surgery but he is home to help out when I have it so that is a plus! :)

(sidenote: also my cousin who had GB in 2003 also is a social worker and she's been able to keep the weight off and doesn't regret for a second that she had the surgery!) 

Welcome @Cardamom77!  Congratulations on your decision to have WLS!  

Welcome!

Thank you all! You're very welcoming!

20 hours ago, Cardamom77 said:

Thank you all! You're very welcoming!

You are totally doing this right. The benefits in terms of longevity and lessened joint problems favors surgery. My debilitating back is almost normal now. My increase in life span is about 15 more years, doubling the about 15 I statistically had.

Follow your Plan, you'll be fine. You'll Be alive for grandchildren Now And Have A Lot Less pain in knees.

Apologize for phone autocorrect stuff...

Welcome @Cardamom77.

My insurance authorization went through! I'm booked for 10:00 a.m. on the 21st! 

3 hours ago, Cardamom77 said:

That's wonderful!!!

13 hours ago, Cardamom77 said:

That's outstanding - less than a month to go and you'll be on the losers bench!

14 hours ago, Cardamom77 said:

That's coming right up! Less than a month until your day :)