NerdyLady

Pardon the repeat multivitamin question.

For several months after RNY, I was taking a liquid multivitamin. Out of the blue, I was revolted by the taste and switched to the Celebrate Multivitamin. Taking three large pills is annoying and I'd rather take one. Can anyone recommend a vitamin that can be taken in a single dose? 

I know I could take the vitamin apart and put the powder in food but I know myself. I won't do that and will forget to take a multivitamin. What works for me is to take all my vitamins at once. Do single pill multivitamins exist for Bariatric patients? 

Thx!

I've been taking One a Day Women's Petites, but I take 4 a day (2 in the morning, 2 at night). They're a dream to swallow, though. I'll let you know how my bloodwork looks next month.

I don't know that there is any single tablet/chew multivitamin that gives 200% RDA (requirement for RNY and DS).  And even if there were, it's highly unlikely that anyone would get even close to the full benefit because even in a non-WLS adult, they can only absorb X amount of whatever supplement at one sitting.  Factor in the mechanism of the gastric bypass (induces malabsorption of food, medications and vitamins and minerals alike) and you'd be far worse off.

Example:  In a non-bariatric patient, stuff like calcium absorption is best when a person consumes no more than 500mg at one sitting.  Our requirement is 1,500 - 2,000mg a day so not only would you be wasting money because most of the calcium would literally go down the pan, you'd be risking your health.

My program has Centrum Adult on the approved list, I take 2 per day one morning, one afternoon. It's easy to find in physical stores and cheaper than Bariatric options. I buy them at Sam's, 365 at a time!

I just saw a 40% off sale on the vitamin patches. I came here to ask if it is worth getting a few packs? How long would it be until I am able to swallow vitamins post op?

On 10/22/2017 at 0:38 AM, Gretta said:

I've been taking One a Day Women's Petites, but I take 4 a day (2 in the morning, 2 at night). They're a dream to swallow, though. I'll let you know how my bloodwork looks next month.

I would also be interested to know how these are working for you. Thanks

18 hours ago, Readytobeme said:

I just saw a 40% off sale on the vitamin patches. I came here to ask if it is worth getting a few packs? How long would it be until I am able to swallow vitamins post op?

I was able to swallow them straight away. Once they stopped the IV pain relief I learned to swallow tablets very quickly. It was either that or have no pain relief. It does depend on the amount of internal swelling you have though. If the patches are expensive then I wouldn't be getting any. You can easily buy chewable vitamins.

Thank you for the input, Aussie. They aren't bad with the 40% off but if I don't really need  them I am going to pass.

On 10/22/2017 at 10:00 AM, cinwa said:

I don't know that there is any single tablet/chew multivitamin that gives 200% RDA (requirement for RNY and DS).  And even if there were, it's highly unlikely that anyone would get even close to the full benefit because even in a non-WLS adult, they can only absorb X amount of whatever supplement at one sitting.  Factor in the mechanism of the gastric bypass (induces malabsorption of food, medications and vitamins and minerals alike) and you'd be far worse off.

Example:  In a non-bariatric patient, stuff like calcium absorption is best when a person consumes no more than 500mg at one sitting.  Our requirement is 1,500 - 2,000mg a day so not only would you be wasting money because most of the calcium would literally go down the pan, you'd be risking your health.

@cinwa Thanks for the detailed info. I can always count on you to set me straight. 

I'll just be over here, throwing a mini tantrum. :P

I am SO glad that I did not grab the vitamin patches while they were on sale. I found out today that my Dr wants her patients using chewable vitamins only. They said that since they are absorbed through the saliva it is the best route to take.

I also got to taste test the different optifast options for my 1 month preop liquid diet. Very glad that I did since some of them are just downright gross tasting. Better to sample now than have to buy them and find out I can't tolerate some of the flavors.

it amazes me how different each Dr. Is. Same surgery but different information. My Dr only wants me to take pill form

1 hour ago, Minfit said:

it amazes me how different each Dr. Is. Same surgery but different information. My Dr only wants me to take pill form

I have seen many people talk about taking pill form after WLS. I didn't ask about the patches. It was just a mention during an Optifast Class that our regimen will include chewable vitamins only because of the way that they are absorbed. Definitely going to wait until I get more information before buying any. Whether they are on a great sale or not.

We have to do 3 months with chewable vitamins, then we can do pill form if we wish.

I use Women's One A Day Petites and my labs are always perfect.  However, I am sleeve and don't have the malabsorption issues that bypass can have.  I also take Calcium Citrate petites in the morning and the Calcium Citrate chewy bites from Bariatric Advantage in the afternoon and evening.  They are a treat, chocolate ones taste like tootsie rolls and strawberry ones are sort of like Starburst.  :)

I am also going to be sleeved. It may be that we only have to do the chewables for the first few months like Austin is doing. I am not sure about that part yet.

The class was about the Optifast diet so they didn't go into great detail about the vitamins. Someone asked about them and we just got a quick answer of chewables only because of how they are absorbed. We were told that an entire class will be held on things like vitamins at some point though.

I have to do Optifast for 1 month before surgery and lose at least 8% of my excess weight. They will be tracking us closely during this time. Partly to shrink liver and lose some weight but, mostly to be sure that we will be able to stick to the plan post op.

I take CVS Spectravite chewable vitamins twice a day before a meal. I takr chewable multi vitamin pills because I think that chewable vitamins may be absorbed easier given our tiny stomach pouches. My vitamin blood levels have been great in the years since my surgery. 

By the way, CVS has regular vitamin sales (by one get one free) so CVS vitamins are not expensive. 

2 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

I take CVS Spectravite chewable vitamins twice a day before a meal.

I take these too.  When I went in for my 3 month check, they were not sure about them, but my blood panels were excellent.  The last time I purchased they were BOGO free, so 120 chewables for under $9!  That's a 2 month supply! :)

I just took the Bariatric Advantage chewable advanced multi for the first time. YUCK! The aftertaste was almost unbearable. Guess I need to shop around!

49 minutes ago, Boho Rosy said:

I just took the Bariatric Advantage chewable advanced multi for the first time.

I returned mine!  I just hated the taste also.

3 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

I take CVS Spectravite chewable vitamins twice a day before a meal. I takr chewable multi vitamin pills because I think that chewable vitamins may be absorbed easier given our tiny stomach pouches. My vitamin blood levels have been great in the years since my surgery. 

By the way, CVS has regular vitamin sales (by one get one free) so CVS vitamins are not expensive. 

Thanks for that info. I actually use CVS vitamins now. I am all about buying for the ingredients and not for the name on the label. Definitely will check those out.

@Res Ipsa and @TammyP, how big are the vitamins?  I have the centrum adult chewables (not crazy about the taste either but i just suck it up and chew chew chew then drink water to wash the taste away) but they are huge and I know you chew them so it isn't like I am swallowing them but seriously they are as big as your espogus!!!  Like almost the circumference of a quarter and thicker than one!  I have never seen something so big so when I have to chew one I have to psych myself up for it!!!  When these are done, I will get the CVS ones since they are a good deal but just was curious as to the size of them.

My dr recommends 2 flintstone vits but I remember tasting my kids vits and thinking they were horrible (they even smelled horrible).

3 hours ago, CJireh said:

how big are the vitamins

They are about the size of a nickel, but thicker than one nickel.  I don't mind the taste, and the price is right too :)

9 hours ago, TammyP said:

They are about the size of a nickel, but thicker than one nickel.  I don't mind the taste, and the price is right too :)

Thanks

On 10/21/2017 at 9:38 PM, Gretta said:

Reporting back that my bloodwork was perfect. :)

On 11/1/2017 at 5:42 PM, Res Ipsa said:

I found the Spectravite vitamins but not the chewables. I bought a bottle of the regular vitamins because I didn’t want to spend another minute in the cold. Let’s see what the blood work says.