Sign in to follow this  
Drake

Going on 5 Weeks :D

So I'm starting to eat a bit more but finding nothing I eat really has a .. satisfying or taste good feeling to it.

Protein Drinks ( Premier Protein Clear and Shakes )

Really getting to the point I have to force myself to drink protein, kinda sucks but I use a shot glass just to get it down. At the moment I'm averaging 45-55 grams of Protein a day. Trying to stick away from Carbs and if I do eat anything.. I use deli meat, mainly turkey wrapped in a bit of cream cheese. Or get the pre made prosciutto wrapped around some fancy cheese. Stomach always feel like it's asking for something or might just be gas. Can't really tell, but I do noticed after drinking any protein it isn't happy so I have to pop one or two goldfish to get it to hush.

Just wondering if anyone had the same issue with food after VSG, not that I mind but I'm really wondering if I'm not eating enough and will stall out my WL. 

I think you'll feel so much better when you eat your protein rather than drink it.

Some suggestions:

Ground turkey, flaky fish, scallops, string cheese (I like the mozzarella/sharp cheddar twists), Babybel cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt, eggs (cooked soft), low-carb lactose-free milk like Fairlife, protein bars (I like Oh Yeah ONE bars in maple donut, lemon cake, and almond bliss), refried beans.

At 6 weeks I could have chicken, tuna, thicker fish, shrimp.

Edited by Gretta

Hi @Drake - I'm glad to hear things are going OK for you at 5 weeks. I think food losing its appeal is just part of the package for some people - it certainly has been for me. That's actually a huge blessing in disguise, as it has let me basically ignore food, except for making sure I'm getting in enough protein and calories every day, for the better part of a year. 

If your stomach is bothering you after eating protein, maybe give papaya enzymes a shot? I mean, one or two goldfish aren't going to kill you, but thinking of myself, those one or two can multiply pretty fast into handfuls and bagfuls and Costco boxfuls... ;) Entire schools of goldfish.

The feeling in your stomach may be stomach acid - are you taking anything for that? Lots of sleevers are (and I can't remember right now if you've mentioned that in the past). You could also try sneaking unflavored protein powder into your regular food to up your protein take a bit - it dissolves pretty nicely. 

Deli meat and cheese were some pretty serious staples of mine when I was about at your point in the process. That, plus cottage cheese and Greek yogurt were my go-to meals. Variety will come with time - just enjoy this awesome moment when basically no food at all will fill you up! :) 

Keep up your hard work. Keeping low-carb seems to be helpful to most people, so you're doing the right thing. Just keep doing it!!!

18 hours ago, Drake said:

So I'm starting to eat a bit more but finding nothing I eat really has a .. satisfying or taste good feeling to it.

Protein Drinks ( Premier Protein Clear and Shakes )

Really getting to the point I have to force myself to drink protein, kinda sucks but I use a shot glass just to get it down. At the moment I'm averaging 45-55 grams of Protein a day. Trying to stick away from Carbs and if I do eat anything.. I use deli meat, mainly turkey wrapped in a bit of cream cheese. Or get the pre made prosciutto wrapped around some fancy cheese. Stomach always feel like it's asking for something or might just be gas. Can't really tell, but I do noticed after drinking any protein it isn't happy so I have to pop one or two goldfish to get it to hush.

Just wondering if anyone had the same issue with food after VSG, not that I mind but I'm really wondering if I'm not eating enough and will stall out my WL. 

@Drake I haven't had VSG but I think that gurgling in your stomach is gas or acid. Are you taking anything for acid reflux? I took acid reducers for the first month an a half. 

After my RNY, I realized that all my life I mistook acid and gas for hunger. You may be doing the same. I would lay off the goldfish. If you are anything like me, two can turn into a bag and can turn into a barrel of goldfish. 

Congrats on doing a good job of getting your protein in. While five weeks may feel like a lifetime, remember that you are a relative newbie and your pouch is still healing. Following Jen's advice of getting in more protein is a great idea. 

Keep coming back to the board! You'll find it incredibly helpful. 

@Jen581791 - I keep hearing about  papaya enzymes, tho haven't really gotten much information on it. 

@NerdyLady Might be something with the acid, while I was prescribed some proton blockers to reduce my stomach acid, the pill form they came in were capsules with little beaded ball inside. Pill Crusher didn't do much other then make them flat little beads. So I didn't take them. I haven't had any issue with heart burn or sore throats so thought I was in the clear on the acid front.

But then again, could be acid and I should least try to take the pills for a week now that I am able to take some solids. Lunch Meat and cheese has been my staple and I do agree with the Gold Fish. Don't want that being a gateway to larger amounts as I was pretty much a Cheez-It fiend before the surgery but can't stand them now. Which is weird, I didn't like gold fish before surgery and now I can some what stand them.

Liquids are another story, if it isn't coming from my protein, I'm not getting more then 30 oz a day down. Tried different things that are 0 calorie or zero sugar. (Water Makes me sick for some reason) and for a bit I was only able to get down Arizona Green Tea or Arizona Strawberry lemonade in any decent amount. Now I'm trying to stay away from that, try to focus on G2 Gatorade or if I can stomach it Propel. 

Who would of thunk it, eating and drinking would be the challenge in my life... trying to figure out systems, things I can enjoy more and keeping my Loseit as my daily tracker.

@DrakeI haven't had my surgery yet but I have bought my papaya enzymes (not expensive) and they are chewable and sweet. So today I took my medicines and vitamins but didn't eat breakfast Bc we were going out to lunch but I didn't think about my iron being in the bunch and I got nauseated. After eating a few saltines that didn't work, I remembered the papaya enzymes and opened them and tried them. I took two and they worked!  I'm sold :)

1 hour ago, Drake said:

@Jen581791 - I keep hearing about  papaya enzymes, tho haven't really gotten much information on it. 

@NerdyLady Might be something with the acid, while I was prescribed some proton blockers to reduce my stomach acid, the pill form they came in were capsules with little beaded ball inside. Pill Crusher didn't do much other then make them flat little beads. So I didn't take them. I haven't had any issue with heart burn or sore throats so thought I was in the clear on the acid front.

But then again, could be acid and I should least try to take the pills for a week now that I am able to take some solids. Lunch Meat and cheese has been my staple and I do agree with the Gold Fish. Don't want that being a gateway to larger amounts as I was pretty much a Cheez-It fiend before the surgery but can't stand them now. Which is weird, I didn't like gold fish before surgery and now I can some what stand them.

Liquids are another story, if it isn't coming from my protein, I'm not getting more then 30 oz a day down. Tried different things that are 0 calorie or zero sugar. (Water Makes me sick for some reason) and for a bit I was only able to get down Arizona Green Tea or Arizona Strawberry lemonade in any decent amount. Now I'm trying to stay away from that, try to focus on G2 Gatorade or if I can stomach it Propel. 

Who would of thunk it, eating and drinking would be the challenge in my life... trying to figure out systems, things I can enjoy more and keeping my Loseit as my daily tracker.

Mio are drops that some folks use to liven up their water. I drink Poweraid Zero or Nunn tablets  to add some excitement to my liquids. You don't want to end up dehydrated and liquids are an important part of your post op life. I'm not a sleever, so I'll let other folks give advice on how to get more liquids in at this stage.

Follow up with your surgeon about those acid meds. I bet you that they will make that "hungry" feeling go away. When I feel strange after a meal (aka "hungry") I grab papaya enzymes or Tums Smoothies. I always feel better.

It sounds like we both like salty and cheesy things. If I had let myself, I could have eaten 12 boxes of cheez-its a day. Neither of us should allow these snacks as a gateway to weight gain. It may sound silly to bring this up when your goldfish intake is only two crackers but this is the time to stick to good habits. I'm saying this to myself as much as I'm saying to you. 

Keep up the good work!

@Drake BTW, I looked up your stats. Way to go!!!!! You've almost lost 100 lbs. Yay!

Took the Acid Reducer - Proton Pump Inhibitor 

Seems to make a difference, never had any issues before and couldn't explain the feeling I was feeling at the time. But it's gone after taking the pill, so gonna start taking them daily. Now just got to get my insomnia under control and life will be golden. 

17 minutes ago, Drake said:

Seems to make a difference, never had any issues before and couldn't explain the feeling I was feeling at the time. But it's gone after taking the pill, so gonna start taking them daily. Now just got to get my insomnia under control and life will be golden. 

So glad you're feeling better. If you're able to get the same results with an H2 blocker like pepcid rather than a proton pump inhibitor like prilosec, you might be better off. My surgeon recently made all his patients switch the way they treat acid due to proton pump inhibitors recently being linked to dementia. There are other proton pumps in our bodies we don't want to inhibit. Just thought I'd mention it.

Edited by Gretta

14 hours ago, Drake said:

That's great news Drake.

My programme had us on a course of omeprazole (generic Prilosec).

@Drake How are things going? Best BB

3 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

@Drake How are things going? Best BB

So glad you asked. I've been thinking about @Drake too.

So far so good, getting use to food again is a pain. 

I'm down another 12 pounds, Thanksgiving coming up I'm like... uhhh.. Family... Food...  rut oh.

Tho I'm finding any solid meats, turkey, chicken, beef.... just doesn't sit well. I'm sitting here thinking that I have to go vegetarian then I have fish and I'm like yay.. something that doesn't make me feel weird.

This time of year I have ALOT of work so I'm walking alot during the day, high stress environment where I use satisfy those urges with food. Now I'm just putting food on the back burner and walking around more. Liquids have come down since the weather change, which I am wondering if that is normal.

Getting about 30-45 oz of liquids in a day. At the best of times, food/protein more on the low levels with also the weather change and lack of time with the heavy abundance of work. My next check in is on Jan 31

@Drake glad to hear your down another 12#!  Sorry about the meat....I guess it is all trial and error. Good luck with it all.