CDB

New as of October 2017

Love that there is a private forum to reach out and get advice on such a personal issue.  It has been one week today that I had my by pass surgery.  Loved that I found info about how to get my water intake in.  Like everyone else I too could not handle water.  The idea someone posted of tea has allowed me to get my fluid intake in

Welcome to CDB!

4 minutes ago, CDB said:

Love that there is a private forum to reach out and get advice on such a personal issue.....

Heads-up.  Thinner Times is not a private forum. 

Anyone can read threads/posts but you have to be a member to post.

Glad you are able to get your fluids in now..  We!come to the forum.

... and of course you are anonymous here. People can read what you post, but you can maintain a veil between here and your personal self. Personal engagement in a Forum like this is a form of social support, and statistically enhances your chances of getting to your weight loss goal.

(Lurkers, it's true. Lurking is just that. Real social support has been found over and over again to predict successful weight loss, and resilience to weight regain after surgery.)

Glad you found some hints on making it through this on the Forum. Lots of that here. You still on clear liquids or moved on?

Welcome, @CDB!

Welcome aboard, @CDB!

Welcome, @CDB

Glad the tea suggestion was helpful to you. So much great info on this forum.

On 21/10/2017 at 0:26 AM, BurgundyBoy said:

... and of course you are anonymous here. People can read what you post, but you can maintain a veil between here and your personal self. 

Unless of course you post photos of yourself!!!!

Welcome to the forum CDB! Glad to hear it has already helped you. Hopefully it will help you even more as you travel this path so many before you have.

Edited by Aussie H

20 minutes ago, Aussie H said:

Unless of course you post photos of yourself!!!!

Welcome to the forum CDB! Glad to hear it has already helped you. Hopefully it will help you even more as you travel this path so many before you have.

[ Sly Aussie - only post pictures of my stunt double. ]

Just now, BurgundyBoy said:

[ Sly Aussie - only post pictures of my stunt double. ]

BS BB. Go on and admit you love all the compliments you get when you post pics here! Good for you though....I wish I could be less sensitive about pics of me. Will probably never happen though.....my aversion to cameras goes way back to childhood.

Oh of course I love it, complete BS to say otherwise. In my youth I "learned" that a lot of that praise was insincere or ephemeral, and so I discounted it ... while secretly wishing I could garner some too. It feels very odd, even superficial, at 62 to be posting pics having all my life been the polar opposite.

I guess this is what living on the Wild Side after WLS is like. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Aussie H said:

BS BB. Go on and admit you love all the compliments you get when you post pics here! Good for you though....I wish I could be less sensitive about pics of me. Will probably never happen though.....my aversion to cameras goes way back to childhood.

Warning, partial hijack of thread, apologies:

so more seriously besides the vanity issue, and the subjectivity of what is beautiful -- beauty is clearly in the eye of the beholder: is beauty a quality because something delights us, or is delight the perception of beauty? As I recall this is what Augustine wrestled with... 

The most serious issue is the stigma, discrimination, humiliation so many suffer when obese. The sharing of our lesser appearances is a novelty for many of us. The imputation by others that obesity is a moral issue is horrible. You use the almost demure, polite word "sensitive" about pics of yourself, which I must assume is born of the discrimination you suffered. 

FYI there is an article today in the New York Times about Gabrielle Deydier's "memoir of growing up fat in France" by Alissa J. Rubin. The  book is entitled "On Ne Nait Pas Grosse" ("One is Not Born Fat'). In the article, she is reported to have rejected WLS because she dislike having the idea of having a functioning part of her body removed, and was afraid of the social isolation (having to eat 5 small meals a day instead of 3 larger ones). Those of us on the other side of surgery made a different calculation. I can only suspect she does not yet have the health issues that many of us have also factored in... but obviously this requires reading the book. 

Also referenced is an article by Jane Brody on August 21 2017, 'Fat Bias Starts Early and Takes a Serious Toll." Fat bias in children aged 9 to 11 is as strong as implicit racial bias in adults. ... and she refers to a Dr. Kahan who wrote that "obestiy has been called the last socially acceptable form of prejudice, and persons with obesity are considered acceptable targets of stigma."  

So I get the reluctance to post pics. For me I am finding it a kind of liberation. It doesn't address the underlying societal stereotyping and prejudice. 

10 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

So I get the reluctance to post pics. For me I am finding it a kind of liberation. It doesn't address the underlying societal stereotyping and prejudice. 

I have probably posted more pics of myself here than I ever did on social media. As a matter of fact, I have posted some of the worst pics of myself here. I also find it liberating...especially since I have spent most of my adult life shying away from the camera.  I don't want my grandson to grow up without being in any pictures with me like my kids had to. I'm not 100% comfortable in front of the camera just yet, but I'm getting there!! 

The fat shaming, stereotyping and prejudice needs to stop. I know it probably won't in my lifetime, but my hope is that it does stop. How horrible is it that complete strangers, and sometimes even our own family, can make us feel so bad about ourselves that we don't even feel worthy of taking part in a family photo? 

On 10/20/2017 at 8:39 AM, CDB said:

Love that there is a private forum to reach out and get advice on such a personal issue.  It has been one week today that I had my by pass surgery.  Loved that I found info about how to get my water intake in.  Like everyone else I too could not handle water.  The idea someone posted of tea has allowed me to get my fluid intake in

Welcome to the forum, @CDB!! I hope you're feeling well, and getting in those fluids!