codequery

Hi, new here - initial consult on 26th!

Hello!  I am new to this forum.  I am a 31 year old mother of four kiddos and I have my initial consult on the 26th.  I've already talked to my insurance and they only require what the facility does and said it should not be a problem being approved.  (Love my insurance :) )  Also, not sure how the psych eval goes, but my regular clinical psychologist already said she would be willing to write an approval letter if it doesn't have to be through a particular person.

Originally i was going to get the sleeve, but I am leaning towards Bypass now.  Especially since I have severe acid reflux -- possibly from hiatal hernia, but regardless, leaning towards bypass now.  

What should I expect at my initial consult?  

Edited by codequery

1 hour ago, codequery said:

Hello!  I am new to this forum.  I am a 31 year old mother of four kiddos and I have my initial consult on the 26th.  I've already talked to my insurance and they only require what the facility does and said it should not be a problem being approved.  (Love my insurance :) )  Also, not sure how the psych eval goes, but my regular clinical psychologist already said she would be willing to write an approval letter if it doesn't have to be through a particular person.

Originally i was going to get the sleeve, but I am leaning towards Bypass now.  Especially since I have severe acid reflux -- possibly from hiatal hernia, but regardless, leaning towards bypass now.  

What should I expect at my initial consult?  

Welcome to TT, @codequery :) 

Congratulations on your decision to have WLS and get yourself healthy!! I believe most surgeons have their own psychiatrist they like to send you to, but that may not be true for everyone. If you have severe reflux, they will most likely suggest that you have the bypass. Mine is completely gone after my bypass. 

My initial consult consisted of an extended interview with my surgeon's nurse, and of course taking vitals, height, weight, etc. Once the surgeon came in, he explained all 3 procedures to me, did a physical exam, asked me specific questions about my diet history and what I expected out of the surgery. Then he told me everything I needed to do prior to scheduling a date, put me on my liver shrinking diet, and that was the first day of the rest of my life :) 

Learn all you can about the procedure you decide to have. Come here with questions, concerns, frustrations, etc. The folks on this forum are some of the smartest, most compassionate and most supportive people you'll find anywhere! We are so glad you're here!

Hi @codequery, and welcome! I wish you the best as you start your way down this path. I did self-pay in Mexico, so I probably don't have any procedural insights for you, but I just wanted to tell you hello :) 

Welcome to Thinner Times codequery!

I entered the world of WLS as a result of an umbilical hernia that was causing problem.  The doc explained that although he could surgically repair my hernia with a patch, but unless I lost weight and kept it off, any repair wouldn't likely be successful long term and had I considered WLS.  I admitted that I hadn't but agreed to go on the bariatric programme.  The rest is history.

Welcome aboard, you will find lots of answers here but if you don't see them, ask, there is a wealth of info here!

@codequery

Mostly expect a lot of information, it may take some time to process it all. Go through everything methodically. Ask questions, or if they arise later ... go back to team to get them answered. Make your decision after becoming well versed in benefits and risks.

One of the best decisions I ever made ( I had sleeve).

Good luck. If you go forward, life will be transformed!

Looks like you got some great answers already, so I'll just say, "Welcome"!

Welcome Codequery. Good luck with your appointment, hope it goes well for you. I can't help either I'm afraid with regard to what that might entail. I came to this surgery by a pretty unique route and skipped all the usual steps. You could say my surgeon found me, rather than I went looking. I saw him for reflux issues and he worked through various options, discarding many along the way. In the end RNY was the only option I had to resolve my reflux issues due to prior WLS decades earlier. Personally I think your switch from sleeve to bypass is a very wise move given your reflux history. Many weightloss surgeon's won't even offer VSG to patients with a history of reflux.