Bizz Bizz

Anyone heard of Optifast 800 prior to revision surgery?

I had RNY Bypass Surgery in 2010. After the birth of our daughter in 2014 I have been battling severe anemia. After multiple iron infusions and acupuncture I was finally getting better. But unfortunately my malnutrition problems left me back in my old bad habits with food. Since my surgeon disappeared (later found out there were multiple malpractice suits against him) I had been dependent on my primary care physician. After gaining close to 70 lbs in roughly six months I was referred to a weight loss medicine group at UAB. Instead of revision surgery they are first having me do this Optifast 800 diet in hopes to shrink my pouch without going in. Does anyone have experience with any of this?!

I've not heard of doing it before revision, but I am certainly no expert and if it can work and shrink your pouch (and help you lose the weight) instead of surgery, it sounds like a win in my book! So I would think it is worth a try!

Edited by CJireh

I am familiar with Optifast but have not yet had WLS. I used Optifast back in the 90s and lost about 100 pounds. The surgeon that I will be using for WLS requires that all patients use Optifast for 1 month before surgery to shrink our livers. He does this with all patients no matter amount of weight that needs to be lost.

I do remember that the shakes and the soups all tasted very good. I have an Optifast class coming up on 10/30 where we will be able to sample all of the different Optifast items/flavors. If there is any info you would like me to get during this class, I will be glad to do it.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Readytobeme

Thank you Readytobeme, I appreciate the offer but I have been on it for 5 weeks now. And yes, everything tastes good. I think you'll be very happy with your upcoming taste test. And knowing that it is used elsewhere for liver shrinking makes a lot of sense. I have only lost 6 pounds total but my neck and waste are noticeably smaller.

My problem is that I just can't stay on it. The first two weeks were great. I wasn't hungry at all. But then I hit "the wall" and haven't been able to 100% abide by the diet. Also the group at UAB doesn't have a support group online or classes online (as advertised). I'm getting frustrated with them because the only online service is just a journal and weight in.

So again, Readytobeme, knowing that other reputable surgeons are using Optifast is a great relief. I just think I'm going to need surgery again to fix my RNY.

Just an update, in case anyone else is starting Optifast 800 prior to surgery or instead of revision.

Y'all are awesome! After just talking with a few of you, I have felt so much better! Knowing that this is used to shrink the liver prior to surgery has been a great help. I took a hard look and realized that even though I have only lost 6 pounds on the scale... My neck is half its size from a month ago, and I am down two sizes in my jeans!

Hopefully optimistic, I have my next doctor appointment next Tuesday. Once I talk with her in detail regarding my situation (with all the information this forum has given me) I will do another update in case anyone is interested.

That is outstanding news Bizz Bizz.

Optifast is the standard pre-op liquid diet in Australia. Mine was 4 weeks of 3 meal replacement shakes daily.....that was regardless of BMI or health status. I had used it for about 6 months though as my stomach wasn't tolerating normal food very well. I still use it (one shake daily) to get my protien intake up.

I had RY Gastric Bypass in July of 2000 and I had so many complications that it needed to be reversed. I had it reversed in April 2001. I lost close to 90 lbs and kept it off for years. In 2008 I had a baby and lost the weight within 2 yrs. In the last 4 yrs I have gained 75 lbs. Does anyone know if the optifast program would be a good alternative for me or is there something else better for me, as I have 5 bulging, herniated discs in my back and it makes it hard to walk far or exercise.

7 hours ago, Skeith1117 said:

I had RY Gastric Bypass in July of 2000 and I had so many complications that it needed to be reversed. I had it reversed in April 2001. I lost close to 90 lbs and kept it off for years. In 2008 I had a baby and lost the weight within 2 yrs. In the last 4 yrs I have gained 75 lbs. Does anyone know if the optifast program would be a good alternative for me or is there something else better for me, as I have 5 bulging, herniated discs in my back and it makes it hard to walk far or exercise.

Optifast is the go to meal replacement program used by bariatric surgeons pre-surgery in Australia. I used it for the 8 months leading up to my surgery and lost most of my excess weight. My regime was to replace breakfast and lunch with optifast and eat high protien low carb at tea time. There are a few different versions of the optifast product and I'm unsure what the 800 is exactly. If you are going to use it as the mainstay of your diet then you need the version that is a full meal replacement product and labelled as a VLCD (very low calorie diet). While deemed to be safe for long term use, you do still need to be monitored by your family doctor while using this product.

I should probably add that due to orthopedic issues I have been almost completely immobile since before starting to lose weight. Even though I've now had the orthopaedic surgery I needed, I'm still not cleared to exercise at all. The only activity I'm allowed is that required for "activities of daily living", so only really stuff like showering, toileting, meal prep etc. You don't need to exercise to lose weight!!!

Edited by Aussie H

On 10/17/2017 at 9:12 AM, Bizz Bizz said:

Thank you Readytobeme, I appreciate the offer but I have been on it for 5 weeks now. And yes, everything tastes good. I think you'll be very happy with your upcoming taste test. And knowing that it is used elsewhere for liver shrinking makes a lot of sense. I have only lost 6 pounds total but my neck and waste are noticeably smaller.

My problem is that I just can't stay on it. The first two weeks were great. I wasn't hungry at all. But then I hit "the wall" and haven't been able to 100% abide by the diet. Also the group at UAB doesn't have a support group online or classes online (as advertised). I'm getting frustrated with them because the only online service is just a journal and weight in.

So again, Readytobeme, knowing that other reputable surgeons are using Optifast is a great relief. I just think I'm going to need surgery again to fix my RNY.

I am so sorry that I missed this when you posted. I did have the optifast class and I must say that most of it did not taste good at all to me. I am SO glad that we got to sample it all before having to drop $500 on it for my months worth of shakes/soups/bars.

All of the bars were just flat out bad to my tastes. The tomato and chicken soup were not bad. As much as I LOVE chocolate, I am going to have to go with the vanilla and strawberry flavored shakes.

I am sorry that you had a hard time sticking to it. I have to do it for 1 month but, we are required to go to support group once a week while on it. We will have to weigh in and report any difficulties that we have along the way. I know that the first week will be hard. I plan to give it my all and make it work one way or the other. It is just too important to shrink my liver before surgery.

Hope it gets better and please do report back. I appreciate the info.

1 hour ago, Readytobeme said:

I have to do it for 1 month but, we are required to go to support group once a week while on it. We will have to weigh in and report any difficulties that we have along the way. I know that the first week will be hard. I plan to give it my all and make it work one way or the other. It is just too important to shrink my liver before surgery

Just keep this thought uppermost in your head and you'll manage. My surgeon also required 4 weeks pre-op replacing all three meals a day with optifast.....regardless of weight going into surgery. They do allow a plate of green veggies in the evening though. I didn't stick to it because he had told me something different before his dietician laid down the law. Having been on the stuff for around 8 months already, and getting my BMI under 30 by surgery day, I figured I'd done enough to ensure the liver would be okay. Fortunately the surgeons I had for my revision were also very happy, because in Australia they tend to stop the surgeries mid procedure if they insert the camera an see a fatty liver. From memory the dietician gave me a weightloss target of 8kg (approx 20lb) for that month. I told her she was joking and needed to read my file because clearly she had no idea how much I'd already lost prior to that, and at that stage I was in a weightloss stall. I only dropped about 3lbs in that month as it happened.

Edited by Aussie H

Aussie H,  I also get one meal a day while on Optifast. It will consist of 3 oz of lean meat and green vegetables. I feel sure that will help me tremendously. I hope so anyway. The surgeon requires that we lose 8% of our excess body weight during this month. That should be easily done as long as I stick to the plan. Which I will do.

I am having a heck of a time pulling myself together now though. I think that I am eating all the wrong stuff now knowing that my days are numbered eating like this. I absolutely must reign myself in soon. I am having a minor (hand surgery) on Friday and once that is done, I plan to rid my home of all the stuff I don't need to be eating. I really don't want to withdrawal from carbs and caffeine all at once if I am able to help it. I just have to get my mind in the right place.

Edited by Readytobeme

1 hour ago, Readytobeme said:

Aussie H,  I also get one meal a day while on Optifast. It will consist of 3 oz of lean meat and green vegetables. I feel sure that will help me tremendously. I hope so anyway. The surgeon requires that we lose 8% of our excess body weight during this month. That should be easily done as long as I stick to the plan. Which I will do.

I am having a heck of a time pulling myself together now though. I think that I am eating all the wrong stuff now knowing that my days are numbered eating like this. I absolutely must reign myself in soon. I am having a minor (hand surgery) on Friday and once that is done, I plan to rid my home of all the stuff I don't need to be eating. I really don't want to withdrawal from carbs and caffeine all at once if I am able to help it. I just have to get my mind in the right place.

I didn't have to stop either carbs or caffeine post surgery. In fact we were given both as part of the hospital post-op meal regime. Sugar was out out but complex carbs definitely in. I did so well losing weight before the pre-op diet started, but once that kicked in was when I ate so many things I shouldn't have. I suspect I'm just one of those people that can't handle being told I can't have things. If someone says I can't have something then I'll crave until I have them, whether I otherwise would have wanted them or not..