Sally L

Sonoma Fires- Staying on track

10/15/17

Hello all,

I live in Sonoma CA and we are experiencing wild fires that you won't believe. Our house is okay so far but my nerves a shot. I have been snacking because I'm stressed. I can't eat a lot but i'm upset with myself for snacking. I just keep telling myself to stay focused. Any suggestions?

So sorry you're going through all of that. Try to have the right snacks on hand for when the cravings strike (jerky, nuts dried edamame, protein bars, string cheese, deviled eggs, even pork rinds,...). Snacking doesn't really make us feel better, but it can still be really hard to avoid. Be gentle with yourself during this tough time. Hugs.

49 minutes ago, Sally L said:

10/15/17

Hello all,

I live in Sonoma CA and we are experiencing wild fires that you won't believe. Our house is okay so far but my nerves a shot. I have been snacking because I'm stressed. I can't eat a lot but i'm upset with myself for snacking. I just keep telling myself to stay focused. Any suggestions?

Extenuating circumstances of living through an apocalyptic event. Forgive yourself and replace bad snacks with high protein ones ( like jerky made without sugar, can get at Costco) or raw vegetables. Buy a bag of low calorie Ricola lemon drops and keep some in your pocket. Drink gallons of water or Crystal light or unsweetened tea.  Don't beat yourself up!

I am so very sorry for what you, your family and your part of California are going through.  Our thoughts and prayers are for a quick end to the fire season with no more loss of life and property, and a rapid rebuilding. 

In terms of avoiding stress snacking, my best advice is to drink a liquid that you enjoy (and is low in calories so no wine, sorry) whenever you feel the need to snack. The liquid will fill up your stomach and the glass/bottle of liquid will keep your hand busy. 

We are here to support you. 

13 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

.... and the glass/bottle of liquid will keep your hand busy....

What is the saying about idle hands are the devil's workshop? Great idea!

Sally, I'm sorry to hear you're among those who are being affected by this tragedy. I hope you and yours stay safe. 

If you're a volume snacker, you can't really beat veggie sticks - hard to eat many calories of those. Make some dip from Greek yogurt plus dry spices or a spice packet. A little protein with the veggies will make you feel more sated.

Best of luck.

8 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Sally, I'm sorry to hear you're among those who are being affected by this tragedy. I hope you and yours stay safe. 

If you're a volume snacker, you can't really beat veggie sticks - hard to eat many calories of those. Make some dip from Greek yogurt plus dry spices or a spice packet. A little protein with the veggies will make you feel more sated.

Best of luck.

So sorry to hear you are out in that disaster.  Be safe.  

We mix ranch powder with Greek yogurt.

Edited by Cheesehead

We're getting the smoke from what's going on in your area, so I am very up to date on the fires over in your neck of the woods. I'm so sorry they are raging and hope further containment happens. It's been crazy to see all of the CalFIRE folks meeting at my local Panera where I stop for my morning cup of coffee on the way to work. Also, a few friends of mine have been activated and sent over to emergency command up the street to help assist in the fire response. It has been a whirlwind. I'm surprised none of my staff has been activated, but hopefully these will start being contained and put out. I hope you are still safe.

I'll also echo what others have already said: having raw veggies, nuts, sugar free jerky, that sort of thing will help you out. Snacking is a nervous habit I have, also a stress habit (I snacked A LOT over the last 8 months with what I've been going through), so surrounding yourself with "safe" snacks isn't too bad of a thing. Stay safe and please keep us posted!

Thank you everybody for your great tips and advice. My husband and I are safe with our 3 cats today.