NerdyLady

I survived my kid's birthday party!

Today is Katya's birthday and we had a party at a local children's gym. My husband and I had healthy snacks for the party. We figure that we don't feed processed carp to our kid, so why feed it to our guests. 

The birthday cake was one of those huge monstrosities from Costco. No one noticed that I didn't have any as everyone was milling about feeding their kids. We have a fair amount left over, so I sent people home with cake for their family and friends. We have about 1/4 of the cake left and my husband will take that to work. 

The old me would have eaten cake in the middle of the night even though I don't like cake. I would have eaten it absentmindedly  while dealing with insomnia. I would have felt guilty, ashamed and woken up with high blood sugars. I would swear not to ever do it again. 

I managed to nibble on fruit and went to work passing out hats and party favors. Overall, the party was a success. Now my old and tired butt is going to take a nap. :lol:

Edited by NerdyLady
Because caaaaake

Congratulations - I'm proud of you!

The further out I got, the less I fancied cake and other typical birthday party foods and now, I make sure that whatever I'm invited to, I take a fresh fruit/raw veggie platter.  

I'm so glad to hear the party went well!! Good job, momma :) 

Talking of which - a big hit with kids and adults alike is grapes dipped in boiled sugar and water:

Grapes (use scissors to snip them off the bunch leaving a bit of stem on the grapes), sugar and water.  I found out to my cost that little kiddos and toothpicks are not a good mix.

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/toffee/ca9b14ab-dd5a-49e0-a889-37d67de18019

If you can't find caster sugar (or powdered sugar for that matter), just take regular sugar for a spin in the food processor:  http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-How-to-make-Caster-and-Powdered-Sugar/

Congratulations, keep up good work.

Nicely done! Happy birthday, Katya!

Yeah!!  Great job!!  

I still remember eating lots of left over cake after my son’s birthday parties when they were young (many years ago).  Even though the cake was not great tasting, I ate lots of it anyway. Now left over birthday cake does not tempt me at all (although to be on the safe side I avoid having it in my house :rolleyes:).