dancetrip

Approved for surgery

Recommended Posts

Hi all, I just received my letter from my insurance company saying I’ve been approved for sleeve surgery.  I’ve completed all my appointments so I’m getting getting very nervous about taking the next step.  

This time of year is going to be so difficult with the holidays coming up, do you recommend me waiting till after the first of the year or maybe right after Christmas if I can get a date?  It will be so hard to do over it over holidays and with family gatherings.  I’d appreciate any and all thoughts.

By the way I just joined this forum this morning so I’m a newbie!  Thank you!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to Thinner Times!

Personally, I'd continue with your journey. 

In my world, there was always some festivity or celebration coming up so it's something to talk through with your surgeon and of course, what his/her schedule is like over the Christmas season.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would strongly recommend that you not delay your surgery. I had my weight loss surgery in mid-November and it worked out great for me. Thanksgiving and holiday parties became more about seeing friends and family, and less about food - plus by New Years Eve I was almost thirty pounds lighter! :)

In addition with all the health care insurance reform uncertainty in Washington, any delay could be a major mistake in that health care reform could result in your surgery approval being revoked (or the co-pays going way up).

We are here to support and inform you on your weight loss surgery journey!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats and welcome! Do what's best for you, but I wouldn't delay!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for your responses and welcoming me to the group.   I really appreciate it and will call my clinic on Monday and see what their first availability would be.  Then I believe I have one last meeting with the dietician to go over my liquid diet.  How long did you have to do the liquid diet prior to surgery?  I’ve heard some say 2 weeks, 10 days or a week.  I hope for me it’s a week and that I can stick to it.  It scares me that I might cheat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome! The length of your liquid diet really depends on your doctor. I only had to do one for 24 hours before surgery. I hope everything goes smoothly for you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The liquid diet varies. I didn't have to do one before surgery at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@dancetrip

Welcome to the forum! I agree with everything folks have said above. Don't wait for your new life to begin. Have your surgery as soon as your doctor gives you a date. Your health will be much better and you most likely won't care about missing out on holiday food. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome!!!

You will need to do what is right for you and what suits your schedule, but I'm still waiting to be able to schedule my surgery and though I wanted a certain date, I don't really care when it will be, I'm having it!  Even if it's Christmas week. I just want it done and if I wait for "just one more (whatever)" I'll never have it!  

Edited by CJireh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dancetrip said:

Thank you all for your responses and welcoming me to the group.   I really appreciate it and will call my clinic on Monday and see what their first availability would be.  Then I believe I have one last meeting with the dietician to go over my liquid diet.  How long did you have to do the liquid diet prior to surgery?  I’ve heard some say 2 weeks, 10 days or a week.  I hope for me it’s a week and that I can stick to it.  It scares me that I might cheat.

I had just a week of liquid diet pre-op, and yes it varies a lot! 

Right now is probably a great time to start practicing for how you'll be eating later - de-tox from carbs/sugar/caffeine, etc so it doesn't all hit you at once. It'll be easier to not cheat if you're just focused on the liquid part and not on the other things you'll be getting out of your system. If you go really low carb right now, that will mimic your diet after surgery and help you get mentally adjusted. In addition, it'll start to help you get rid of those carb cravings that might tempt you to cheat later. 

Best of luck! It would be really cool to start the 2018 significantly lighter :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dancetrip said:

Thank you all for your responses and welcoming me to the group.   I really appreciate it and will call my clinic on Monday and see what their first availability would be.  Then I believe I have one last meeting with the dietician to go over my liquid diet.  How long did you have to do the liquid diet prior to surgery?  I’ve heard some say 2 weeks, 10 days or a week.  I hope for me it’s a week and that I can stick to it.  It scares me that I might cheat.

Like others, would move ahead on surgery asap. Insurance coverage may be all akimbo soon, and why not be healthier sooner?

Don't have holiday anxiety... it's the people, not the volume of food, that makes the holidays special. Most of us here have had this worry, but if you read older posts it's usually a non-issue. Being many pounds down and healthier is the real best gift!

Duration of liquid diet depends on what your surgeon needs in order to proceed safely. If you are likely to have a big fatty liver, which increases surgical risks, it may need to be shrunk via high protein liquid diet.

Delighted to greet another person to the Forum!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations on your approval for surgery! My hospital requires completion of a 6 month monitored, comprehensive educational program and we must adhere to a 1200 calorie diet prior to surgery, which has been absolutely fantastic.  We are required to do a two-day liquid diet before surgery.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, dancetrip said:

............ How long did you have to do the liquid diet prior to surgery?  I’ve heard some say 2 weeks, 10 days or a week.  I hope for me it’s a week and that I can stick to it.  It scares me that I might cheat.

It varies a lot dancetrip.  Surgeons preference, your starting weight, condition of your liver etc. etc.

I had no liquid diet but from the day I saw my my surgeon until the day of surgery (5 months), I lost 37.4lb (not unusual for me, I was a champion yoyo dieter).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@dancetrip

Welcome to Thinner Times!!!  I only had to do a one-week liquid pre-Op to shrink my liver.  I would also echo the sentiments to schedule the surgery and get on with the rest of your life!  You will not regret it :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2017 at 1:36 PM, Res Ipsa said:

 

In addition with all the health care insurance reform uncertainty in Washington, any delay could be a major mistake in that health care reform could result in your surgery approval being revoked (or the co-pays going way up).

 

Welcome to thinner times!! Congratulations on your approval!! I completely agree with @Res Ipsa, with health care insurance being so uncertain today, don't put it off! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This group is awesome, thanks so much for the encouragement and also the suggestions.  It seems everyone is in agreement with going forward and scheduling as soon as I can.  One question I do have is how long we’re you laid up for?  Besides lifting things were there other things you found difficult at first?  The reason I ask is I own my own business (dance & drama teacher) and I’m mid session into this quarter.  I do have an assistant so can have her lead some of things I normally would do but I would still be there.  

My Doctor does surgery on Wednesday’s each week and my classes are Monday and Tuesdays right now so I’m thinking maybe having 5 days to recoup might be enough.  

Question on this forum, is there a way to reply to someone after they leave a message?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, dancetrip said:

This group is awesome, thanks so much for the encouragement and also the suggestions.  It seems everyone is in agreement with going forward and scheduling as soon as I can.  One question I do have is how long we’re you laid up for?  Besides lifting things were there other things you found difficult at first?  The reason I ask is I own my own business (dance & drama teacher) and I’m mid session into this quarter.  I do have an assistant so can have her lead some of things I normally would do but I would still be there.  

My Doctor does surgery on Wednesday’s each week and my classes are Monday and Tuesdays right now so I’m thinking maybe having 5 days to recoup might be enough.  

Question on this forum, is there a way to reply to someone after they leave a message?

So, a lot depends on what shape you were in before surgery. Most people are able to go back to work within 2 weeks of surgery. A substantial minority could go back in a week. Many of us are pretty tired early on (e.g. need naps) as our bodies are putting energy into the intestinal tract healing. Some people are on their metabolic, figurative and real last legs when they get surgery and were unable to walk much beforehand, so they need longer.

My two cents is do as much as you can to strengthen your front abdominal muscles before surgery - walking, cycling, situps, swimming, whatever. These dictate a lot of your comfort after surgery. Since your surgeons stick holes in them to do the laparoscopic surgery you want them in pretty good shape both to tolerate the surgery, and for your recovery... buffing them up will help afterwards as you walk about as much as possible. I could be wrong, but I think that those of us able to walk a lot after surgery have in general been able to return to work most quickly. Let me invoke @Gretta and @athenarose by citing their names and magically requesting their two cents, since both exercise a lot and/or teach exercise classes.

(This Invocation tactic usually works, it is better than rubbing Aladdin's lamp to get the genie). 

If you have someone else at your classes to do the things requiring movement you are probably going to be okay, especially if the classes are not over an extended period like 12 hours or something.  I doubt any surgeon would recommend or suggest to everyone that they run or could run their classes 5 days after surgery, but the spectrum of people having WLS is quite big. If you are, or have been, in the habit of exercise you are a lot better off in the immediate post op period. If, alas, you have not been, this might be pushing it. 

This assumes all goes well with surgery, you have no problems with keeping fluids down, and so on. This is true for at least 90, probably 95% of people.

In other threads here I have related my own experience taking a probiotic before and after surgery, and never had any abdominal gas pain or issues. Both surgery and the antibiotics they need to give you to prevent infection at the time of surgery can mess with the ecology of your intestine. Probiotics tend to ameliorate that. The reason I mention it is that in the first week after surgery some people are bedevilled by intestinal gas pains, and that could interfere with any plans to be at the classes on day 5 after surgery. I don't know of any scientific studies that have looked at this element so take this with a grain of salt.

You can have other gas issues especially in your chest and shoulders but those are really like scuba diver bends, as the gas they use to puff up your stomach comes back out of solution in your joints. Only time helps with that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see I've been summoned! I went back to teaching hour-long cardio classes 2.5 weeks after surgery. But I was exhausted the rest of the day! It took a looong time to get my normal energy back (a good ten weeks). You may be lethargic afterwards, but bursts of good energy are possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BurgundyBoy and Greta thank you for responding.  I have been very active all of my life but still overweight.  Greta kudos to you for going back to teach Cardio, not to mention the length of your class!  At my age of 65 I know longer teach classes like I did years ago but work with young children and also Dementia/Alzheimer’s clientele.  I alsolutely love it and it is low key.

BB I started taking Probiotics a couple months ago and will continue, it has helped with heartburn that I occasionally got after drinking coffee.  I walk my dog Joey a couple times a day and generally stay pretty active. Good idea on the exercises to strengthen my abdominals they need it!  

By the way I’ve tried uploading a picture, I tried several but not successful.  The file is too large or pixels, haha

Have a wonderful day and thank you again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dancetrip said:

BurgundyBoy and Greta thank you for responding.  I have been very active all of my life but still overweight.  Greta kudos to you for going back to teach Cardio, not to mention the length of your class!  At my age of 65 I know longer teach classes like I did years ago but work with young children and also Dementia/Alzheimer’s clientele.  I alsolutely love it and it is low key.

BB I started taking Probiotics a couple months ago and will continue, it has helped with heartburn that I occasionally got after drinking coffee.  I walk my dog Joey a couple times a day and generally stay pretty active. Good idea on the exercises to strengthen my abdominals they need it!  

By the way I’ve tried uploading a picture, I tried several but not successful.  The file is too large or pixels, haha

Have a wonderful day and thank you again!

I think @cinwa has posted a fix for the too-big picture problem. 

Like you I was really active as well as overweight. I have terrible hip and knee joints now as this meant extra stress on them from each aspect. I'd like to tell you I had my WLS because of some considered contemplative thoughtful process, but actually it was just because my joints and hips were so bad i was in pain all the time, and thought I would have to retire early given my immobility. It's good we can get replacements now. 

Best BB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, dancetrip said:

............ 

Question on this forum, is there a way to reply to someone after they leave a message?

Below every post you'll find "Quote".  Click on that and it'll paste the message you're respond to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, dancetrip said:

............... 

By the way I’ve tried uploading a picture, I tried several but not successful.  The file is too large or pixels, haha

...............

shrinkpictures.com works well.  600 Pixels work well and if you want to use one of your own photos for an avatar, you'll find "CREATE AVATAR" link on the upper left of shrinkpictures too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cinwa said:

shrinkpictures.com works well.  600 Pixels work well and if you want to use one of your own photos for an avatar, you'll find "CREATE AVATAR" link on the upper left of shrinkpictures too.

@dancetrip, I just used my ipad and brought up the thumbnails on the photo page and then screen shot it and cropped the pic I wanted, which then was easy to upload here....it was all very easy and took less than a minute.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, dancetrip said:

Hey everyone I received my surgery date!  I will be having my surgery December 18th

I’m so excited to begin this new journey!

Great news!!  I cannot wait to welcome you in a few weeks to the losers bench. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now