Mrs.NA

Severe abdominal pain

Hey everyone. I'm now 5 weeks out and things are well, just having a lot of abdominal pain. I thought it was because I lifted something and was expecting it to get better, but it's only gotten worse. Much worse. I feel like I've done a thousand sit ups and my muscles are aching. Has anyone else had this kind of pain?

So sorry you're going through this.  It's definitely something to talk to your surgeon/team about.  I've had a couple of small twinges when I clearly leaned or twisted the wrong way, or lifted a bit too much, but it's always gone away very quickly - definitely gone by the next morning.  However, I have been careful not to lift anything over 15 lbs so far.  

I would get this checked out - probably it's nothing, but you'll want to hear that from your doctors!

3 hours ago, Mrs.NA said:

Hey everyone. I'm now 5 weeks out and things are well, just having a lot of abdominal pain. I thought it was because I lifted something and was expecting it to get better, but it's only gotten worse. Much worse. I feel like I've done a thousand sit ups and my muscles are aching. Has anyone else had this kind of pain?

Would get it checked out by surgical team or your primary care. Yes to having had achy muscles!

5 weeks out from surgery it could be serious - please have it checked out.  

Like the others said, call your doctor, pain isn’t something to delay action on.  Call now!

I'm with everyone else Mrs.NA - put a call into your surgeon's office.

Mrs. NA, please keep us posted- I hope you've heeded the wise advice above and called your surgeon. 

I also did something to myself about 6 weeks in and happy to say after 3 or 4 days I was fine.  I assume I pulled a muscle .   Have not had any problems since

It looks like it's a combination of two things... lifting my daughter (40lb) and also being kicked by her when she comes to my bed (nightly) 

Hopefully a few days of rest will make it feel better

8 hours ago, Mrs.NA said:

It looks like it's a combination of two things... lifting my daughter (40lb) and also being kicked by her when she comes to my bed (nightly) 

Hopefully a few days of rest will make it feel better

Be careful 

Ouch! I hope the pain has subsided by now.

I had a similar situation...forgot to be careful momentarily and leaned way over way too fast.  It really hurt and instead of gradually feeling better it kept getting continually worse.  I called in (after waiting too long) and they had me go back on the Norco for a couple days and then the pain was gone after that.  The whole episode didn't really follow logical reasoning, but the drs knew what to do so I'd call asap if for no other reason but to get some relief for yourself.  Hope you are feeling better soon.

So it still hasn't cleared up and now I can't eat without my stomach hurting. Guess I have to go for a scope next week :(

2 hours ago, Mrs.NA said:

So it still hasn't cleared up and now I can't eat without my stomach hurting. Guess I have to go for a scope next week :(

So sorry to hear this.  :(  I would suggest reaching out to your doctor first thing tomorrow - a week may be too long to let this go.  It's probably nothing serious, but why take a chance?  You could get this knocked out and start feeling better this week!

1 hour ago, Kio said:

So sorry to hear this.  :(  I would suggest reaching out to your doctor first thing tomorrow - a week may be too long to let this go.  It's probably nothing serious, but why take a chance?  You could get this knocked out and start feeling better this week!

I'm with @Kio! Letting pain continue this long is maybe not a good idea. You're not far out from surgery - I think it would be totally reasonable to try to get some answers ASAP. No need to suffer.

My surgeon thinks that the opening may be too narrow and needs to be adjusted. It's back to purée diet until this can be done. I'm sure it will all work out fine. 

Sorry to hear about the possible stricture Mrs.NA.  The good news is that dilation usually gives immediate relief.

1 hour ago, cinwa said:

Sorry to hear about the possible stricture Mrs.NA.  The good news is that dilation usually gives immediate relief.

Thank you, that is good to know. Fortunately I have an 'in' at the hospital here, so I will be able to get the scope at the end of the day. Hopefully that will mean I can eat and drink again soon :)

11 minutes ago, Mrs.NA said:

Thank you, that is good to know. Fortunately I have an 'in' at the hospital here, so I will be able to get the scope at the end of the day. Hopefully that will mean I can eat and drink again soon :)

I should point out that it's not unusual to have to be dilated more than once but generally, you're able to drink and eat with no problems straight away.

Ugh... feeling frustrated. There wasn't stricture, and the Dr who was doing it even found that the connection was a bit larger than usual. He said there was a spot that could have been an ulcer that healed, but that really doesn't explain recent pain. I now have to take more stomach medication because it could just be too acidic... I think I would have felt better if it was just a stricture. There is something about having pain that can't be seen that is just so frustrating :'(

41 minutes ago, Mrs.NA said:

There is something about having pain that can't be seen that is just so frustrating :'(

There certainly is. Sorry the endoscopy didnt give you any definitive answer. Sometimes though no news is actually good news. Maybe it is just a case of too much too soon on the activity level, in which case you just need to give yourself more time to heal. At least you know now that your surgery was well performed.