Jen581791

Good news: hair loss appears to have stopped at 8 months

12 posts in this topic

OK, everyone worrying about hair loss, your mileage may vary, but my losses appear to have stopped. They slowed way down at 6 months, but now the amount of hair I'm getting in my brush every day is normal. I'm not getting the piles of hair covering the shoulders of my clothes every day, just normal amounts. It's not coming out in great hanks in the shower, either. Whew! Thank goodness.

I'm not blessed with an overabundance of hair naturally, so this is a huge relief. My hair is baby fine and thin, so it was pretty noticeable there for a while. Coloring it a lighter shade of blond helped make it less noticeable (it's blond naturally, but of the mousey or dishwater variety without a lot of hours in the sun, so I kick it up a notch with chemicals. Vanity of vanities). Now I've just got a halo of baby hairs starting to grow out. They're all under an inch long and look a bit crazy if I'm backlit, but I'll take those over scalp any day.

If you're interested in the science behind the hair loss, Chemistry Queen on YouTube has a great video on that. She explains it well and helped me understand that the falling out phase is actually a *good sign* - it means your body is making new hairs again because you're getting enough protein. 

Take those vitamins! Eat that protein! Take that biotin! And keep your fingers crossed, I guess, since a lot of this appears to be luck.

kayak19, cinwa, Trish1967 and 3 others like this

6 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

OK, everyone worrying about hair loss, your mileage may vary, but my losses appear to have stopped. They slowed way down at 6 months, but now the amount of hair I'm getting in my brush every day is normal. I'm not getting the piles of hair covering the shoulders of my clothes every day, just normal amounts. It's not coming out in great hanks in the shower, either. Whew! Thank goodness.

I'm not blessed with an overabundance of hair naturally, so this is a huge relief. My hair is baby fine and thin, so it was pretty noticeable there for a while. Coloring it a lighter shade of blond helped make it less noticeable (it's blond naturally, but of the mousey or dishwater variety without a lot of hours in the sun, so I kick it up a notch with chemicals. Vanity of vanities). Now I've just got a halo of baby hairs starting to grow out. They're all under an inch long and look a bit crazy if I'm backlit, but I'll take those over scalp any day.

If you're interested in the science behind the hair loss, Chemistry Queen on YouTube has a great video on that. She explains it well and helped me understand that the falling out phase is actually a *good sign* - it means your body is making new hairs again because you're getting enough protein. 

Take those vitamins! Eat that protein! Take that biotin! And keep your fingers crossed, I guess, since a lot of this appears to be luck.

I'm happy for you! Hooray!!

As you know, I was semi desperate about my hair loss. While I'm still losing hair, it seems to be slowing down. I'm at the six month mark, so your prediction is right. I too have baby fine hair, so I don't have much to spare. I can't wait for the shedding to stop. 

Trish1967 and Jen581791 like this

Thanks for sharing, @Jen581791! I am covered daily and while the hair loss isn't overly noticable yet, I'm afraid it may be very soon. My hair is similar to yours, blonde (mousy these days), thin, and shedding like no one's business. I'm excited that there is hope in the next 3-4 months. Yay!!! :D

Jen581791, NerdyLady and Trish1967 like this

Only time being a nearly bald guy has been advantageous...

Interestingly, no loss of beard hairs. I wonder why? Wonder if more hirsute Adults on the Forum have also not lost facial hair.

1 hour ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Only time being a nearly bald guy has been advantageous...

Interestingly, no loss of beard hairs. I wonder why? Wonder if more hirsute Adults on the Forum have also not lost facial hair.

Facial hair is of primary survival importance to the human body, on a par with brain function and internal organs, obviously! Your body is not going to de-prioritize beard hair growth except in extreme circumstances!!! :D 

2 hours ago, Trish13 said:

Thanks for sharing, @Jen581791! I am covered daily and while the hair loss isn't overly noticable yet, I'm afraid it may be very soon. My hair is similar to yours, blonde (mousy these days), thin, and shedding like no one's business. I'm excited that there is hope in the next 3-4 months. Yay!!! :D

If it gets bad, the hair fiber spray stuff is supposed to work really well (brands like Toppik). I didn't use any because I was in the middle of moving to a place where that sort of thing is much harder to get, but I certainly looked into it. It might be a confidence booster if you're starting to worry.

Trish13 and Trish1967 like this

I'm glad to hear your hair loss has slowed/stopped :) You all know how I handled mine, lol...but to be fair, mine wasn't from WLS. If I've started losing it since surgery, I wouldn't know it, haha. I hope your regrowth happens quickly, and you can put that part of the process behind you.

Jen581791 likes this

2 minutes ago, Trish1967 said:

I'm glad to hear your hair loss has slowed/stopped :) You all know how I handled mine, lol...but to be fair, mine wasn't from WLS. If I've started losing it since surgery, I wouldn't know it, haha. I hope your regrowth happens quickly, and you can put that part of the process behind you.

Yes, Trish, I admire your bold actions on the hair front!!! :D I hope you're having fun with turbans, hats, scarves, you name it. Add some flair to your look!

I think the stopping of the losing is more important than the starting of the growing for my mental state, if that makes sense. I really wanted to know it wasn't going to get worse before it got better. And now, I can say that although I didn't enjoy the hair falling out part, it wasn't the worst thing in the whole world, and it's totally worth it.

kayak19 and Trish1967 like this

Appreciate the hair loss updates...I've been doing all the precautionary things and literally the day I hit 3 months out, I started to notice some light shedding.  I wondered if it was just me being hypersensitive to any hair loss at all, but it has continued since then.  No clumps or hanks, as @Jen581791 put it, yet.  I have noticed some texture changes as well, a bit drier.  My hair is brown and the little new growth hairs are coming in gray around my hairline.  Not sure what to do about that.  The strategy of coloring hair at the hairline in a dark color has never appealed to me as I think it can look unnatural and too severe.   I usually get away with highlights, but may have to come up with a new plan.

Jen581791 likes this

Just now, Jen581791 said:

Yes, Trish, I admire your bold actions on the hair front!!! :D I hope you're having fun with turbans, hats, scarves, you name it. Add some flair to your look!

I think the stopping of the losing is more important than the starting of the growing for my mental state, if that makes sense. I really wanted to know it wasn't going to get worse before it got better. And now, I can say that although I didn't enjoy the hair falling out part, it wasn't the worst thing in the whole world, and it's totally worth it.

It makes total sense that now that it's stopped, you feel better. Endless hair loss is a scary thought!! I too agree that it's totally worth it :) 

I decided to go "au naturale" and not bother with the head coverings...lol. It's not as bad as I was anticipating, and to be honest my hair looks much better now than it did prior to shaving it off. It was baaaaad! I may try growing it out again next spring, or I may decide to just keep it like this. The only thing that's been hard to get used to is feeling the wind on my scalp, lol. I will need a hat once it gets colder outside, though :rolleyes:

kayak19, Jen581791 and NerdyLady like this

On 10/15/2017 at 0:15 PM, Trish1967 said:

It makes total sense that now that it's stopped, you feel better. Endless hair loss is a scary thought!! I too agree that it's totally worth it :) 

I decided to go "au naturale" and not bother with the head coverings...lol. It's not as bad as I was anticipating, and to be honest my hair looks much better now than it did prior to shaving it off. It was baaaaad! I may try growing it out again next spring, or I may decide to just keep it like this. The only thing that's been hard to get used to is feeling the wind on my scalp, lol. I will need a hat once it gets colder outside, though :rolleyes:

I hadn't thought about your hair and the winter. Upstate is coooold. Better invest in some hats. I wouldn't want our @Trish1967 to be cold. 

10 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

I hadn't thought about your hair and the winter. Upstate is coooold. Better invest in some hats. I wouldn't want our @Trish1967 to be cold. 

Aww :wub: You're so sweet!! I'll be getting some hats for the winter, for sure. It's been unseasonably warm so far this fall...to the point of having to use the AC one day last week. As I write this, though, it's only 37 degrees, so it's coming, lol. This is what our week looks like...I'll take it! The longer I can go without turning my heat on, the better!!

IMG_5337.PNG

Edited by Trish1967
NerdyLady and Jen581791 like this