CelticGirl

Hi, I''m new!

32 posts in this topic

I went to my seminar this week to learn about the vertical sleeve. I was on the fence because the idea of NEVER being able to have something I love put me off a bit. In 2008 I started the classes, but then lost my job along with my insurance. Back then they said nothing was off limits for the sleeve because you still have stomach acid unlike the bypass. So I just assumed I would still be able to drink seltzer water, champagne, coffee and eat romaine lettuce. Then the doctor said in his lecture that the sleeve makes your stomach so small you can't have any carbonation. I get my water intake by drinking carbonated water (sodium free) all day. Regular water just doesn't cut it for me. So I asked him about mineral water like Perrier. He said no. Champagne? No. Well, hell, I hate the word NEVER. I can live without a lot of foods that I've been eating, but....  So when I got home I logged onto this site and did a quick search on those topics. People do drink coffee. Good, my morning is covered. People also are able to drink Champagne/Sparkling Wine. (I don't necessarily drink the real stuff- Korbel Brut, or Chandon, etc suit me just fine) Honestly, I don't drink more than once or twice a month, but NEVER?   Couldn't find anything on Perrier, so if someone knows something please speak up. I like that Unsweetened Tejava ice tea in a bottle, but the caffeine makes it hard to drink all day. Crystal Lite?  The sweetener makes me sick for some reason. It may be because I can't drink it all day.  Because someone here posted the sugar and protein grams for the protein drink, I found my favorite drink falls within the perimeters-26 gm protein, 2 gm sugar. (Costco Vanilla Whey Shake)

Okay, I digress, I've decided to go for it after reading the posts on this site. I can live a year without tasting the things I love. I can live the rest of my life by only having a bite. Just don't tell me NEVER. That's such a dirty word.  I know having this surgery is drastic. But I've been trying it on my own for a long time. Like my whole life. And I've decided I need help. I know this will be hard. I imagine until I see a difference that I might get depressed that I can't eat or go out with family and friends. I'm just going to have to keep that one year in my mind and I'll have a body that suits my age, or younger. I used to boogeyboard, go to the beach, be able to sit in those low chairs and get up! Play tennis. But most of all I want to travel some day and I can't walk around Europe right now. Hell, I get winded grocery shopping. (I like to rush through the store. Don't like shopping too much, unless it's online! LOL)

So if you're still with me thanks for listening. 

BurgundyBoy and NerdyLady like this

Welcome!!!  There is a vast amount of first hand knowledge here for sure!! 

CelticGirl likes this

@CJireh Thank you!

Hi CelticGirl!  Welcome the Thinner Times.  I have to tell you pre-surgery for the last 10+ years I was a high carbonation sorta gal.  To the tune of 6+ cans of Diet Pepsi per day.  It was the first thing I craved when I woke up, and the last thing I craved before sleeping.  I was my obsession.  I rationalized it - heck I could be addicted to much worse stuff!  Whether alcohol or tobacco or drugs, caffeine/carbonation isn't so bad.  Never in my wildest dreams did I think I could kick carbonation.  When I heard no carbonation, my heart fell.  But I was tired of being the person trying to hide behind people in every group picture.  I was tired of being the one demanding a picture be deleted because I looked so awful in it...time after time after time.  It was a viscous cycle.  I finally decided this is MY body.  What goes into it is controlled by ME - not these cravings.  I Am The Boss lol.  Anyhow, I too digress.  I am caffeine free, and carbonation free.  I don't even crave these things anymore.  So I wish that for you too.  Don't think of this as Never, think of this as your being in charge.  You are strong and you CAN do this.  Heck if I can kick carbonation, anyone can trust me. :)

CelticGirl and Res Ipsa like this

Welcome! I think you'll find that doing without some things temporarily is totally worth it. I've been avoiding quite a lot of things for about 9 months now and don't miss them - after I hit maintenance I may add some back in, but not all of them. Honestly I find that I just had the habit of eating some of them and don't care if I don't eat those anymore. Life as a thinner, healthier person is so worth it.

I hope your road ahead is a smooth one.

Edited by Jen581791
Typing with my fist apparently not working out well this morning
Res Ipsa and CelticGirl like this

@TammyP  Thank you. These are the things I need to hear right now. I do appreciate you taking the time to respond!

@Jen581791  Thank you. This is my reasoning too. I have to admit I'm excited and frightened at the same time. I think this group is what will keep me going. The people here are the only ones that understand the process.  I know I will need the support. I broke the news to my two sisters last night. One looked worried and the other, well, lets just say she was not as excited as I thought she would be.  I thought it would be  great to get her back on track! They didn't have forums like this back then.  

Thanks for your input. It really helps.

Edited by CelticGirl

Welcome CelticGirl,

To start with you could not have picked a better surgeon!  Doctor Callery and his staff are absolutely fabulous!  I had my RNY in May of 2013.  Was done at Pomerado Hospital.  I had no problems to speak of!  Sometimes you do have to go outside of family for positive support, family will come around if you stay positive, work the program, and lean on the positive people.  Good Luck!

@CelticGirl, I'm sorry to hear your family hasn't been as supportive as you had hoped. That's hard. That's also what this forum is for!!! :D

I'm sure your sister who had RNY is feeling a lot of very mixed emotions, to put as positive a spin on it as I can. Her reasons for not being excited for you are probably 99% about her and 1% about you, though. You and I both know the anguish of working hard at losing weight and failing. The double pain of seeing someone close to you starting the process of possibly being successful is undoubtedly heartbreaking for her. I hope as you move through your process, you can serve as a possibly silent good example for her. If nothing else, she might be motivated by just seeing your changes. But I'd be pretty quiet about it around her if she's having a struggle. Poor her. My heart goes out to her. 

In light of that, you'll be getting your support elsewhere. Here is a great place. The people are lovely and helpful, full of experience and wisdom, and not judgmental, but also willing to give it to you straight if you're doing or thinking something silly. As I have. Welcome and I hope your experience with WLS is a great one!

Edited by Jen581791
CelticGirl, TammyP and BurgundyBoy like this

Welcome, @CelticGirl! Dr. Callery performed my sleeve surgery at the end of May. Having been to one of his intro seminars, I'm not surprised your head is spinning with all the information! You were so smart to come here. This place is a big part of my success. Since the day I sat in that same seminar (and had that horrible industrial scale weigh-in) less than nine months ago, I've lost 90 pounds! 

You'll find a way to get your fluid intake without bubbles. Maybe you'll make Kool-aid with stevia or drink iced tea all day like me or find a Mio flavor you love. You'll figure it out, and you'll be so happy with your success, you'll no longer care about bubbles. 

Welcome!

CelticGirl, NerdyLady and Jen581791 like this

@Gretta Thank you. It's so nice to meet you!  Yes, his seminar had me snoozing most of the time. Congrats on your weight loss. That is awesome!!!!  By the way, what's Mio?  Might I add that your numbers on your profile are a bit mixed up. I think they need updating. It says you had your surgery 5 months ago. Did you lose 90 lbs in 5 months or 9 months? I'm hoping it's 5 months. LOL. Thank you for welcoming me. Take care. 

21 minutes ago, CelticGirl said:

@Gretta Thank you. It's so nice to meet you!  Yes, his seminar had me snoozing most of the time. Congrats on your weight loss. That is awesome!!!!  By the way, what's Mio?  Might I add that your numbers on your profile are a bit mixed up. I think they need updating. It says you had your surgery 5 months ago. Did you lose 90 lbs in 5 months or 9 months? I'm hoping it's 5 months. LOL. Thank you for welcoming me. Take care. 

It's 9 months. I put my surgery weight as my start weight. I find most lurkers prefer to calculate what they'll lose monthly AFTER surgery. I lost 31 pounds in the 3 months between the seminar & surgery. 59 pounds since surgery. ALL my little details are in my signature line, but I rarely see signature lines because I'm usually looking at Thinner Times on my phone. Signatures can only be seen on computers.

Mio are drops to flavor water http://www.makeitmio.com/

Edited by Gretta
CelticGirl likes this

@Jen581791 Yes, I know you're right. I would never rub her nose in it. She will come around. It will just take time. I've seen it in the past. She is my older sister and has felt competitive with me for awhile. I think it's because we are more similar than our oldest sister and have gone through many similar things. I just want to help but will have to wait until she asks. In the meantime this is where I'll get my motivation. I'm very grateful to have a group like this. I was looking for a group in my area to meet in person and couldn't find one. I did find one that was a bit of a drive but they meet in a bakery! What's wrong with that picture? LOL  Anyway, thanks for reaching out.

Take care

Jen581791 and NerdyLady like this

@Gretta  Oh, thank you for the explanation!  Good going. How wonderful that you lost all that on your own before the surgery. Kudos to you!  Also I appreciate the link. Never heard of it and will have to check it out!

Take care

Gretta likes this

19 minutes ago, CelticGirl said:

@Jen581791 Yes, I know you're right. I would never rub her nose in it. She will come around. It will just take time. I've seen it in the past. She is my older sister and has felt competitive with me for awhile. I think it's because we are more similar than our oldest sister and have gone through many similar things. I just want to help but will have to wait until she asks. In the meantime this is where I'll get my motivation. I'm very grateful to have a group like this. I was looking for a group in my area to meet in person and couldn't find one. I did find one that was a bit of a drive but they meet in a bakery! What's wrong with that picture? LOL  Anyway, thanks for reaching out.

Take care

:lol::lol::lol: Come to our WLS support group meetings - we meet in a bakery!!!! You actually have to crawl through the cookie dough mixing vats to enter the meeting room! 

I truly hope your sister will see something inspiring in your own process. I'm sure it hurts to feel like you've not done as well as you hoped you would. I think you're right to wait until she asks. 

I think you'll like it here. It's my only support group as I don't have a local one, either, and I wouldn't trade it for one in a bakery for the world ;) 

TammyP and CelticGirl like this

@CelticGirl They meet at a bakery? Have they lost their minds? I threw away a slice of bundt cake that my babysitter left for my daughter, because it was too tempting. I don't know that I could resist freshly baked goods. 

I did not go on any type of pre surgery diet. I was drinking seltzer (I have a soda stream) and Coke Zero like it was my job. I found that my tastes have changed after my surgery. Many items on the no-no lists are things I don't even want. Over the weekend, I had a craving for a Coke Zero but that is because I saw an advertisement. :D 

Post op, you will find that many of the food desires that held you back from WLS no longer matter. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have any cravings. I get over them quickly and realize that those cravings are psychological and not physical. 

Best of luck to you! 

BTW, I drink coffee every day. :D

Edited by NerdyLady
Gimme all the coffee
CelticGirl and Jen581791 like this

@NerdyLady You're my new best friend! LOL. So glad to hear you drink coffee everyday. And yes, I love my ice cold seltzer water all day long!!! It's so refreshing.

I'm already halfway there in that I don't really eat during the day. I work from home on my laptop and find carbs make me want to sleep so coffee is breakfast, organic granola lunch around 3:00-too many carbs for the diet so that will be a protein drink after surgery. No great loss.

In the daytime I'm excited about the surgery then at night in bed I'm stressed.

Those advertisements are killer. There was some show called Donuts or something like that and every time the commercial came on it showed a picture of all kinds of donuts. One being cherry with sprinkles, that and maple are a favorite. I don't normally eat them or even think about them, but that commercial killed every time even though I fast forwarded through it. I'm glad it's gone! We watch the show The Fosters and it starts with a big stack of pancakes with butter and syrup. What is wrong with these people? Shows where they're drinking Champagne make me want some.  I am looking forward to my cravings subsiding. Feeling gung ho now. Talk to me again two weeks in. LOL :wacko:

Gretta and NerdyLady like this

4 hours ago, CelticGirl said:

@NerdyLady You're my new best friend! LOL. So glad to hear you drink coffee everyday. And yes, I love my ice cold seltzer water all day long!!! It's so refreshing.

I'm already halfway there in that I don't really eat during the day. I work from home on my laptop and find carbs make me want to sleep so coffee is breakfast, organic granola lunch around 3:00-too many carbs for the diet so that will be a protein drink after surgery. No great loss.

In the daytime I'm excited about the surgery then at night in bed I'm stressed.

Those advertisements are killer. There was some show called Donuts or something like that and every time the commercial came on it showed a picture of all kinds of donuts. One being cherry with sprinkles, that and maple are a favorite. I don't normally eat them or even think about them, but that commercial killed every time even though I fast forwarded through it. I'm glad it's gone! We watch the show The Fosters and it starts with a big stack of pancakes with butter and syrup. What is wrong with these people? Shows where they're drinking Champagne make me want some.  I am looking forward to my cravings subsiding. Feeling gung ho now. Talk to me again two weeks in. LOL :wacko:

@CelticGirl

Best friend status accepted! 

IMG_5687.GIF

CelticGirl likes this

@CelticGirl

Just catching this thread... have only had 2 double espressos and 2 cups French roast this morning (posting from Hanoi, Vietnam, where meals  can be very French). Yes you can have caffeine so long as it doesn't trigger bad things! You must be honest with yourself if caffeine means sugar or latte-this or souped-up-coffee-that with calories. Some people it acts as an appetite stimulant... and right after surgery, when fluid intake is low, some people have run into problems if they drink a lot of it. Having said that ... I drink coffee, black, with artificial sweeteners and no adverse effects. 

And carbonation differs. I can have most mineral waters, a glass of most old Champagnes, but not young Champagne which tends to be exuberantly fizzy. I tolerate fizz much better now than I did after surgery. (Sodas were never my thing, and now when I have diet Coke or Pepsi... they taste bad to me, like the epitome of my prior bad habits packed into a can).

Some people have journeys that are easier with clear prohibitions, others are different. I can have coffee. I can't have trail mix in the house or I gobble it. Same with potato chips, or ginger snaps, or things like that... I will snack on them at night. So through trial and error I know what has to be prohibited, and what I can have a little bit of. The key is the habit of being HONEST with yourself. ;)

Edited by BurgundyBoy
added sentence
CJireh, NerdyLady and CelticGirl like this

@NerdyLady  Love it! :lol::D Yipee!

NerdyLady likes this

@BurgundyBoy Thanks for chiming in. I like French Roast with Equal and a splash of Molcha Mix.  Not a Starbucks kind of gal. Don't like flavored coffees or creamers. Don't care for flavored water or tea. I guess I'm kinda basic. If I cheat it's with a Coke. If home I have only one. If I'm out it's more like 3! But that's only with Mexican food. LOL. Love the sweet with the salty chips and salsa. 

Good to know you can drink mineral water. How long after surgery could you do this? Do you know? 

Thanks for answering this thread. 

Take care

NerdyLady likes this

On 10/13/2017 at 1:00 AM, ELLEVONS said:

Welcome CelticGirl,

To start with you could not have picked a better surgeon!  Doctor Callery and his staff are absolutely fabulous!  I had my RNY in May of 2013.  Was done at Pomerado Hospital.  I had no problems to speak of!  Sometimes you do have to go outside of family for positive support, family will come around if you stay positive, work the program, and lean on the positive people.  Good Luck!

Thanks ElleVons! So glad you liked the doc and staff. Thank you for your well wishes. I can tell already this is a great group! You're right, can't expect the family to understand no matter how hard I try to explain it. 

Take care

NerdyLady likes this

2 minutes ago, CelticGirl said:

@BurgundyBoy Thanks for chiming in. I like French Roast with Equal and a splash of Molcha Mix.  Not a Starbucks kind of gal. Don't like flavored coffees or creamers. Don't care for flavored water or tea. I guess I'm kinda basic. If I cheat it's with a Coke. If home I have only one. If I'm out it's more like 3! But that's only with Mexican food. LOL. Love the sweet with the salty chips and salsa. 

Good to know you can drink mineral water. How long after surgery could you do this? Do you know? 

Thanks for answering this thread. 

Take care

Um, lemme think. I tried green bottle of Pellegrino (mentioning name so you can judge degree of fizz) a week or two after surgery, no go. By 4 weeks, though, no problems. I buy Pellegrino by the case at Costco and it's fine. The bubbly water bought in plastic bottles from the local grocery stores (Metro Boston) tend to have lots and lots of fizz and have had less luck with them.

Same for a swag of a relative's Harpoon IPA beer at about 2 weeks (strictly for scientific purposes). No go at 2 weeks, ok at 4. Not drinking much beer now but if I do have a bit, I often let the fizz foam out for a few minutes before sipping it. [Obviously, lots of carbs in beer. Don't know if you have seen this stuff, but beer was a way to "store" the food energy of a crop harvest and drink the calories over the ensuing winter. Some historians have shown that beer accounted for about a quarter of caloric intake in Germany and parts of the UK several centuries ago. Ok, back to topic...]

I don't think I tried a diet Coke until about 4 weeks, and I still had problems with it then. Recent diet cokes --> best to let the fizz out for a few minutes first. Honestly am pretty off the sodas for taste/pleasure reasons now. 

Don't remember date of the Young Champagne but probably within a month too. I was shocked. And horrified, since Champagne would be hard for me to give up over the long haul. Old, cellared vintage champagne often has less fizz and tiny bubbles, so just not likely to be as much of a problem. Luckily I have friends who have cellared champagne so I get to try them every once in a while and they seem to be fine. :D When I get back to the US, again totally for scientific purposes of course, will open a bottle of the Young Champagne at our next dinner party and will report back to you as to its Suitability for people with WLS. I can only comment on the fizz, not the alcohol content for your Path. Clearly alcohol complicates any weight loss Path. 

Goes to the point that much of this fizz business is relative in a physical way.

Having discussed alcohol... Some if not all of us need bright lines not to be crossed, and am not encouraging anyone to cheat on things. Be honest with yourself if you do commit sins and transgressions. And anything/everything with calories => gets counted. And gets cut out again if you stall or your weight loss slows below your tolerance. I'm of the opinion I could only sin a little bit in the setting of 1-2 hours a day of exercise. And a lot of people with our backgrounds have problems with alcohol. So treat my observations as grist for the mill, not encouragement to hit the booze. Life is too short for that...

Jen581791, CelticGirl and NerdyLady like this

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 2:47 PM, Jen581791 said:

:lol::lol::lol: Come to our WLS support group meetings - we meet in a bakery!!!! You actually have to crawl through the cookie dough mixing vats to enter the meeting room! 

Hahahahaaaa.....this made me laugh and remember my bakery visit last weekend.  I'll blame the hubby.  I am, however, of the mindset that I *will* reward myself occasionally for my progress.  Donut shops here are amazing.  Hopefully I can upload a pic of the tiniest most adorable kolache ever, as well as the best donut hole I've ever had LOL ~

They were right, I did deserve it :P

IMG_1483.jpg

CelticGirl, Jen581791 and Gretta like this

On 10/15/2017 at 0:26 AM, BurgundyBoy said:

Um, lemme think. I tried green bottle of Pellegrino (mentioning name so you can judge degree of fizz) a week or two after surgery, no go. By 4 weeks, though, no problems. I buy Pellegrino by the case at Costco and it's fine. The bubbly water bought in plastic bottles from the local grocery stores (Metro Boston) tend to have lots and lots of fizz and have had less luck with them.

Same for a swag of a relative's Harpoon IPA beer at about 2 weeks (strictly for scientific purposes). No go at 2 weeks, ok at 4. Not drinking much beer now but if I do have a bit, I often let the fizz foam out for a few minutes before sipping it. [Obviously, lots of carbs in beer. Don't know if you have seen this stuff, but beer was a way to "store" the food energy of a crop harvest and drink the calories over the ensuing winter. Some historians have shown that beer accounted for about a quarter of caloric intake in Germany and parts of the UK several centuries ago. Ok, back to topic...]

I don't think I tried a diet Coke until about 4 weeks, and I still had problems with it then. Recent diet cokes --> best to let the fizz out for a few minutes first. Honestly am pretty off the sodas for taste/pleasure reasons now. 

Don't remember date of the Young Champagne but probably within a month too. I was shocked. And horrified, since Champagne would be hard for me to give up over the long haul. Old, cellared vintage champagne often has less fizz and tiny bubbles, so just not likely to be as much of a problem. Luckily I have friends who have cellared champagne so I get to try them every once in a while and they seem to be fine. :D When I get back to the US, again totally for scientific purposes of course, will open a bottle of the Young Champagne at our next dinner party and will report back to you as to its Suitability for people with WLS. I can only comment on the fizz, not the alcohol content for your Path. Clearly alcohol complicates any weight loss Path. 

Goes to the point that much of this fizz business is relative in a physical way.

Having discussed alcohol... Some if not all of us need bright lines not to be crossed, and am not encouraging anyone to cheat on things. Be honest with yourself if you do commit sins and transgressions. And anything/everything with calories => gets counted. And gets cut out again if you stall or your weight loss slows below your tolerance. I'm of the opinion I could only sin a little bit in the setting of 1-2 hours a day of exercise. And a lot of people with our backgrounds have problems with alcohol. So treat my observations as grist for the mill, not encouragement to hit the booze. Life is too short for that...

@BurgundyBoy Thank you for all the information. And I do appreciate you doing that scientific research for me. That is really going the extra mile!  Regarding the Champagne, that is not until I lose my weight.  Future reference. Although I must say I'm not sure about the new and old. I probably drink the new right now. The old is probably out of my budget, but would like the results of your research just the same!  The mineral water question is more immediate.  Something I'll have to find out for myself I'm afraid.  

BurgundyBoy likes this