Kio

Today I learned...

... that I have never actually experienced nausea before.

Oh, I've experienced vague discomfort that i knew would disappear if I threw up, and therefore I made myself throw up.  But today is the first time in my memory when I've felt my stomach attempting to move independently of my will in order to eject its contents.  Today is the first time I've shoved someone out of the way to get to the nearest safe receptacle of said contents. 

OMG.  To everyone I've ever wronged by thinking they were a wuss for complaining about nausea... I apologize.  I didn't know!

I also learned tuna is not a good thing.  Not now... perhaps not ever again.  *shudder*

It was my own fault - I got cocky.  The first serving of tuna went down pretty easily.  A few hours later, the second went down pretty easily.  Then, a few hours after that (because I still had tuna left in the fridge, I'd made the whole can...) the third went down... and then fought its way back up.  Aggressively.  

I think this is the hardest part about progression through the eating stages.  The learning part.  It was so easy back when everything was jello and greek yogurt and shakes...

:blink: Oh no. Not good. I hope you're feeling better now. 

The food stages are tricky. The evil fish who shall not be named has caused me problems before, usually if it's too dry. Who knows, though, sometimes our stomachs just say no. Very loudly and in a commanding voice.

I am so sorry Kio.  At 10 years post-RNY, throwing up is something I have yet to experience.  There have been occasions when I wish that I could relieve myself of whatever it was that was making me feel bad but the most I've managed was the foamies (didn't chew a chunk of strawberry enough.

On the tuna - the canned stuff is pretty dry and even now, I have to add a bit of mayo to it.

as a mother of 5, I can tell you what nausea is!!!  I had morning sickness with my first up until the day after I delivered!!!!  They brought me bfast in the hospital, and I said "not now, I won't be able to tolerate food until I throw up first" and she said  with concern "are you sick?" and I thought for a moment and said "actually, no!  I have not not been sick in 8 months!!!"  I also remember when pg w/ #3, I took the train to work but there are no bathrooms at the train stations, so one morning as I was being rocked back and forth on the train and my stomach could take NO more, I had to jump off at a station, run out to the trashcan on the platform, vomit up my breakfast and pretend I was normal while I waited for the next train, hoping I could make it the rest of the way (because there is NO place to throw up on the train!).  So, yeah, I am familiar with nausea and it stinks!  I get very nauseated when I take a multivitamin even to this day.  I tried it again last month thinking I had better get used to them but I got so sick each time...literally had to lay down for a few mins so I didn't vomit! 

Anyway, hope it hasn't ruined tuna for you forever.  Funny story, when I was pg w/ my first and throwing up all day ("morning" sickness is a misnomer), i stayed home one day and just laid in bed w/ a trashcan next to me and my husband put a stack of "easy listening" music on the record player (ok, so I am old!) and it was Barry Mannilow.  So, ALL day long I was nauseated, and throwing up and to this day (32 yrs later) I can NOT hear a Barry Mannilow song with out getting nauseous!  So it was like a psychological brain washing!!! hahaha!  Poor Barry....not that I  care about his songs, but sometimes I step in an elevator and hear his song and need to jump out so I don't get sick!!! haha!  Just a warning that tuna might do that on you IF it was traumatic enough....but hopefully you can try it again on a good day and forget the former can! :)

The smell of fish does me in.  Live and learn.  Maybe, if you really like tuna come back to it in a month or two?

Sorry to hear you got sick. I had that happen to me with ribs and shrimp - independently. I still can not stand to even look at ribs, but I managed to tolerate ONE shrimp a couple weeks ago. My first attempt was about 6 weeks ago, so give it some time and maybe one day you will be able to eat said fish again. Also, I have found that I can not eat multiple servings of the same food on the same day - like you did. I almost had an issue with chicken once, and it made me nervous because it is my go-to protein source so I really didn't want to mess that up since I still can not tolerate protein shakes. I hope you are feeling better!!!! Hugs!!!

For me seems it's any food that is specifically allowed I cannot tolerate.  Eggs hurt terribly, a single bite of chicken will make me vomit, as will fish(of course fish did it before surgery as well.)  Fortunately my NUT gave me permission to "go with whatever works" so now experimenting and have found a few options that I can handle, ironically they are things that the plan says I shouldn't be able to handle for months

I’m due to switch into the final diet phase in a week, and I’m not supposed to try beef until then. That said, my roomie made spaghetti sauce with ground beef the other night because she thought I could eat it, so I tried a bite. 

The second I put it in my mouth, I knew it wasn’t going to work. It was just so much harder to chew than anything else I’ve tried - too springy somehow. I didn’t even try to swallow it, just spit it into a napkin and set it aside. After a while I threw the rest away when she wasn’t looking. ;) 

I’ve tried one or two things that I knew would be fine, even though I’m not at that stage yet. Part of a protein bar - Quest, which I used a lot pre-op and knew I could purée with my teeth. And I’ve recently stolen one or two pistachios from the bag my roomie keeps on the counter, since they’re super soft as nuts go. No issues with either!

But I’ve had my last tuna for QUITE a while. 

Edited by Kio

15 hours ago, Trish13 said:

Sorry to hear you got sick. I had that happen to me with ribs and shrimp - independently. I still can not stand to even look at ribs, but I managed to tolerate ONE shrimp a couple weeks ago. My first attempt was about 6 weeks ago, so give it some time and maybe one day you will be able to eat said fish again. Also, I have found that I can not eat multiple servings of the same food on the same day - like you did. I almost had an issue with chicken once, and it made me nervous because it is my go-to protein source so I really didn't want to mess that up since I still can not tolerate protein shakes. I hope you are feeling better!!!! Hugs!!!

Thanks, Trish! I’ve found that chicken works really well for me too - dark meat, anyway, white is still a bit too dry. I had tried tuna two weeks ago and it was fine - seemed fine at first this time too? I’ve got some food phobias related to freshness that made it seem highly desirable to finish the tuna in one day, and it was just a 5.5 oz can do it seemed doable. But maybe that was just too much solid food for one day, even spaced out!

I’m feeling a lot better now - and being super careful!!!

15 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

The smell of fish does me in.  Live and learn.  Maybe, if you really like tuna come back to it in a month or two?

I like it, but usually with lots of things I can’t have yet - raw veggies like green pepper and baby spinach and tomato, with some pickles. I can definitely wait to try it again - until I can at least Doctor it up some!!

16 hours ago, Kio said:

I like it, but usually with lots of things I can’t have yet - raw veggies like green pepper and baby spinach and tomato, with some pickles. I can definitely wait to try it again - until I can at least Doctor it up some!!

I've found that the lower quality the tuna, the easier it is to get down, too. The cheap stuff is already in little bits and pieces and is softer and darker. The high quality stuff, which I prefer to eat, is much harder, as it comes in sort of steak-like chunks and is quite and much firmer. The stuff they use at Subway is about perfect - cheap and with lots of mayo!