NerdyLady

Two truths and a lie.

34 posts in this topic

On 10/13/2017 at 7:35 PM, NerdyLady said:

Thanks everyone for your kind words and advice. I think I will take the "low carb and exercise". In my head, that's what I figured I would do but I was taken completely off guard. I hate using Weight Watchers as an excuse because while this program may work for some people, I think WW is a load of hooey. WW was the first excuse that came to my mind, so I went with it.

I have told complete strangers who have mentioned weight loss  In fact, one of the local elected officials wants me to meet with her husband to discuss WLS. Ooh, I'm fancy. 

i need to be prepared for this weekend. Katya' birthday is on Sunday and I'm going to see a lot of people that I haven't seen in a while. Wish me luck! 

OK - GOOD LUCK! :D

(But you really don't need any extra, you are making your own good fortune). ;)

cinwa and Trish1967 like this

@NerdyLady and @Karimeaway - Happy Birthday to the kiddos today!  I hope everything goes smoothly for you both (as smoothly as kids parties can go, right?).  I'm sure you will conquer any and all challenges headed your way!

NerdyLady and Trish1967 like this

On 10/13/2017 at 10:34 AM, Karimeaway said:

Oh my Matthew is turning 4 this Sunday! Happy Birthday Katya!

image.jpeg

Aww!! What a beautiful son you have!! Happy birthday to him ❤️❤️❤️

I also have a Matthew, but he's 29, lol. 

On 10/13/2017 at 8:35 AM, NerdyLady said:

i need to be prepared for this weekend. Katya' birthday is on Sunday and I'm going to see a lot of people that I haven't seen in a while. Wish me luck! 

Good luck today, @NerdyLady!! Happy birthday to your sweet (monkey butt, lol) Katya!! ❤️❤️❤️

i LOVE clusie!!!! 

meh, i am generally a very honest person, but when it comes to my surgery, i will keep it private at just about any cost. My personal health history is not fodder for gossip.  I mean, if i were angelina jolie and rolling in the dough, maybe i'd be ok with the tradeoff of less privacy.  i assure you, i'm NOT angelina. so. too bad. i tell you what i want you to know.  i'd say you can rest easy. 

Jen581791 likes this

On 10/13/2017 at 10:34 AM, Karimeaway said:

Oh my Matthew is turning 4 this Sunday! Happy Birthday Katya!

image.jpeg

@Karimeaway Give Matthew a special birthday hug from me!! It's hard work turning 4. :D

I just tell everyone that asks these days. I only told a couple before surgery but one of those turned out to be very judgemental and as I knew her well enough to know she'd make sure everyone she knew (and many she didn't) would hear her negative opinion, I realised I'd need to be upfront eventually. So after my surgery I was honest. I had  the advantage that my surgery was a medically necessary revision. I haven't been open about the original surgery, just that I had to have an RNY to fix an issue that resulted from scar tissue from an older gall bladder surgery. That was done before they started doing that laprascopically, and at the same time as my original WLS, I'm just omitting the WLS bit. I told people that I knew going into this surgery I had been told by the surgeon that an RNY was a possible outcome, but no-one knew exactly what would happen until they opened me up. It is 100% true that going in the surgeon didn't know exactly what would happen, but the fact is I 100% went in knowing that the RNY was the plan. I'll likely be moving away in the next couple of years, so the weightloss topic is likely going to disappear with a clean slate.

One benefit I've certainly found since being honest is just how many others have either already had surgery, or are in the process of having it. It's nice to be able to share experiences with those that know and understand the process. I have very much appreciated the openness of others once I've been honest.

Jen581791 likes this

I tend to either tell the truth or avoid answering.  I personally feel that people will judge me and gossip about me one way or another for one reason or another either way it goes so,  I refuse to be ashamed of the decisions I make.  I will not announce it to a room full of people though,  so if it's not asked in a  1 on 1 conversation situation,  I will say.. "It's a long drawn-out story, actually.  I'll tell you about it one day",  then quickly change the subject. 

Gretta and NerdyLady like this

Yesterday, I told the truth to two people. One was the cashier at CVS who remarked on my weight loss. She has always been kind to me, so I told her. 

The other person I told is a mom from my neighborhood who was trying to decide if she should try for another child. I told her why I couldn't/shouldn't have another child and WLS came up. She is an empathetic person and it felt good to tell her. 

Empathy goes a long way in my book. It's easier for me to tell people the truth if I know the question is coming from a place of kindness and not a gossipy mind. 

TammyP, Aussie H and Gretta like this