AustinJ

Last Supper Syndrome Anyone?

26 posts in this topic

As my surgery date, more specifically my pre-op liquid diet, comes closer I find myself wanting to go out and eat unhealthy foods more. I have cracked a little but not to the point of exceeding my caloric and nutritional goals....... Yet. Are there any suggestion on how to deal with this mental Sith trying to pull me to the dark side?

I enjoyed a few last suppers as my preop diet approached.  Not suggesting it's the right thing to do, just that I did it :)

As I recall, I visited my favorite Mexican place, my favorite BBQ joint and my favorite microbrewery, thinking it would be my "last chance".  Guess what, now that I'm at goal, I occasionally eat at those places again.  Not what I ate before but I feel good afterwards and have at least 2 more meals from the leftovers lol. 

Life post WLS is so good!

I did not but that was not of my choosing.

I had an umbilical hernia that decided to turn nasty and when I arrived for my pre-op, I never left and had surgery later that day.

Pity, I had it all planned out and as I'd done exceptionally well on my pre-op (I lost 34.8lb), I was going to have a last supper like no other.  Can't remember the specifics but I do know it was going to end with a huge helping of gooey hot chocolate fudge cake with icecream and cream.  But things have a habit of working out as they should but to this day, I still feel shortchanged. 

Jen581791 and tracyringo like this

I have three places figured out that I want to go to before the pre-op liquid diets starts. My favorite Pizza place, steak house and the movies for a buttery bucket of popcorn. Does anyone eat popcorn after surgery? How long did you have to wait? We make homemade popcorn with our air popper that's low calorie and would still like to enjoy it occasionally after surgery but am not sure if it is a forbidden food because of the hulls.

tracyringo likes this

I eat popcorn, but didn't until I was out maybe 6 months or so.  It is something I have to be careful with because you can eat a LOT of popcorn and it's easy to get into that mindless munching thing that was part of what got me to the point of needing WLS. 

BurgundyBoy and Jen581791 like this

I have a feeling most have indulged in the days prior to the pre op diet, and have ready more than a few posts admitting to doing it during their preop liquid diet.  I personally feel that a small cheat now can postpone the desire to cheat later when it could potentially derail surgery or cause injury, if your plan is similar to mine, between preop and postop it's a full month with no solid food then restrictions for weeks/months thereafter.  Remember moderation is key, you have come a long way already and don't want to go backwards.

I share your curiosity re-popcorn.  Assumed it was on the banish list due to carb content, but hadn't considered the hulls, any input long timers?

45 minutes ago, AustinJ said:

I have three places figured out that I want to go to before the pre-op liquid diets starts. My favorite Pizza place, steak house and the movies for a buttery bucket of popcorn. Does anyone eat popcorn after surgery? How long did you have to wait? We make homemade popcorn with our air popper that's low calorie and would still like to enjoy it occasionally after surgery but am not sure if it is a forbidden food because of the hulls.

In order to succeed long term after weight loss surgery you need to develop a “new relationship with food” in which food is not viewed as a source of comfort (or of escape from the stresses of life). Instead, you will need to develop an approach to food based on mindful and thoughtful eating.

The good news is that the pre op and post op diet will help you develop over the course of several months this new and more healthy relationship with food. In addition, with massive weight loss you will learn that the joys of being thin, healthy and more active (and knowing that you should live a decade or more longer) are much much more wonderful than any of the short term “joys” of unhealthy eating.  Unhealthy food is not your friend - it is the reason that you are (as we all were pre op) so overweight and unhealthy.

You will also need to develop an approach to food that is based on consuming lean protein.  Popcorn, even air popped, is a bad food choice as it will fill you up with food that has almost no protein.

So if you are thinking about having a big unhealthy meal (or two or even three) prior to your surgery, I strongly encourage you to try very hard to avoid this. With your weight loss surgery coming up, now is the best time to crack down and stop eating unhealthy food. 

By the way, there is no practical reason to have big/unhealthy final meals, as you probably still will be able to eat (especially once you reach your goal weight) almost any kind of food in strict moderation - including steak, pizza, popcorn, etc. Perhaps most importantly, you almost certainly will not miss your old unhealthy meals; I certainly do not miss my old unhealthy foods. 

Trust your surgeon and your surgeon’s diet plan, and you will lose your extra weight. Life is truly fabulous at goal weight.  

We are here to support you. 

cinwa, Jen581791, bellamoma and 1 other like this

5 minutes ago, Res Ipsa said:

In order to succeed long term after weight loss surgery you need to develop a “new relationship with food” in which food is not viewed as a source of comfort (or of escape from the stresses of life). Instead, you will need to develop an approach to food based on mindful and thoughtful eating.

Thank you for your insight from the other side.

Res Ipsa likes this

I had a last day of special things.  We had bloody Mary's and eggs Benedict in the morning at a pub and a prime rib, loaded potato and blooming onion at outback he Saturday before.  I love prime rib but the pieces are huge and I don't want it reheated.  I have not had a repeat of this day since...

popcorn, I was cleared at 6 months.  Every so often I pop a one hundred calorie bag and eat about half.  Or if I go to the movies I smuggle a ziplock with my low cal or smart pop popcorn in it.  Hubby eats the butter laden tub.  I sometimes take jersey, string cheese or a protein bar...

Jen581791 likes this

The night before my one week of liquids I also ate at Outback.  Loaded baked tator and prime rib.  No regrets :)

I was quite a popcorn maniac pre-surgery.  I have had a few kernels at the movies.  And I will occasionally open a bag of 100 calorie Skinny Popcorn, but that is rare.

Jen581791 likes this

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that got/gets these urges in the weeks leading up to surgery. I am going to try my best to stay within my calorie and nutritional guide lines set by my nutritionist. I have so far and I believe I will be able to continue to do so.

@Res Ipsa is 110% correct!

... that said, I ate my way through half a bag of rolls with butter a week before my surgery - all in one day.

... don't be like me!

Res Ipsa likes this

I feel you, @AustinJ - I don't even have a surgery date yet and I've had to talk myself out of planning to eat a huge "last meal" a couple times already. But the others are right, that kind of thinking is an example of the how we all got into trouble in the first place. 

I may end up having a reasonably celebratory meal out - not gorging myself on pizza and ice cream, but instead going to my favorite Japanese restaurant for a set meal with some of my favorites. It's not that I won't ever be able to have them again, but it will probably be a while. Since I guarantee you that I didn't get fat in the first place off of agedashi tofu, tempura, and goma-ae, I think it's safe to enjoy them before I have to stay clear for a few months. :) We'll see. I'm working through a lot of feelings about "food as fuel" vs. "food as enjoyment" and finding out where it's okay to draw the line on the latter. 

Jen581791 and BurgundyBoy like this

7 hours ago, kristinwitha_k said:

...I'm working through a lot of feelings about "food as fuel" vs. "food as enjoyment" and finding out where it's okay to draw the line on the latter. 

Very insightful. 

I had a last meal of BBQ ribs and excellent red wine with a group of friends who helped me to wave bon voyage to over-eating. Subsequently I've only had ribs a couple of times, and each time only 1 or 2 ribs was enough. 

re: popcorn, I find that if we go to the movies and it is there in a bucket, I will eat far too much of it. The 100 calorie bags are the only safe route for me. 

kristinwitha_k, cinwa and Jen581791 like this

I think of this often.....but haven't really decided what and when, but I will go out for one last meal out (regular meal) w/ my husband before my preop diet starts.  Not really bc I won't be able to eat certain foods anymore but mostly because I will be on liquids for at least a month so I want to enjoy real food for the last time before a while of liquids then softs etc.  I don't think I will eat to excess and vomiting but will enjoy it...and yes, I will have ice cream afterwards :)

No last supper for me. I had this weird reaction to getting my surgery scheduled: it's like someone switched off my "hedonistic" button. I just stopped eating/drinking anything that wasn't healthy (low carb, high protein). I had a couple of 100 calorie bags of popcorn leading up to my liquid diet, but that was it. I wish I could bottle whatever that motivation was and sell it - I'd make a zillion dollars. My "last supper" was a plate of shrimp al diablo and broccoli. I have a picture of it. It's exactly what I'm going to have for dinner tonight, but just larger portions. I even had dinner at a Red Lobster in the weeks leading up to surgery (not really my thing, but I had a gift certificate) and ate some... shrimp and broccoli (and a glass of wine, but no biscuits!). Are you sensing a theme here? Apparently I eat a lot of shrimp and broccoli.

2 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

No last supper for me. I had this weird reaction to getting my surgery scheduled: it's like someone switched off my "hedonistic" button. I just stopped eating/drinking anything that wasn't healthy (low carb, high protein). I had a couple of 100 calorie bags of popcorn leading up to my liquid diet, but that was it. I wish I could bottle whatever that motivation was and sell it - I'd make a zillion dollars. My "last supper" was a plate of shrimp al diablo and broccoli. I have a picture of it. It's exactly what I'm going to have for dinner tonight, but just larger portions. I even had dinner at a Red Lobster in the weeks leading up to surgery (not really my thing, but I had a gift certificate) and ate some... shrimp and broccoli (and a glass of wine, but no biscuits!). Are you sensing a theme here? Apparently I eat a lot of shrimp and broccoli.

You lucky person! to have hedonic hunger switched off!! (How in the world did you get heavy to start with, then?)

Deeply enviously, BB

15 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

You lucky person! to have hedonic hunger switched off!! (How in the world did you get heavy to start with, then?)

Deeply enviously, BB

It was switched off AFTER the surgery was scheduled! Beforehand, it was definitely in the "on" position. For my whole life.

.... (Pssst... was it the Weight Loss Aliens who installed that switch in you? .... Did they leave a contact number??)

You're right. If you could bottle and sell it, the world would be an healthier place and you'd be as rich... as ... JK Rowling, who clearly has a little magic up her sleeve!

Jen581791 likes this

So I went to Longhorn Steak House tonight one of the places on my "last supper" list. I was very stingy with my calorie and carb intake all day since I knew we were going there tonight. I had a 6 oz Renegade Sirloin steak, Fresh Steamed Asparagus, and water. I did have one small piece of the complimentary honey wheat bread and let my son and wife finish of the rest. That's only 467 cal., 18g Carbs,  43g protein, and only 3g sugars. I feel I did very well knowing that I would have in the past easily eaten 1,500 calories or more and that wouldn't include the calories from pop that I would have had. Since I did so well I am way under calories for the day.:D I guess you can have your cake and eat it too... as long as it isn't cake. :blink:

Edited by AustinJ
BurgundyBoy, cinwa, TammyP and 6 others like this

Great job, @AustinJ! You made really good (& delicious!) choices!

5 hours ago, AustinJ said:

I guess you can have your cake and eat it too... as long as it isn't cake. :blink:

:lol::lol::lol: 

Right! 

Great choices for dinner, btw. Meat and veg - great training for after you're a few months out from surgery. Perfect low carb meal.

2 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

:lol::lol::lol: 

Right! 

Great choices for dinner, btw. Meat and veg - great training for after you're a few months out from surgery. Perfect low carb meal.

I couldn't agree more with Jen.

You're using your pre-op time wisely and making good choices Austin.  And that's what this journey is all about.

Jen581791 likes this

@AustinJ they are great choices, I think you will do well post-surg!  

Thank you all for all the positive words. It helps chip away at all the nerves of making life long change. Even though I know I will succeed, there are always seeds of doubt and fear of failure. I find that TT and my local group help to keep me informed and educated. Knowledge is power, and with that power I will defeat the weight that has plagued me my entire life.

NerdyLady, TammyP, Gretta and 2 others like this