Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Emmajsmom

2 Week Pre-op has begun

6 posts in this topic

I haven't been extremely active on here but I have been reading a lot of threads! 

My 2 week pre-op liquid diet has officially begun with surgery on 10/23!!!  I cannot believe how quick the whole process went!  Liquid diet yesterday went okay but I can tell it's going to be really boring for awhile.  My rules are 3 protein shakes a day.  All sugar free and decaf, no carbonated beverages.  Applesauce, jello, popsicles, pudding all sugar free and low fat broths or strained broth soups.

If anyone has any tips on anything good I would gladly take them!  

Edited by Emmajsmom
Jen581791 likes this

Congrats, @Emmajsmom! You're in the final stretch of the waiting :) You are totally right - it's boring. But, you just have to put up with it. It's the price of admission. 

Some tips on the liquid phase: spice up your broths. Try some restaurant broths (well, soups, but strain all the goodies out). Thai, Chinese, Japanese, anything that'll give you some variety. 

Try blending your shakes with some ice to make somewhat of a milkshake. Texture... something you'll be missing.

Maybe try ordering a variety pack of protein powders (Syntrax has 17 flavors, I think). Then you'll have some variety, keeping in mind that your tastes may change after surgery. Don't buy any giant tubs of protein powder right now!

Most of all, remember to take a walk or something if you get hungry or have a headache from carb withdrawal or just feel lethargic. Try to get your mind off your stomach. That's easier said than done during the liquid diet, I know <_<

Best of luck! Keep us posted!

CJireh likes this

good luck @Emmajsmom  I am sure it is boring! I have to do an all liquid diet starting Thursday through Friday just for an endospcopy and colonoscopy, and I am already wondering what to have!! At least you have a reason for it all...eye on the prize!

Sugar free gum got me through the liquid phase. So excited for you!

Getting through the first 3 or so days of a liquid diet can be tough but hang in there, it does get easier.  Up your fluids as much as you can.

My best advise is to keep busy, I gave myself so much to do that I didn't have time to think about how hungry I was.  Also helps with the anxiety that will likely emerge in the couple days immediately before.  Word to the wise though, if diabetic keep close watch on your b/s, between the reduced intake and activity might need to adjust meds(with docs approval of course) or risk going too low.  Cinva is right after 3-4 days gets easier, the first few you will feel like you won't be able to get through, but once you do it just seems routine.