CJireh

Gym?

13 posts in this topic

So when did you guys/gals join a gym?  I worked at a gym for 10 years and then joined one for 9 months and then dropped it last year when we did major renovations at home and I didn't have time to go to the gym.  Now I know I need to rejoin but am wondering about timing.  How long did you all have to wait to get back to the gym after the surgery?  Did any of you work out presurg or just wait til afterwards?  I know I should do it today (ok, well, yesterday!) but I am wondering about what you all did (not that it would hurt me to join now, just curious).

Most doctors say wait 6 weeks after surgery before strenuous workouts.  Some may vary...

BurgundyBoy likes this

31 minutes ago, Cheesehead said:

Most doctors say wait 6 weeks after surgery before strenuous workouts.  Some may vary...

This

Treadmill is fine at any point after surgery. Your surgeon will let you know about the rest of it. 

Starting pre-surgery is a great idea - the better shape you're in, the easier your recovery will be, and hey, maybe you'll add a bit of muscle in the meantime :) 

cinwa likes this

I'm a month out and still just on treadmill - but I can add that even on treadmill you might want to take it easy for a while.  My hardest workout was last week, and I had some twinges/pulling sensations in my incisions during the exercise.  I've slowed down a little since then, keeping the pace steady at just where I need to be to get my heart rate up.  

Me: Continued pre-existing membership. Swam the same day i was cleared to shower, walked 3 miles day or two after surgery. Cycled a week after. Everyone is different. Waiting 4-6 weeks may be needed under some circumstances but most of us can probably do something early on. There is nothing in the scientific literature saying you have to wait. I would have gone raving mad if told i was not able to exercise. In my surgeon's post surgery group there are lots of successful people who went to gym in first week after surgery.

My bias is, if you can walk, do it, for as long as your knees allow. If you can shower then it is safe to swim, so go swim. If your belly hurts, go do biceps curls.  This is all about escaping the bad habits of obesity and living a long time in good health. One of the bad habits is avoiding exercise.

Ok, off soap box now...

Kio likes this

1 hour ago, Cheesehead said:

Agree with word "strenuous." My bias is that 99% of us should be doing something, even modest exercise, soon after surgery.

Kio likes this

I went back to teaching hour-long cardio classes 17 days after surgery. I was cleared for light weight lifting (no more than 15 pounds per hand) at 6 weeks out. I was cleared for core work and heavy weight lifting at 3 months out.

BurgundyBoy likes this

I went to use the treadmill at about 3 weeks out (only because I live in a rural area and there are no sidewalks).  I wasn't cleared for anything else until the 6 week mark.

BurgundyBoy likes this

Currently pre-op and just rejoined a gym last week. My surgery will likely be in December sometime, but I figured getting some extra strength and cardio in before then couldnt hurt! My pre-op instructions state no weight lifting for six weeks, but that walking is fine, and they've told me elliptical/arc trainer/recumbent biking machines are fine as well, as long as I dont hurt. 

BurgundyBoy and Kio like this

I added working out as a part of my 6 month pre-op requirement. Once I was cleared to do so by my surgeon (which for most I think is 6 weeks), I went back to the gym. As others have noted, walking on either a treadmill or outside, is encouraged immediately post-op for healing so I did this as much as I could tolerate. It's hard to know how much it will take to get fatigued so my only suggestion is to pay really close attention to what your body is telling you.

All my medical professionals encouraged me to exercise for the health benefits and not as a means to manage my weight. I've since come to understand and appreciate this; weight loss is about food, not fitness. I exercise for all the other reasons, and as much as I hate doing it, I must admit I really love the results.

I could give you a bunch of tips about the gym but at the end of the day, the best exercise is the one that you'll actually do.....consistently.

Best of luck!

Gretta, BurgundyBoy and Jen581791 like this

I wish I had done more gym type of exercise before my surgery. Prior to WLS, my main form of exercise was walking. I'm not knocking walking but it doesn't build strength like a more vigorous type of workout. I was *very* fatigued for the first month postop, which I don't hear from other folks on the forum. I think my lack of strength was part of the reason for my lack of energy. 

I was cleared for strength training 30 days after surgery. My surgeon encouraged me to light exercise as soon as possible to encourage my organs to drop (that may have been a little lost in translation). He told me to do as much as I could without pushing myself too hard. 

My advice is to exercise as much as you can in the days leading up to surgery. My gym allows you to freeze your membership for as long as you need  

Jen581791 likes this

I forgot about the ability to "freeze" a membership for medical reasons....I think I will go sign up this weekend then.  I didn't want to pay for it and then loose the 6 wks of workouts while paying still.  Thanks for reminding me! :) My main form of exercising right now is also walking but I feel like it is building no strength.  I might as well jump in and start now while I can!

BurgundyBoy and NerdyLady like this