Trish1967

Has anyone heard from Michael_A?

49 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone has heard from @Michael_A? I didn't know if I had missed a post on whether he has had his surgery yet or not. If someone knows, please let me know how he's doing.

tracyringo likes this

I was wondering the same thing...wasn't he going on a big trip?  But it's been a long time.

I was wondering that myself. @Michael_A if you are reading this, I miss you! 

Me too! @Michael_A, let us know how things are going. 

NerdyLady likes this

I emailed him a week ago, no response. I am very fearful for him. it is not like him to be distant.

@Michael_A

NerdyLady likes this

I'm getting worried, too.  @Michael_A, hope you see this soon and let us know how you're doing!  Our thoughts are with you.

NerdyLady likes this

He hasn't been on the forum in close to a week :( .  I've emailed him with a link to this thread.

NerdyLady and Kio like this

At one point it was looking like surgery would be Oct 10 - hope everything is okay @Michael_A

Kio, Trish1967 and NerdyLady like this

51 minutes ago, cinwa said:

He hasn't been on the forum in close to a week :( .  I've emailed him with a link to this thread.

Please let me know if you hear back from him by email. I really hope he's ok. Same goes, @BurgundyBoy. I'd really appreciate it!

NerdyLady and Kio like this

Posted (edited)

@Michael_A we do miss you!  I hope everything is ok?  

Please, regular posters if you know you are going missing for a while let someone know, so we don't worry about you!

Edited by Cheesehead
Kio, cinwa, Trish1967 and 1 other like this

Just now, Cheesehead said:

@Michael_A we do miss you!  I hope everything is ok?  

Please, regular posters if you know you are going missing for a while let someone know, sonwe don't worry about you!

^^^Yes, please!!

Kio likes this

42 minutes ago, Cheesehead said:

Please, regular posters if you know you are going missing for a while let someone know, sonwe don't worry about you!

I second that!  

Trish1967 and Kio like this

Looking for @bellamoma too.  Hope she's ok..

Trish1967 likes this

Wow, thanks for the concern! All is well.

One thing we learn here on this forum is that liver size is a concern and that's why we are placed on a liquid diet 2-3 weeks before surgery, to shrink the liver. It has to be lifted out of the way during surgery (for gastric bypass) with a special tool/holder for the duration of the surgery. We've all heard people say that their surgeons tried to scare them will lines like "if your liver is too big when you get to the OR then we won't even perform the operation", etc. 

So I have seemingly picked the one surgeon in the US who is completely focused on liver size. She won't operate until it reaches a certain size. Based on my time here on the forum, I realize she is completely unique in this. The truth is, in spite of having you go through the motions, I believe most surgeons will perform the operation regardless, because I have yet to see a member here say "I cheated badly on my liquid diet, didn't tell my surgeon, and then when I woke up from surgery they hadn't done the procedure because my liver was too big". But my surgeon thinks its a big deal. She doesn't want the liver to bleed during the operation or even get bruised in any way. So, that has had me getting ultrasounds, nearly every month for the last few months, to check liver size. The last one in Aug was close but not quite enough for her. 

I have another this Weds and I'm sure it will be good. I've continued to lose weight, and the irony is that I will have lost almost  half my goal weight before surgery. They have unofficially penciled me in for mid- Nov, but I'm honestly tired of talking about dates. 

I did check with the insurance co about switching surgeons, but it would take longer to get surgery that way, than it would for me to just do what I have to do now.

And since I'm pretty much in neutral, going about my business waiting for time to go by, I needed a break from the forum and get surgery off my mind.

1 minute ago, Michael_A said:

One thing we learn here on this forum is that liver size is a concern and that's why we are placed on a liquid diet 2-3 weeks before surgery, to shrink the liver. It has to be lifted out of the way during surgery (for gastric bypass) with a special tool/holder for the duration of the surgery. We've all heard people say that their surgeons tried to scare them will lines like "if your liver is too big when you get to the OR then we won't even perform the operation", etc. 

So I have seemingly picked the one surgeon in the US who is completely focused on liver size. She won't operate until it reaches a certain size. Based on my time here on the forum, I realize she is completely unique in this. The truth is, in spite of having you go through the motions, I believe most surgeons will perform the operation regardless, because I have yet to see a member here say "I cheated badly on my liquid diet, didn't tell my surgeon, and then when I woke up from surgery they hadn't done the procedure because my liver was too big". But my surgeon thinks its a big deal. She doesn't want the liver to bleed during the operation or even get bruised in any way. So, that has had me getting ultrasounds, nearly every month for the last few months, to check liver size. The last one in Aug was close but not quite enough for her. 

I have another this Weds and I'm sure it will be good. I've continued to lose weight, and the irony is that I will have lost almost  half my goal weight before surgery. They have unofficially penciled me in for mid- Nov, but I'm honestly tired of talking about dates. 

I did check with the insurance co about switching surgeons, but it would take longer to get surgery that way, than it would for me to just do what I have to do now.

And since I'm pretty much in neutral, going about my business waiting for time to go by, I needed a break from the forum and get surgery off my mind.

I completely respect your need for a break and some privacy. That said, I was thrilled to see you respond to this post. Consider yourself hugged!! 

Glad to hear from you, @Michael_A!  I understand the need for a break - it can be a lot and mentally you need to step away. I am glad things are still going well and moving forward, albeit slowly. We will all be waiting here for you when your are ready to get back on!!! Best wishes for continued loss and getting a surgery date in the very near future. :)

Trish1967, Michael_A and Jen581791 like this

10 hours ago, Michael_A said:

@Michael_A

I didn't want to say this earlier because I wanted to be positive about your surgeon. However, it's been gnawing at me all day, so I'll just say it. Have you given more thought of going to Mexico? Both @Jen581791 and I had effective outcomes with our surgeries. I can't speak for Jen's hospital but my hospital rivaled any medical facility in the United States. Of course, everyone's body is different and I don't know if what worked for me will work for you.

I believe Jen's surgery was less than mine (I could have made that up) but I don't regret a dime of that payment. I chose Tijuana because it was close to Los Angeles. Tijuana could be a better choice than somewhere else in Mexico because it would save you travel time. My hospital makes transport very easy from the San Diego airport  

I understand if this isn't an option but I want to put it out there as a possibility. You had mentioned that you had considered self pay. Maybe it's time to revisit this idea?

Best of luck to you. xo

Jen581791 and Trish1967 like this

17 hours ago, Michael_A said:

@Michael_A Noted. We needn't be a bother! and surgery will help cement the loss for the long run, etc. 

I am sure it is frustrating waiting but glad you're losing while waiting.  Your liver will be the best cared for liver in the world, so that is good! :) good luck with the u/s tomorrow!

NerdyLady and Trish1967 like this

Goodness that has to be frustrating. Totally understand the need to back off, just very glad you're okay!

NerdyLady, Trish1967 and Michael_A like this

19 hours ago, Michael_A said:

Michael,

Thank you so much for the update. I'm so sorry you are still waiting, but hopefully November will be the magic month for you. You'be been such a positive presence here, and when I hadn't seen you posting much, I got worried. I can totally understand your need to take a break from the forum, but know that we are here for you when you're ready to come back! Please take good care of yourself 

kayak19 and NerdyLady like this

On 10/8/2017 at 0:12 PM, Cheesehead said:

Looking for @bellamoma too.  Hope she's ok..

No word from bellamoma yet?

NerdyLady likes this

31 minutes ago, Trish1967 said:

No word from bellamoma yet?

None Trish - she hasn't been online since August 14.  :(

NerdyLady likes this

1 hour ago, cinwa said:

None Trish - she hasn't been online since August 14.  :(

:(

NerdyLady likes this

Hey ya'll.  first let me say how sorry i am for any concern! I see your NSVs and think about you all so much.  I can't believe i became one of the ones who was super active and then dropped off. Not my intention, for sure. 

Overall I am doing pretty well. I am maintaining, although it seems consuming at times. Maintaining is hard. I'm doing it, but it feels like a full time job sometimes. Thankfully no compulsive behaviors have developed, although I sure do love to shop. I have cooled off on that though. God I love shopping. 

Anyways! I signed on because I wanted to check in with everyone and see how ya'll are doing and to say hi. Lo, there was a notification that cheesehead was looking for me, as well as some others. I am so touched. I love you guys!!!!! 

PS, my baby is in full time kindergarten! what??!!!!