Lori Momoftwins

Coming home from hospital

8 posts in this topic

Hello all, I had gastric bypass on Tuesday October 3.  Came home Thursday.   Why do I weigh more than before the surgery?   Is that normal

Jen581791 and Kio like this

It's totally normal Lori.  You are flooded with fluids via your IV and also surgery related stress results in high levels of antidiuretic hormone, or ADH, which makes the kidneys conserve the body’s water. 

Jen581791, Kio and Lori Momoftwins like this

You're fine! As @cinwa said, it's fluids from the op itself.

It feels really alarming to go through surgery to lose weight and come out the other end heavier, though, isn't it? Someone should warn us!!! It takes a week or so to go away, and the pounds will start dropping off. You'll lose pretty fast for a couple of weeks (probably) and then have a stall for a few days or a week at around three weeks (probably), which is also normal, but it can make you feel panicked. Just keep following doctor's orders, and you'll do great.

Congrats on going through with it and welcome to the losers bench.

Lori Momoftwins, Res Ipsa and Kio like this

I gained 11 lbs in the hospital!!!  They were gone by the end of the first week.  :) 

Jen581791 likes this

Thanks everyone, and thanks for the support

Jen581791, Gretta and BurgundyBoy like this

13 minutes ago, Lori Momoftwins said:

Thanks everyone, and thanks for the support

Yes - this is normal. Everyone is different in terms of how long it takes to lose the excess fluid. If you are able to walk, it's likely to help you both get rid of the fluid and get those abdominal muscles in shape. Just hang tight and don't get too focused on your weight, you're going to lose weight like a bandit soon enough. Focus on staying hydrated and getting that protein in to max out your healing. 

Lori Momoftwins and Jen581791 like this

I just about had a heart attack when they weighed me before leaving the hospital, it was up 7 pounds..  but they explained it was from the Ivs and would quickly go away..  

Lori Momoftwins likes this

As the others said, it is completely normal, they pump you full of fluids and there is swelling from the surgery, its normal to weigh more.  I think I was up about 15 pounds when I came home from my sleeve.

Lori Momoftwins likes this