FishOn

Fresh off the boat

Hello Folks! Just had my Gastric Sleeve surgery 10/2/17 a couple of days ago by Dr. Hamamji. He also repaired a hiatal hernia in the process. Can't believe I finally did it. Been looking forward to this moment and looking forward to being the best I can be once again. A former Marine, I am trying to recapture my former self. In another life I was given the nickname "Poster Marine" as I always maintained a standard head and shoulders above my peers and was a perfectionist. Perfection in both body and mind. I started having weight issues when I got the notion that it took 200 lbs to be a real man. I gained to 200 pounds but did it the wrong way developing a lot of fat cells and a love for carnitas along the way. Having had a gym membership most of my adult life, it's just a matter of daily commitment. I just finished a six month journey with Dr. Dao my nutritionist and successfully lost 45 pounds prior to having the surgery.In 2012/2013 I had both knees replaced and was ok for the first couple of years. During the last year my weight skyrocketed to 307 and I became diabetic mainly from bad eating choices and total lack of exercise. The straw that broke the camel's back for now I had high blood pressure, suffered a stroke, sleep apnea, osteoarthritis, diabetes and some ED. Do I really have a death wish? All of my ailments are due to my inability to close my mouth. The only meds I want to take are vitamins. I have opened a new chapter in my life and look forward to getting lean and mean. I look forward to befriending you and getting to know your struggles and share mine with you. 1st question is I find it impossible to be on a clear liquid diet during the first week eating only broth and jello and seeking to put in 60 grams of protein into your body daily when the protein in those foods only give you 1 or 2 grams per serving??? OK I missed the form that said I can have protein shakes

STARTING.JPG

Edited by GimmeSomePT

Welcome to the forum!! I'm excited to follow your progress as you move through the early stages of being post op and beyond! I hope you're feeling well :) Make sure to get in as much water as you can tolerate, and follow your surgeon's instructions, and you'll get where you want to be!! 

Welcome!

Congrats on a successful surgery, and hope everything goes well during recovery.

Welcome! It sounds like you have can-do attitude! That will help a lot :) I wish you the best and hope you'll stick around here to update us on how you're doing.

Welcome to the losers bench!  It's a great place to be!  I was taking 18 pills a day before surgery.  I'd much rather take a few vitamins and supplements:).  Good luck on this journey!

Welcome to Thinner Times GimmeSomePT and congratulations on your recent VSG surgery.

Welcome!  We are here to support and inform you on your weight loss surgery journey.

If you can survive Marine boot camp, the post op diet will be easy for you. :D  A life of being healthy, thin and much more active awaits you.

11 hours ago, GimmeSomePT said:

....During the last year my weight skyrocketed to 307 and I became diabetic mainly from bad eating choices and total lack of exercise. The straw that broke the camel's back for now I had high blood pressure, suffered a stroke, sleep apnea, osteoarthritis, diabetes and some ED. Do I really have a death wish? All of my ailments are due to my inability to close my mouth....

Wouldn't beat myself up. We are pre-programmed (like from our paleolithic ancestors) to maintain a high weight once we get there. If your really had a death wish you would not have had the surgery! And these things - diabetes, high BP, sleep apnea, arthritis - should get better at a lower weight. 

Welcome to the Forum!

Congratz on the surgery PT!!!  Welcome to the loser's bench! :)

I find it impossible to eat 50-60 grams of protein daily during the first week of jello and broth that give only 1 or 2 grams of protein per serving?

PT,

I don't know that anyone could get their protein needs from food in the early days/weeks following WLS.

Most programmes I know of recommend we use protein powders/shakes until such times as we're able to meet our needs from food alone.

Premiere Protein shakes (I like chocolate) have 30G of protein each.  But don't worry, it takes a bit until you can even consume much fluids.  It gets easier!

I didn't even start measuring my intake until about 4 days after surgery.  I was on protein shakes by then, and used them to meet my protein allowance.

Btw, welcome!!  :) 

21 hours ago, Trish1967 said:

Welcome to the forum!! I'm excited to follow your progress as you move through the early stages of being post op and beyond! I hope you're feeling well :) Make sure to get in as much water as you can tolerate, and follow your surgeon's instructions, and you'll get where you want to be!! 

Welcome to TTF!! Congratulations on taking this step to a happier you. Ms. @Trish1967 and I have both managed to put our diabetes in remission after WLS. I no longer use my CPAP machine and I feel better than ever. You will feel this way too. The best feeling of your life will be the day you throw out your last med! Again, congrats. :D

Weekly updateweight.png

On 10/5/2017 at 4:13 PM, GimmeSomePT said:

I find it impossible to eat 50-60 grams of protein daily during the first week of jello and broth that give only 1 or 2 grams of protein per serving?

Yup. You really have to do the protein drinks. A lot of us recommend the Premier Protein because they are 30 grams protein each and close to 0 carbs, I think just 1 gram,, so 2 = 60 a day of protein. Most of the regular protein drinks out there are 15-20 grams of protein and a lot more sugar/carbs as they use sweetness as a way to snag the consumer. 

3 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Yup. You really have to do the protein drinks. A lot of us recommend the Premier Protein because they are 30 grams protein each and close to 0 carbs, I think just 1 gram,, so 2 = 60 a day of protein. Most of the regular protein drinks out there are 15-20 grams of protein and a lot more sugar/carbs as they use sweetness as a way to snag the consumer. 

Agree. I eat pretty normally and find it difficult to get in my 66+ grams a day without supplementation. (I’m six months out.) But do remember, @GimmeSomePT, that you are highly unlikely to hit your nutritional goals during the first few weeks. It’s something to shoot for, but don’t beat yourself up about it. Drinking enough IS very important right from the start. You’ll get there.

Congratulations. Hope you are healing quickly.