TammyP

Colonoscopy...Weeeeee :(

It's time for my first colonoscopy.  Actually last year was time, but I blew this off for a full year.  I just got the requirements from the doctor's office.  My doc requires the day before the procedure to be liquids only (yeah, I've got that down!).  But it is *clear* liquids.  Which means no to my Premiere chocolate shakes which provide my 60G of protein daily!  Sooo I am looking for suggestions of how to get my 60G of protein in... on clear liquids... for one day.  Thanks all <3

When is your colonoscopy?  I'm having my first one next Friday. I was supposed to have it last year because I turned 50 and tomorrow I turn 51, so, yep, I blew it off a year too. I wouldn't even have it now except that they are doing an edoscopy the same day and I need that for my WLS. So I might as well kill two birds with one stone as they say. 

I got the same directions for day before only clear liquids  I got jello, but seriously clear all day?  What do I eat beside that and broth?  So much fun :-/

Edited by CJireh

With epic restraint, I have deleted the graphic paragraph I just wrote about why you shouldn't ever blow off a colonoscopy, because you are both having your colonoscopies, more or less on time - GO YOU!   Part of my job is making sure people get their health care screenings - and the list of reasons not to put off your colonoscopy is a long and depressing read.

I had to have one a few years ago as part of screening for my autoimmune condition, which can sometimes result from a hidden tumor somewhere (but in my case turns out not to be cancer related).  With twilight sedation, you won't remember a thing.  The very worst parts of the whole process are the clear liquids for a day and getting them to give you a johnny that fits.  I had no discomfort before, during, or after.  

Mine is October 18th.  2016 was a bad year for me - Right shoulder surgery in January, left shoulder done in April.  I was pretty much done with any more "procedures" at that point.  I know in the hospital post-sleeve they gave me some individual protein powder packets to add to my broth.  Is anyone familiar with these, or should I just not worry about protein for that one day only?

Personally, I would just not worry about protein for that day.  As long as you're drinking something and you're otherwise healthy, a one-day fast shouldn't do you any harm.

One day off the protien won't hurt you, plus with a colonoscopy there will be some form of bowel prep. That means everything that you put in WILL inevitably rip through your guts at lightening speed....meaning you'll get no nutritional value anyway as there won't be time for it to absorb.

That said the actual procedure is easy, and the drugs they use for the twilight sedation mean you won't remember a thing.

We shall see if I have any issues with oxygen levels/anesthesia this time.  After a 50 pound weight loss, perhaps I have *lost* sleep apnea too. 

I'm with Kio - you won't come to any harm for having one day without protein.

Having said that, you can always check out GNC etc. for bottled Nature's Best Isopure Zero Carb.  It's a clear liquid (I found them a little strong so diluted them with water).

On 10/3/2017 at 5:01 PM, Kio said:

Personally, I would just not worry about protein for that day.  As long as you're drinking something and you're otherwise healthy, a one-day fast shouldn't do you any harm.

I totally agree. 

If you want get protein in, maybe Premier Protein Clear Protein Drink will work. Tropical punch is the only flavor I have found don't know if they make others. It has 90 cal, 0 fat, 0 carbs, 20 protein.

my dr won't let me have any colors (no red, purple, orange or blue) in my colonoscopy prep so it would have to be colorless or it would "dye" the colon and make the test difficult to read....so you probably need to stick with clear and basically colorless.  Which is hard....I have no idea what to have for mine....i did get lemon jello (yuck!) because it wasn't the colors they listed.  

Thanks for the tips everyone <3

On 10/5/2017 at 9:49 AM, AustinJ said:

If you want get protein in, maybe Premier Protein Clear Protein Drink will work. Tropical punch is the only flavor I have found don't know if they make others. It has 90 cal, 0 fat, 0 carbs, 20 protein.

Didn't know they made this! Thanks for the tip. 

FWIW My gastroenterologist, being old and jaded, asked me if I had any requests with my last colonoscopy. I said yes, I'd like to watch on the screen. So I got just a little of the twilight stuff and then got a tour of my colon narrated by my doc. He said it was boringly normal but I found the scenery charming. 

1 minute ago, BurgundyBoy said:

FWIW My gastroenterologist, being old and jaded, asked me if I had any requests with my last colonoscopy. I said yes, I'd like to watch on the screen. So I got just a little of the twilight stuff and then got a tour of my colon narrated by my doc. He said it was boringly normal but I found the scenery charming. 

My mother does the same thing; she loves to watch on the screen and get the scoop from the doc.  Not me, I said I didn't want to know anything...not who was in the room, nothing. I was blissfully unaware anyone or anything was up my butt lol.

Now, when they put in my IVC filter when I had a blood clot, I did watch that on the screen and found it quite fascinating.   That went in through the neck though :)

3 minutes ago, msmarymac said:

My mother does the same thing; she loves to watch on the screen and get the scoop from the doc.  Not me, I said I didn't want to know anything...not who was in the room, nothing. I was blissfully unaware anyone or anything was up my butt lol.

Now, when they put in my IVC filter when I had a blood clot, I did watch that on the screen and found it quite fascinating.   That went in through the neck though :)

Location, location, location...

On 10/3/2017 at 9:13 PM, TammyP said:

We shall see if I have any issues with oxygen levels/anesthesia this time.  After a 50 pound weight loss, perhaps I have *lost* sleep apnea too. 

Maybe I am not remembering correctly, but didn't you get to have a little extra time in the ICU because of your oxygen levels when you had WLS?

56 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Maybe I am not remembering correctly, but didn't you get to have a little extra time in the ICU because of your oxygen levels when you had WLS?

Yes sir, all day in recovery.  All because of low oxy levels and my not having a CPAP.  And I still don't have one.  I will make them aware pre-procedure though for sure!

Hmm...not sure I would want to watch this BB.  I did watch a procedure last year though which was an MRI with a dye injected through my rotator cuff to determine if I had another labral tear.  The first MRI was not with a dye, and whoever read the MRI said oh no - no tear - nothing.  Meanwhile, one month and a ton of pain later, dye procedure and voila! ....Yep definitely a labral tear.  But it was cool to see the doc using sonography to direct where his needle went into my shoulder. :D

I am having my colonoscopy and endoscopy on Friday and I read that not all drs recommend the clear liquids the day before but the low fiber foods (like white bread and noodles etc) because they are easy to get out of the colon w/ the prep and sometimes leave the colon cleaner than the fluids only (which have nothing to "push" them along and clear the sides (one rinses, the other pushes).  However, you have to follow what YOUR dr said.  I don't think I would screw it up w/ the low fiber foods BUT I am not taking the day off, doing the prep and NOT getting it done!!! So, clear liquids it is....going home tonight to cook up my jellos!    So looking forward to it....yuck!  

I do not want a front row seat to my insides though, they can tell me afterwards.  I use to assist with the sigmoidoscopy (it doesn't go as far in as the colonoscopy) when I worked in the doctor's office and I used to hold the scope as it went up (and clean it afterwards) so NO desire to see my own innards!!! haha!

I had my colonoscopy and endoscopy today and it wasn't bad at all, @TammyP!  I will tell you how it went since you're having your first, but it it TMI for most ppl!  

The prep wasn't fun but wasn't as bad as I expected either!  My biggest fear was riding the train in to the hospital w/o a bathroom (25 mins) but I was fine and totally cleared out by then so it wasn't a big deal.  I did the "split" prep where I did one 32 oz gatorade/4 oz miralax the day before and one that day.  The day before was all clear liquids.  At 3:45pm yesterday I took 2 Ducolax, then started the 32 oz gatorade mixed with the 4 oz miralax and drank that followed w/ water, broth and jello.  I wasn't hungry in the least, I was bloated and feeling very full!!  Then I waited and waited...  It wasn't until 8pm that I started to have to use the bathroom (nothing solid at any point).  I had read on the internet to use vaseline so you don't get sore and to use soft tissue (or adult wipes which I didn't have so I used the tissue) both which were a great suggestion.  I did go quite often (guestimate: 8-10 times?) but I always made it in time and wasn't in there long (the "internet" said to just set up a station in the bathroom w/ magazines and a candle and relaxing music so I can just stay in there for hours...what???? no thank you!)  By 10:30 I went to bed and didn't get up all night for going to the bathroom (yeah, got a full night in on my cpap!) and got up at 4 am to repeat the task of drinking the 32 oz gatorade/miralax (finished it just before 5 am).  I was pretty sure I was empty but I wasn't until after about 3 times in and then everything was clear but I still kept going.  By 8:15 when I left, I was fine, got the 8:40 train and was in the city by 9:15 and hadn't used the bathroom in an hour.  I took a water bottle w/ me though I couldn't drink it, my mouth was so dry (partly bc I didn't take my allergy med last night, partly bc I had the dang cpap blowing in my mouth all night and also from the gallons of diarrhea I was having!!!) The IV was very hard to get started since I was so dehydrated but it wasn't too bad.  The dr explained everything, as did the anesthesiologist and we were off.  They put a mask on me (for my OSA) and then a mouthpiece in to hold my mouth opened so I don't bite the scope and then put the med in and sent me to lala-land.  Next thing I knew they were waking me up! She said to expect gas today (I have had a little but nothing horrendous and no odor is involved as there is no waste in there).  If you have any other specific questions, feel free to ask....but really don't worry about it at all, it wasn't bad and I don't have to have another one until I am 61! :)

Thanks for the re-cap @CJireh!  My prep is a bit different.  Clear liquids only the day before.  5:30pm the day before the Suprep dosage followed by 32 ounces of water.  Then at 12:30am the day OF procedure....another Suprep dosage followed by 32 ounces of water.  Guess I won't be sleeping much!  Nothing to eat or drink 2 hours before the procedure.  I have to be there at 6:30am.  At least I can get this over with early in the morning...LOL

@TammyP the "recovery" was nothing. A little bit of gas but that is it. It really was pretty easy...much better than I had anticipated. Bet you'll be saying the same thing next week!  The prep took longer than the procedure, of course, but wasn't really bad. I could send pics of my colon and esophagus but I'll spare you my lovely insides!! Haha!  All kidding aside, it is great that there was no problems inside of me. They took some samples, but I really can't imagine anything coming of them. Good luck with yours. 

OMG it's grumpy day - clear fluids ONLY pre-colonoscopy.  *sadface*  Clear G2, water, chicken soup broth and non-pulp OJ so far.  It was strange on the drive in to work, I seemed to yawn the whole way here.  Usually by the time I leave for work I have had a 30G Premier Protein drink, multivitamin, calcium citrate and biotin.  None of that today.  I was happy I was still able to do my morning 2 mile walk with no issues.  You would think the liquids day would not be a big deal since most of us do many of these days pre-surgery.  But wow - I hate this LOL.  I've become accustomed to having food (not much food but still FOOD)...and this sucks.  This too shall pass.  Maybe I'll lose more weight this week.  That's the only plus I can see at this point :P  I start the suprep at 5:30pm, second dose at 12:30am tomorrow and I check into the surgery center at 6:30am.  Hoping for a nice restful nap :D

47 minutes ago, TammyP said:

OMG it's grumpy day - clear fluids ONLY pre-colonoscopy.  *sadface*  Clear G2, water, chicken soup broth and non-pulp OJ so far.  It was strange on the drive in to work, I seemed to yawn the whole way here.  Usually by the time I leave for work I have had a 30G Premier Protein drink, multivitamin, calcium citrate and biotin.  None of that today.  I was happy I was still able to do my morning 2 mile walk with no issues.  You would think the liquids day would not be a big deal since most of us do many of these days pre-surgery.  But wow - I hate this LOL.  I've become accustomed to having food (not much food but still FOOD)...and this sucks.  This too shall pass.  Maybe I'll lose more weight this week.  That's the only plus I can see at this point :P  I start the suprep at 5:30pm, second dose at 12:30am tomorrow and I check into the surgery center at 6:30am.  Hoping for a nice restful nap :D

I feel for you! Liquids are definitely a recipe for crankiness.

Wait until you start drinking the prep stuff, you will feel so bloated that you will forget you are hungry!  

11 minutes ago, Gretta said:

I feel for you! Liquids are definitely a recipe for crankiness.

I agree, unless the liquids are glasses of nice wine.....:D