NerdyLady

Goodbye 70 lbs!

36 posts in this topic

For my 1,000th post and six month surgical anniversary (I'm cheating by one day), I want to celebrate 70 pounds gone. I'm still amazed by my weight loss. It sometimes doesn't feel real but my friends and family assure me that the loss is real. 

I'm an absent minded type. I definitely live in the now. I sometimes forget to brush my hair or realize that I've left my house wearing flip flops when I meant to wear dress shoes. Despite being part of a daily WLS forum (I always lurk, even when my precious angel is trying to set the house on fire), I often forget how different I look. Now that summer has ended, I have encountered people I haven't seen in months and I have watched their jaws drop. My sitter has been in Europe for five months and literally did not recognize me when she saw me. 

Despite hating pants, I had to give in and try on jeans. Ladies, shopping for jeans is horrible at size 18-20 and at 8-10. Pants are the tool of the devil. But I digress... I tried on a pair of pants and was floored to look at myself in the mirror. I kept getting pants that were too big until I found a pair labeled "Toothpick" at a size 28 (That's either an 8 or a 10). Who is this person? Who? Me? I guess so! 

Several of you commented that I might leave TTF now that I'm at goal. HA! HAHAHAHA! I need TTF now *more than ever*. I honestly believe that losing is the easy part. I'm mildly terrified (OK, I'm in panic mode) about the rest of my life. I know how easy it is to fall into old habits and gain weight. WLS is not a magic tool that does the work for me. My absent minded hand loves to shove things in my mouth to comfort myself, even when I am not hungry. I'm not proud to admit that I recently had a major fail. My husband and I got into a stupid argument and I was sad. So sad that I absentmindedly ate one of his chocolate bars out of anger. Have I mentioned that I don't even like chocolate?  When I weighed myself the following day, the scale went up 1.8 lbs. I can totally see that weight gain snowball into 20 lbs because of my poor choices. I'm not beating myself up but I'm using this moment as a lesson learned. Again, I need this forum more than ever. I am not someone who can do this on my own. The day I leave TTF, is the day I set myself on a path to weight gain. 

Thanks for listening to my diarrhea of the mouth. Thank you for always supporting me and giving an encouraging word. My weight loss is not the end of this journey. It is the beginning of a healthier me. 

xo

PS: I know that I will look back and cringe at my stream of consciousness writing but if I don't hit "submit" my perfectionist @ss will never post my thoughts. :)

IMG_5605.jpg

IMG_5606.jpg

congrats to you...happy 1000th and may you post another 500  or more by the end of the year!

BTW, you look fabulous in those jeans,Toothpick!!! Sure you don't want to change your name from Nerdy Lady to Toothpick!?!?!?  :)

I can see how it could easily snowball out of control and how being accountable here can really help your focus and that is also what I am planning on doing...sticking around for the long haul so I can have support and be supportive for my endless journey.

5 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

.....I often forget how different I look. Now that summer has ended, I have encountered people I haven't seen in months and I have watched their jaws drop. My sitter has been in Europe for five months and literally did not recognize me when she saw me.   ...Several of you commented that I might leave TTF now that I'm at goal. HA! HAHAHAHA! I need TTF now *more than ever*. I honestly believe that losing is the easy part. I'm mildly terrified (OK, I'm in panic mode) about the rest of my life....

Needn't panic.  Build good habits atop the old bad habits! You're living each day now with all that weight off - and doing the good stuff like weighing yourself periodically, being on the Forum, providing good parenting to your daughter and being a good example for her; and nearly almost always are Perfect when it comes to your intake. Plus you went to a gym. 

Now just look at your post - the big fail was a chocolate bar? In the past it would have been 3! Followed by the salty crunchy whatevers! (Yes, we've read between the lines of your old posts, and know just how contorted and gnarly and wide-ranging your old mindless eating was...)

So more seriously the more habits you have that reinforce the Path then you'll have a web of things to catch you when you are weak or the emotions are strong. And when you are Imperfect, hard as that is to believe possible, your Imperfection is unlikely to be as big as it was in the past. The great thing about habits is that they are almost automatic and don't require thought or reflection, you sort of just do them...

Trish1967 and NerdyLady like this

Congrats! FYI...size 28 is actually equivalent to a 6.

NerdyLady, Jen581791 and Trish1967 like this

You look fantastic!  And I know just what you mean - I'm convinced if I succeed in this it will be by staying active and present in this community.  I know some people fade out because they're doing so well that they really don't need it anymore, but I don't think I'm one of those.  If I ever fade out, it will probably be because I've taken up residence in a giant bag of cool ranch Doritos, doing lots of Coke with my friends Mike and Ike!

You're inspirational NerdyLady!

NerdyLady and Trish1967 like this

You look completely adorable!  Love your Toothpick jeans!

Love the jeans AND your shirt!  I never realized I was a stress eater til I got upset with my old boss and polished off a bag of calcium chews.  Went to pill form after that, lol!  Now I reach for apples!  Me love apples!  

You look great!  Keep on the straight and narrow path!  I love jeans!  (I was married in blue jeans). I can't get enough different ones!  I hate spandex!!  Before I'd just go in the store and buy 5 of the same size and style!!

You look great - a real toothpick. :D

You have transformed before our eyes into a real skinny minnie.  Your success is inspirational to us all and reminds us that weight loss surgery really works if you stick to the diet.

45 minutes ago, Cheesehead said:

Love the jeans AND your shirt!  I never realized I was a stress eater til I got upset with my old boss and polished off a bag of calcium chews.  Went to pill form after that, lol!  Now I reach for apples!  Me love apples!  

You look great!  Keep on the straight and narrow path!  I love jeans!  (I was married in blue jeans). I can't get enough different ones!  I hate spandex!!  Before I'd just go in the store and buy 5 of the same size and style!!

@Cheesehead Now I can't get Forever in Blue Jeans out of my head! https://g.co/kgs/CozhZQ

Clickin, Trish1967 and Cheesehead like this

Well done, Toothpick! Am I sensing a new username ;)? 70 pounds is outstanding! You look great. Kudos for all your hard work and the many many right choices you had to make in the past six months. Inspirational for sure!

NerdyLady, Trish1967 and Trish13 like this

Wow !!  You look amazing Congrats !

Amaaaaaaaaaaziiiiiiing! (In my best Oprah voice) 

You look fabulous and I love your jeans. Jean shopping is evil at any size, but much LESS evil at a size 6, I imagine.

I completely agree with your commitment to staying active on the forum. The more I'm here, the more my mind explores my healthy and less healthy behaviors and thought patterns. I don't want to end up, as @Kio said, hiding in a bag of chips (mine would be tortilla chips with salsa, washed down with a couple of margs). 

Give yourself a Liz Lemon high five for me. And congratulations on your 1000 posts. There's an awful lot of thoughtful and caring support in those many thousands of words. Thanks for being a part of this group. I love to watch you succeed.

Res Ipsa, Gretta, Trish1967 and 1 other like this

You have done an amazing job NerdyLady and truly - you are looking fantastic in those jeans.

Res Ipsa, NerdyLady and Trish1967 like this

On 10/3/2017 at 9:13 AM, NerdyLady said:

IMG_5606.jpg

Wow! You are rocking this! Good for you!

Congrats, my friend!! You look incredible, and incredibly happy!! 70 pounds gone...just amazing ❤️ 

I feel the same way you do about needing the forum once reaching goal :) I'm very happy to hear that you're not leaving us!!!

NerdyLady, BurgundyBoy and Res Ipsa like this

On 10/3/2017 at 3:50 PM, GAviv said:

Congrats! FYI...size 28 is actually equivalent to a 6.

That was 100% a vanity size. I tried on other 28's and they didn't make it over my gut. It's ok. I'm starting to finally feel comfortable. 

Trish1967, BurgundyBoy and GAviv like this

On 10/3/2017 at 9:13 AM, NerdyLady said:

For my 1,000th post and six month surgical anniversary (I'm cheating by one day), I want to celebrate 70 pounds gone. I'm still amazed by my weight loss. It sometimes doesn't feel real but my friends and family assure me that the loss is real. 

I'm an absent minded type. I definitely live in the now. I sometimes forget to brush my hair or realize that I've left my house wearing flip flops when I meant to wear dress shoes. Despite being part of a daily WLS forum (I always lurk, even when my precious angel is trying to set the house on fire), I often forget how different I look. Now that summer has ended, I have encountered people I haven't seen in months and I have watched their jaws drop. My sitter has been in Europe for five months and literally did not recognize me when she saw me. 

Despite hating pants, I had to give in and try on jeans. Ladies, shopping for jeans is horrible at size 18-20 and at 8-10. Pants are the tool of the devil. But I digress... I tried on a pair of pants and was floored to look at myself in the mirror. I kept getting pants that were too big until I found a pair labeled "Toothpick" at a size 28 (That's either an 8 or a 10). Who is this person? Who? Me? I guess so! 

Several of you commented that I might leave TTF now that I'm at goal. HA! HAHAHAHA! I need TTF now *more than ever*. I honestly believe that losing is the easy part. I'm mildly terrified (OK, I'm in panic mode) about the rest of my life. I know how easy it is to fall into old habits and gain weight. WLS is not a magic tool that does the work for me. My absent minded hand loves to shove things in my mouth to comfort myself, even when I am not hungry. I'm not proud to admit that I recently had a major fail. My husband and I got into a stupid argument and I was sad. So sad that I absentmindedly ate one of his chocolate bars out of anger. Have I mentioned that I don't even like chocolate?  When I weighed myself the following day, the scale went up 1.8 lbs. I can totally see that weight gain snowball into 20 lbs because of my poor choices. I'm not beating myself up but I'm using this moment as a lesson learned. Again, I need this forum more than ever. I am not someone who can do this on my own. The day I leave TTF, is the day I set myself on a path to weight gain. 

Thanks for listening to my diarrhea of the mouth. Thank you for always supporting me and giving an encouraging word. My weight loss is not the end of this journey. It is the beginning of a healthier me. 

xo

PS: I know that I will look back and cringe at my stream of consciousness writing but if I don't hit "submit" my perfectionist @ss will never post my thoughts. :)

IMG_5605.jpg

IMG_5606.jpg

You look fabulous!!!

2 hours ago, Dtrain84 said:

You look fabulous!!!

@Dtrain84...I checked your stats... Looks like your stall finally broke?!?

2 hours ago, Trish1967 said:

@Dtrain84...I checked your stats... Looks like your stall finally broke?!?

Yes it did! I'm 2lbs. away from the 100lb milestone! 

On 10/3/2017 at 3:30 PM, BurgundyBoy said:

Needn't panic.  Build good habits atop the old bad habits! You're living each day now with all that weight off - and doing the good stuff like weighing yourself periodically, being on the Forum, providing good parenting to your daughter and being a good example for her; and nearly almost always are Perfect when it comes to your intake. Plus you went to a gym. 

Now just look at your post - the big fail was a chocolate bar? In the past it would have been 3! Followed by the salty crunchy whatevers! (Yes, we've read between the lines of your old posts, and know just how contorted and gnarly and wide-ranging your old mindless eating was...)

So more seriously the more habits you have that reinforce the Path then you'll have a web of things to catch you when you are weak or the emotions are strong. And when you are Imperfect, hard as that is to believe possible, your Imperfection is unlikely to be as big as it was in the past. The great thing about habits is that they are almost automatic and don't require thought or reflection, you sort of just do them...

Thank you for your kind words. I think part of me will always have her guard up when it comes to my food intake. I need to focus on the positive examples you gave and not let fear overwhelm me. 

BurgundyBoy likes this

6 hours ago, Dtrain84 said:

Yes it did! I'm 2lbs. away from the 100lb milestone! 

I cannot wait for that day to arrive!

On 10/4/2017 at 0:37 PM, Trish1967 said:

Congrats, my friend!! You look incredible, and incredibly happy!! 70 pounds gone...just amazing ❤️ 

I feel the same way you do about needing the forum once reaching goal :) I'm very happy to hear that you're not leaving us!!!

Oh God, no. I can't leave this forum. I know recently there have been days that I have had radio silence. My trip to LA kept me busy, as well as the Terrible Twos. That said, I read the site everyday and depend on my TTF to keep me sane. 

Trish1967 likes this

On 10/4/2017 at 10:07 AM, tmcgee said:

Wow! You are rocking this! Good for you!

Thanks @tmcgee! I'm glad my diabetes is gone! 

tmcgee and Trish1967 like this

On 10/3/2017 at 7:39 PM, Res Ipsa said:

You look great - a real toothpick. :D

You have transformed before our eyes into a real skinny minnie.  Your success is inspirational to us all and reminds us that weight loss surgery really works if you stick to the diet.

I had coffee with a long time friend and her jaw dropped. She called me a Skinny Minnie and I thought of you! :D

tmcgee, Res Ipsa and Trish1967 like this