Readytobeme

Drains?

28 posts in this topic

How common is it to have a drain after surgery? Do you go home with the drain still in place? I am confused about this as I have seen a few people mentioning having a drain.  I don't see it mentioned all that much though. I cared for my sister after a surgery that she had 2 drains that I had to empty, clean, etc. Just curious.

Thanks in advance for reading and / or replying.

I know WLS’ers that have had drains, but not many.  I didn’t have any drains from WLS but do have one (out of four) remaining from my skin removal surgery last week.  They are definitely a pain.  Can’t wait to get this thing out.

Jen581791 and Readytobeme like this

3 minutes ago, PapaG said:

I know WLS’ers that have had drains, but not many.  I didn’t have any drains from WLS but do have one (out of four) remaining from my skin removal surgery last week.  They are definitely a pain.  Can’t wait to get this thing out.

I bet! They are a pain. Just to keep pinned to your clothing is hard IMO. Much less emptying and keeping them cleaned out. My sisters surgery was a breast reduction so kind of similar.

I am hoping that I don't have to go home with any if I have them.

NerdyLady, Jen581791 and PapaG like this

5 minutes ago, Readytobeme said:

I bet! They are a pain. Just to keep pinned to your clothing is hard IMO. Much less emptying and keeping them cleaned out. My sisters surgery was a breast reduction so kind of similar.

I am hoping that I don't have to go home with any if I have them.

::fingers crossed::

Readytobeme likes this

I had no drains :)

Readytobeme likes this

I had no drain after mine...

Readytobeme likes this

Good to know. It must just happen on a case by case basis. I never told my sister but, they were pretty darn gross to deal with.

No drains for mine. Just had a catheter for 24 hours.

No drain, no catheter.

No drains and the catheter was taken out the day after the surgery.

No drains or catheter.  

I came home with a drain but it was an annoyance more than anything. 

I had to empty it and make a note of the contents (amount and colour) but other than making sure I didn't catch the tube on anything because it was painful if it was tugged, that was about it.

NerdyLady likes this

4 hours ago, Carina said:

No drain, no catheter.

Ditto. I think it's one of those things that varies from surgeon to surgeon on a case by case basis. Asking your surgeon may give you a better idea of what he/she typically does.

12 hours ago, Readytobeme said:

How common is it to have a drain after surgery? Do you go home with the drain still in place? I am confused about this as I have seen a few people mentioning having a drain.  I don't see it mentioned all that much though. I cared for my sister after a surgery that she had 2 drains that I had to empty, clean, etc. Just curious.

Drains are common for other kinds of belly surgery, uncommon for WLS. If you need one, though, you need it.

Tiny incisions used for WLS, and the amount of swelling / inflammation after surgery on stomach is usually small too. 

I had a drain for a week, so I went home with it. It was not painful, and not THAT gross to deal with, but a bit of a pain being pinned to my clothes and trying to deal with it. Mostly it just made me feel like a Patient and not a Person. Lots of pinkish goo came out of it that I had to empty, but I'm pretty OK with gross stuff, so I wasn't really bothered. Getting it removed after having it in for a week sure felt weird. Not painful, just strange. 

NerdyLady likes this

Thanks, everyone. I wouldn't say that it would bother me. Just curious how common it is. I will ask my surgeon when I finally get to meet with her. They seem to be very thorough in providing info and so far, nothing on drains.

My sisters caused her zero pain. They were just a PITA to deal with. I am good at handling stuff like that and that is why she chose me to stay with post op. It never used to be the case until my husband spent many months in ICU. That got me over being grossed out at much of the medical stuff.

I also had to measure and record all of the blood and goo that I dumped from each drain. Honestly with the amount of staples that she had, it was amazing that she never had any pain to me.

NerdyLady, Stephtay and Jen581791 like this

I didn't have drains with my WLS but I had them with my plastics.If you have them, as other said, keep them pinned to your clothes. And, when you shower, wear a lanyard to hold them up since you won't be wearing clothes. :)

NerdyLady likes this

On 9/30/2017 at 11:18 PM, Readytobeme said:

I was in the hospital for four days and I had a drain. The nurses drained it for me and one of the baby doctors (my husband said he looked like he had just come back from prom) took it out a few hours before I left. I was told to wash the wound with soap and water. It healed fairly quickly. 

I also had a catheter and that came out day three of my stay. I was fatigued after surgery, so frankly, it was nice not to get out of bed when I had to pee. Yes, I am that lazy.

Hope that answered your question. :) 

Readytobeme likes this

On 9/30/2017 at 11:39 PM, PapaG said:

@PapaG How are you feeling? Hope the drain is out!

On 10/1/2017 at 0:02 AM, Readytobeme said:

Good to know. It must just happen on a case by case basis. I never told my sister but, they were pretty darn gross to deal with.

Yeeeep @Readytobeme. That drain was super gross. 

Readytobeme likes this

16 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

@PapaG How are you feeling? Hope the drain is out!

I'm doing good, thanks.  Drain is still in, my wife has nicknamed it "Juicy".  But it should be out Monday...fingers crossed.

Readytobeme and NerdyLady like this

16 hours ago, PapaG said:

I'm doing good, thanks.  Drain is still in, my wife has nicknamed it "Juicy".  But it should be out Monday...fingers crossed.

Wait, what?

NerdyLady likes this

13 hours ago, Carina said:

Wait, what?

No worries Carina, had all my excess skin removed, its the norm to come home with Drains.

NerdyLady likes this

7 hours ago, PapaG said:

No worries Carina, had all my excess skin removed, its the norm to come home with Drains.

Somehow I missed that! Hope you are doing well.

PapaG likes this