Boymom1202

Can’t wait to be a loser!!!

19 posts in this topic

I have my first appointment on October 11th. I am soo excited, I am looking to get the sleeve and I am thinking surgery in January. I am self pay so hoping to save a bunch up so I don’t have to finance as much! I do know that I will have to a 4 week liquid diet. Not looking forward to that but it will get me to my goal and that’s all that matters right? Congrats to all of the losers out there and good luck to the ones that are working on it!!!!

Welcome! Every team is different, but mine required clearance from a cardiologist, a sleep study dr, a psychiatrist and lab work.  It took a while to get all of those appts done.  I had mild sleep apnea so I had to get a cpap machine,, then I can't be cleared until that is checked.  My first appt with the WLSurgeon was 6/16/17 and I still can't get a surgery date until my sleep dr rechecks and clears me.  Then I have a two month wait since my dr's office schedules 2 months out for surgeries.....so although I assumed I could do it in Nov when I am off of work, I won't be able to do it until at least Dec....so I guess 6 months is accurate when they told me that.  

Look around here while you are waiting, you will find tons of information (and support!) and good luck!

Welcome to Thinner Times Boymom1202!

Trish1967 likes this

Welcome! Self pay will definitely fast track you and allow you to skip some hoops. New year, new you!

Trish1967 likes this

I know! I think that’s one good thing about self pay is that I only have to follow what doctors want and not insurance! 

Trish1967, TammyP and Gretta like this

2 hours ago, Boymom1202 said:

I know! I think that’s one good thing about self pay is that I only have to follow what doctors want and not insurance! 

Oh, that's awesome!

Trish1967 likes this

Welcome, boymom. I wish you luck and look forward to following your progress. Don't worry about the 4 weeks that you will have to wait. There is an awful lot of stuff to learn preop. This will give you some time to at least learn part of it and be better prepared postop.

Good luck.

Trish1967 likes this

Welcome, @Boymom1202!! We are glad you're here, and we will be saving you a seat on the losers bench!! :) 

Welcome, can’t wait to have you on the losers bench.

Welcome and best of luck. Doing self pay will probably make the process a lot smoother. 

Welcome!  In preparation for your meeting you might want to read this weight loss surgery guide from one of the best hospitals in Boston. Note that while this guide says it is for gastric bypass, most US weight loss surgeons have the exact same diet requirements for both bypass and sleeve patients. 

https://www.tuftsmedicalcenter.org/~/media/Brochures/TuftsMC/Patient Care Services/Departments and Services/Weight and Wellness Center/GBP Diet Manual12611.ashx

On 9/29/2017 at 11:53 AM, Boymom1202 said:

I have my first appointment on October 11th. I am soo excited, I am looking to get the sleeve and I am thinking surgery in January. I am self pay so hoping to save a bunch up so I don’t have to finance as much! I do know that I will have to a 4 week liquid diet. Not looking forward to that but it will get me to my goal and that’s all that matters right? Congrats to all of the losers out there and good luck to the ones that are working on it!!!!

Do be sure to have your social support in place, and to have your psych/psychological issues being addressed... once in a while people who are self-pay get fast-tracked without all their stuff in order, and later on, suffer because of that. Just saying...

(Your 4-week liquid diet will ensure you are familiar with the dietary needs, so not mentioning that!)

Thank you! My mom have the bypass a year and a half ago and is getting ready to have the skin surgery. So I have very good support with her. I also have a few friends that are doing this with me so good support there also. I did try to do this 5 years ago and I found out I was pregnant so I wasn’t able to go through with it. But I am so ready mentally and physically! And I know that I will be able to rock that 4 week diet!

Having such a great attitude and support system will help you to succeed for sure.

I have a sister that needs to do this and I wish that she would do it with me. Pretty sure she is going to wait and watch me go through it first though. I have another friend that needs to do this but, same thing with her. That would be a tremendous help.

I am going to have to rely on this forum for support for now.

NerdyLady and BurgundyBoy like this

Yes I would totally tell them to come here. I made my appointment and have obviously been super annoying to my friends talking about it. I keep telling the one come on just do it and she is looking into her insurance so she can make her appointment! Super excited can’t wait!

On 9/30/2017 at 8:02 PM, Readytobeme said:

Having such a great attitude and support system will help you to succeed for sure.

I have a sister that needs to do this and I wish that she would do it with me. Pretty sure she is going to wait and watch me go through it first though. I have another friend that needs to do this but, same thing with her. That would be a tremendous help.

I am going to have to rely on this forum for support for now.

We're here for you.

As much as I love the Forum, there is nothing like having an in-person sibling or close friend to lean on. Perhaps they will still be helpful to you and learn enough from your journey that they can better make a decision that is right for them. 

If you are otherwise doing this solo, you might consider doing a daily or every couple of days posting similar to what @Kio has done. It will help to keep your head in the game, and if you do run into real problems you won't be hesitant to post about whatever is going on. 

Most of what we run into - others have run in to as well. It's one of the good things about this surgery being as well established as it is. 

Readytobeme and NerdyLady like this

Welcome and so excited for you!!! <3

7 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

We're here for you.

As much as I love the Forum, there is nothing like having an in-person sibling or close friend to lean on. Perhaps they will still be helpful to you and learn enough from your journey that they can better make a decision that is right for them. 

If you are otherwise doing this solo, you might consider doing a daily or every couple of days posting similar to what @Kio has done. It will help to keep your head in the game, and if you do run into real problems you won't be hesitant to post about whatever is going on. 

Most of what we run into - others have run in to as well. It's one of the good things about this surgery being as well established as it is. 

I have read those blogs. You guys all seem like professional writers though. I am not sure that I could do one. May give it a shot.

Jen581791 likes this

14 hours ago, Readytobeme said:

I have read those blogs. You guys all seem like professional writers though. I am not sure that I could do one. May give it a shot.

Ah, it's for you, helps to engender the support / tough love / empathy the site should provide. It's not for publication anywhere...