AustinJ

New to Thinner Times

Hi my name is Austin and I have been reading here for several months now. I was approved by my insurance yesterday for the VSG. I'm 32 years old, 6ft 3in tall and started this go around with weight loss at my highest weight ever 504lbs.I have been battling my weight my whole life (even when I was a college athlete). I weighed 180lbs when I was 11years old, 265lbs as a freshman in high school, and 310lbs as a freshman in college.

I will have my 5th weigh in tomorrow. As of Monday the Sept. 18th I was at 445lbs. This time around I have learned a ton about nutrition and healthy eating that I had never learned before. I am looking forward to being on the permanent losers bench.

Welcome, @AustinJ! Congratulations on your approval! Way to go losing nearly 60 pounds! Nice work! Looking forward to getting to know you.

Welcome, @AustinJ! You're getting close to finishing your pre-op stuff, and with the surgery approval, it's probably starting to feel pretty real now. I wish you the best of luck, and I look forward to welcoming you to the bench. 

5 hours ago, AustinJ said:

Hi my name is Austin and I have been reading here for several months now. I was approved by my insurance yesterday for the VSG. I'm 32 years old, 6ft 3in tall and started this go around with weight loss at my highest weight ever 504lbs.I have been battling my weight my whole life (even when I was a college athlete). I weighed 180lbs when I was 11years old, 265lbs as a freshman in high school, and 310lbs as a freshman in college.

I will have my 5th weigh in tomorrow. As of Monday the Sept. 18th I was at 445lbs. This time around I have learned a ton about nutrition and healthy eating that I had never learned before. I am looking forward to being on the permanent losers bench.

Good job! Yes, it's a big change ahead of you - and you will have so many years of healthy, fit life ahead of you! Hope you find this Forum useful to you. 

Welcome to Thinner Times Austin!

Thanks for all the welcomes and support. I had my fifth weigh-in today and was 437.5lbs I was hoping for 435lbs so close! I have an appointment with my Surgeon on Oct. 3rd to discus and schedule surgery. I am very excited and nervous at the same time. 

Welcome, Austin. I am so glad that you have found this option at a young age. I feel that it will increase your quality of life dramatically. Good luck and I look forward to following your progress.

Welcome to TTF!  We are here to support and inform you on your weight loss surgery journey. 

Welcome, Austin!! Great job on your weight loss so far! :) You've come to the right place for support and information! I look forward to following your journey 

On 9/29/2017 at 1:44 PM, AustinJ said:

Thanks for all the welcomes and support. I had my fifth weigh-in today and was 437.5lbs I was hoping for 435lbs so close! I have an appointment with my Surgeon on Oct. 3rd to discus and schedule surgery. I am very excited and nervous at the same time. 

Both the excitement and the nervousness are universal. Be sure to ask every kind of question on the 3rd. Weight loss before the time of surgery predicts good weight loss after surgery, so in addition to the usual congrats on the weight loss, you should know this is a very positive sign!

Welcome @AustinJ! Congratulations on losing so much weight pre op. That's impressive! I am happy that you have found your way to a healthy new lifestyle and look forward to cheering you on. :D

Welcome!  You are doing great!  Looking forward to seeing you on the losers bench!

So I met with the surgeon yesterday and have a date set! November 8th!! I also spoke to my insurance to see how much I would have to pay, and it is covered 100%. I won't have to pay for any of it! Thanks to my expensive Gout Meds, my maximum out of pocket is met, and the surgeon and hospital are all in network. Holy cow, things never work out smoothly for me. I always have to fight tooth and nail to get major items taken care of, but this time everything is falling into place.

Oh yeah, and to boot when I weighed in at the surgeons office I was 434 lbs! That is 1lb below the goal I had set for Sept. 29th  that I just missed on the 29th. It also means I have officially lost 70 lbs I will never see again pre-surgery.

4 minutes ago, AustinJ said:

So I met with the surgeon yesterday and have a date set! November 8th!! I also spoke to my insurance to see how much I would have to pay, and it is covered 100%. I won't have to pay for any of it! Thanks to my expensive Gout Meds, my maximum out of pocket is met, and the surgeon and hospital are all in network. Holy cow, things never work out smoothly for me. I always have to fight tooth and nail to get major items taken care of, but this time everything is falling into place.

Oh yeah, and to boot when I weighed in at the surgeons office I was 434 lbs! That is 1lb below the goal I had set for Sept. 29th  that I just missed on the 29th. It also means I have officially lost 70 lbs I will never see again pre-surgery.

You've done a superlative job pre- surgery. Hope you are feeling great, you should be really pleased with yourself. Spend this next month getting everything in place so your gains from surgery are solid and enduring. If I were you I'd be dancing with joy!

Believe me, I am dancing with joy, That counts as exercise right? lol

I'm incredibly happy for you. While having to take meds for gout must be awful, it's nice to know that the silver lining is no copay. :)

Congrats on losing so much weight! You should be very proud of yourself. 

I give a lot of the credit for my weight loss so far to walking. Which I couldn't do for any distance with out the gout meds. I started walking everyday back in March and I could go 20 min.s at 2.6 mph. I now walk for 70 min.s at 3.3 mph. That is 3.85 miles I walk Monday thru Saturday. On Sunday I only walk 30 min.s but at 3.5mph so 1.75 miles. Right now I almost walk a marathon every week. I can't wait to see what I can do when I've lost even more weight.

55 minutes ago, AustinJ said:

Excellent!  I was in the same position - had surgery on September 8, and thanks to my autoimmune condition, I had already met my deductible.  Insurance covered my RNY 100%!

Every pound you've lost will make surgery easier, so great work on your loss so far - 70 lbs is fantastic!!!

9 hours ago, AustinJ said:

That is an outstanding pre-op loss Austin!

10 hours ago, AustinJ said:

I give a lot of the credit for my weight loss so far to walking. Which I couldn't do for any distance with out the gout meds. I started walking everyday back in March and I could go 20 min.s at 2.6 mph. I now walk for 70 min.s at 3.3 mph. That is 3.85 miles I walk Monday thru Saturday. On Sunday I only walk 30 min.s but at 3.5mph so 1.75 miles. Right now I almost walk a marathon every week. I can't wait to see what I can do when I've lost even more weight.

Walking is the best exercise I have done since WLS. Frankly, it's the easiest thing to fit into my schedule. I think it's great exercise and you should pat yourself on the back. That marathon level week might one day turn into a marathon race. :)

12 minutes ago, NerdyLady said:

Walking is the best exercise I have done since WLS. Frankly, it's the easiest thing to fit into my schedule. I think it's great exercise and you should pat yourself on the back. That marathon level week might one day turn into a marathon race. :)

Great thing about walking is that no matter where you are, you can do it without any special equipment or a special venue or site. 

FYI I found an article that followed a group of people with gout through their surgery. While many people had a flair right after surgery, their attacks tapered off over the first year and 12 months after surgery, their uric acid levels were a lot lower than before surgery. [ https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24935177 ] So sounds like you might expect a flare of activity right after surgery but in the long run the WLS will reduce your gout attacks. Another long-term study from Scandanavia found that WLS reduced high uric acids by more than half, and reduced gouty attacks too, in the general population. [https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28076240 ]  So this should be good for your gout!

Apart from some daily yoga/pilates, walking is my main form of exercise and has been since my RNY.  The weather and terrain makes it difficult to rely on walking outside - there are no footpaths where I live so a treadmill was my best option.  I do 3 miles every day.

awesome @AustinJ!!!  That was the date I wanted all along but I didn't get my prereqs done in time.  (all NJ schools are closed the 8th and 9th for teachers convention and that was my goal to have it then and be back at school after TG break).  Anyway, so happy for you and that things are working out.  I also am covered 100% as my dr/hosp is the one my dh works (well technically worked) for so everything cost less if you use their drs/hosp and since it is a really good hospital it's a no brainer)

Your presurg weight loss is phenomenal and you are well on your way to a healthier version of you and you are doing this while you are still pretty young and have a lot of active living to enjoy!!!!  Good for you!

(when do you start your preop stuff?  do you do  a 2 wks liquids only before hand?"

Edited by CJireh

@BurgundyBoyBurgundyBoy those are both great studies on the effects of WLS on Gout. I plan on having a gout flare after surgery because I had a pretty bad one after gallbladder surgery last year. That is a small price to pay to reduce future gout flare and to extend my life.

9 hours ago, CJireh said:

(when do you start your preop stuff?  do you do  a 2 wks liquids only before hand?"

I have a 10 day pre-op liquid only diet that I start on Oct 28th. I will also have the post-op liquid diet for at least a week.