Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Readytobeme

True Nutrition?

24 posts in this topic

Hadn't heard of them, but sample packs are the best! It's the only way I managed to find a protein powder I can tolerate...here's hoping I still tolerate it after surgery :D 

That's what I am thinking too. My Dr has a store attached to his office that they sell the protein nutrition stuff in. I went in yesterday to take a look around. They are WAY too expensive for me. Of course they force me to use their optifast for the month before surgery. Nothing I can do about that.

I only had to do protein shakes for 2 weeks post op, so I just stuck to the premier chocolate flavor. I don't do protein shakes anymore because I'm finally eating enough in my diet. I would think that the sample packs would be best, especially if you're going to be using protein shakes/powders for a while :) 

Readytobeme and Res Ipsa like this

Sample packs are definitely the way to go until you figure out what you like, keeping in mind that your tastes may change post-op. Syntrax Nectar has sample packs you can order from Amazon, and GNC usually has some sample packs kicking around their stores (they've also told me they'd make me one of whatever I want to try, but I haven't taken them up on that yet). 

As for protein powder prices, it might make it easier to swallow (pun!!) if you price it out per scoop. If you figure one scoop = one meal, it's pretty inexpensive. At this point, my food bills are awfully low since I'm just eating little bits of food :) One great side effect of WLS. 

Stephtay, Readytobeme and Res Ipsa like this

10 hours ago, Readytobeme said:

Has anyone tried these? They have samples for $1.49 each and their prices are great. Thinking about trying a few.

https://truenutrition.com/p-7425-tn-proteinflavor-sample-packs.aspx?

Agree these packs are useful... but be careful when you sign up, a number of Adults on the site have warned that sometimes buried in the fine print is a recurring purchase from a number of vendors. (I have no experience with truenutrition.com, this is a generic cautionary statement). 

Readytobeme and Res Ipsa like this

8 hours ago, Readytobeme said:

That's what I am thinking too. My Dr has a store attached to his office that they sell the protein nutrition stuff in. I went in yesterday to take a look around. They are WAY too expensive for me. Of course they force me to use their optifast for the month before surgery. Nothing I can do about that.

My surgeon's clinic also insisted on a month of optifast pre- surgery. That stuff is very expensive in Australia and we have a locally made alternative with the same nutritional panel that retails about a third of the price. I asked the dietician about using that instead and was told I couldn't. I did swap them out anyway....no-one was any the wiser come surgery day!!!!

TammyP likes this

10 hours ago, Trish1967 said:

I only had to do protein shakes for 2 weeks post op, so I just stuck to the premier chocolate flavor. I don't do protein shakes anymore because I'm finally eating enough in my diet. I would think that the sample packs would be best, especially if you're going to be using protein shakes/powders for a while :) 

I actually have some premier flavors right now. I had the chocolate for a snack last night. It was ok and i could stick with it if need be. It was nowhere near as good as the chocolate medifast I did back in the 90s though. I am pretty easy to please when it comes to food flavors.

Trish1967 likes this

10 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Sample packs are definitely the way to go until you figure out what you like, keeping in mind that your tastes may change post-op. Syntrax Nectar has sample packs you can order from Amazon, and GNC usually has some sample packs kicking around their stores (they've also told me they'd make me one of whatever I want to try, but I haven't taken them up on that yet). 

As for protein powder prices, it might make it easier to swallow (pun!!) if you price it out per scoop. If you figure one scoop = one meal, it's pretty inexpensive. At this point, my food bills are awfully low since I'm just eating little bits of food :) One great side effect of WLS. 

I was looking at the Syntrax sampler at Amazon last night. It was about double the price that I have seen it elsewhere (link on this forum somewhere).

Yes. Eating the protein stuff will one day be inexpensive for me. Post op will not be bad. Pre op 30 days of Optifast is going to run me $600 plus there will still be grocery expenses. I spend a little less than that for 2 people now.

I am the type that will hunt/find the best prices on things. Just can't stand paying too much or more than I have to for anything.

Edited by Readytobeme
Jen581791 likes this

9 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Agree these packs are useful... but be careful when you sign up, a number of Adults on the site have warned that sometimes buried in the fine print is a recurring purchase from a number of vendors. (I have no experience with truenutrition.com, this is a generic cautionary statement). 

Ooh, thanks for that info. I had not looked closely at the site yet. May just skip that one. I really liked the fact that they are 3rd party tested too. Darn it.

33 minutes ago, Readytobeme said:

I was looking at the Syntrax sampler at Amazon last night. It was about double the price that I have seen it elsewhere (link on this forum somewhere).

Yes. Eating the protein stuff will one day be inexpensive for me. Post op will not be bad. Pre op 30 days of Optifast is going to run me $600 plus there will still be grocery expenses. I spend a little less than that for 2 people now.

I am the type that will hunt/find the best prices on things. Just can't stand paying too much or more than I have to for anything.

Unleash your research powers on the internet! Finding the best deal is a hunting process I like to go through, too. 

Optifast is pricey, to be sure, but it's supposed to be pretty effective in dropping pounds quickly. All to get you in tip top shape for surgery day :) 

Once you find a flavor you like, the powders work out to about a dollar per serving, whichever brand you choose, so definitely cheaper than the sample packs. 

Good luck finding some bargains.

Trish1967 likes this

3 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Optifast is pricey, to be sure, but it's supposed to be pretty effective in dropping pounds quickly. All to get you in tip top shape for surgery day :) 

That is good to know! It may be worth paying the extra to use it for post op as well then. It may be what I used my first time doing the modified fast. Nope. I think the name of what I used was Kcal. Maybe lol

Anyway, I do have a support group at the end of next month. It is all about optifast and gives us a chance to try the different flavors. I have to do full liquids for 3 weeks after surgery. Then it is on to soft foods. They recently did away with the pureed stage from what the dietician told me yesterday.

Trish1967 and Jen581791 like this

10 hours ago, Readytobeme said:

Ooh, thanks for that info. I had not looked closely at the site yet. May just skip that one. I really liked the fact that they are 3rd party tested too. Darn it.

They might be ok! Just saying that whatever source you use, be aware of what you are signing up for. :D

Readytobeme likes this

19 hours ago, Readytobeme said:

I actually have some premier flavors right now. I had the chocolate for a snack last night. It was ok and i could stick with it if need be. It was nowhere near as good as the chocolate medifast I did back in the 90s though. I am pretty easy to please when it comes to food flavors.

I'm not a huge fan of premier...they aren't bad but I prefer Atkins. But, premier has more protein so I stuck to those lol. I never tried Medifast but I heard they were good :) 

Readytobeme likes this

20 hours ago, Readytobeme said:

I only had to do protein shakes for 2 weeks post op, so I just stuck to the premier chocolate flavor. I don't do protein shakes anymore because I'm finally eating enough in my diet.

I still do a chocolate Premier Protein first thing in the morning when I get up.  I feel like since my quantities of food consumed are so small, and I don't feel like having to gauge each ounce for grams of protein, I am pretty much ensured 60G+ daily when I start off my day with a quick 30G.  Also, it is an energy boost for me since I am caffeine-free.  Yeah it's weird....I am living with no caffeine after a decade of 6+ cans of Diet Pepsi daily.  Crazy! :)

Readytobeme likes this

On 9/28/2017 at 4:40 PM, Trish1967 said:

I'm not a huge fan of premier...they aren't bad but I prefer Atkins. But, premier has more protein so I stuck to those lol. I never tried Medifast but I heard they were good :) 

Ooh, I love, love the Premier Caramel. Really good in my coffee too. Weird thing is that I will do the Optifast for the month preop. I checked nutrition on them and they have more carbs, less protein than most others. Most of the shakes are around 15 grams of protein and 5 plus grams of carbs. more calories too.

I was on Atkins diet for more than 1 year. I liked their bars and shakes. I got a little burnt out on them though.

I did order a 17 sampler pack of the Syntrax. It was on sale for $22 and I am a sucker for a sale ;)

Trish1967 likes this

On 9/28/2017 at 5:14 PM, TammyP said:

I still do a chocolate Premier Protein first thing in the morning when I get up.  I feel like since my quantities of food consumed are so small, and I don't feel like having to gauge each ounce for grams of protein, I am pretty much ensured 60G+ daily when I start off my day with a quick 30G.  Also, it is an energy boost for me since I am caffeine-free.  Yeah it's weird....I am living with no caffeine after a decade of 6+ cans of Diet Pepsi daily.  Crazy! :)

I hear you. I too have to wean myself off the caffeine before surgery. Not at all looking forward to it. This group says NO caffeine for life. I don't buy that and seriously doubt that I will be off it for life. They are finding more and more everyday what benefits caffeine has. I guess that I will cross the bridge when I come to it.

1 hour ago, Readytobeme said:

Ooh, I love, love the Premier Caramel. Really good in my coffee too. Weird thing is that I will do the Optifast for the month preop. I checked nutrition on them and they have more carbs, less protein than most others. Most of the shakes are around 15 grams of protein and 5 plus grams of carbs. more calories too.

I was on Atkins diet for more than 1 year. I liked their bars and shakes. I got a little burnt out on them though.

I did order a 17 sampler pack of the Syntrax. It was on sale for $22 and I am a sucker for a sale ;)

I never tried the caramel flavor...I guess I should have ventured away from my usual chocolate and vanilla, lol.

I had to do a semi Atkins diet pre op, but no bars or shakes...or pizzas, pasta dishes, etc, etc...you get the idea. But that was only for 8 weeks, so I could see how you could get burnt out on it after a year! 

I hear a lot of good things about Syntrax. Let me know how you like them! God bless you for having to do optifast for a month pre op! I was very lucky and only had to do a 3 day liquid only diet pre op, and 7 days post op. 

Readytobeme likes this

4 hours ago, Trish1967 said:

I never tried the caramel flavor...I guess I should have ventured away from my usual chocolate and vanilla, lol.

I had to do a semi Atkins diet pre op, but no bars or shakes...or pizzas, pasta dishes, etc, etc...you get the idea. But that was only for 8 weeks, so I could see how you could get burnt out on it after a year! 

I hear a lot of good things about Syntrax. Let me know how you like them! God bless you for having to do optifast for a month pre op! I was very lucky and only had to do a 3 day liquid only diet pre op, and 7 days post op. 

The worst part about it is that Premier only makes the powders in Chocolate and Vanilla. The Strawberry and Caramel are not available in powder and that is what I like best.

I will let you know about the Syntrax. All of the flavors except one looked very good to me. My husband will be doing the diet along with me (kind of sort of) So we are both going to try the flavors out when they get here.

I agree though. 1 months preop and 3 weeks post op sounds like a long time for liquids. But, hopefully I will lose weight preop making the surgery that much easier. :)

Not doing very well over the past 2 weeks. Been really stress filled and a little sad here. I actually gained 3 pounds :( I am preparing to start getting myself together over the weekend. Monday I will start working towards my goals. One way or another.

BTW- I am not an emotional eater. I tend more towards no appetite when i am upset. What happens to me is that I get so darn busy that I end up eating things that are quick (not so healthy) I am the type that must have food prepared in advance for situations that may arise. I am working on doing just that.

Edited by Readytobeme
Trish1967 likes this

11 hours ago, Readytobeme said:

The worst part about it is that Premier only makes the powders in Chocolate and Vanilla. The Strawberry and Caramel are not available in powder and that is what I like best.

I will let you know about the Syntrax. All of the flavors except one looked very good to me. My husband will be doing the diet along with me (kind of sort of) So we are both going to try the flavors out when they get here.

I agree though. 1 months preop and 3 weeks post op sounds like a long time for liquids. But, hopefully I will lose weight preop making the surgery that much easier. :)

Not doing very well over the past 2 weeks. Been really stress filled and a little sad here. I actually gained 3 pounds :( I am preparing to start getting myself together over the weekend. Monday I will start working towards my goals. One way or another.

BTW- I am not an emotional eater. I tend more towards no appetite when i am upset. What happens to me is that I get so darn busy that I end up eating things that are quick (not so healthy) I am the type that must have food prepared in advance for situations that may arise. I am working on doing just that.

It's great your husband is doing this along with you!! My husband did something close to Atkins with me during my pre op, and he's lost about 40 pounds. He has about 12 more he wants to lose. 

That is a long time on liquids, but it will be so worth it...you will definitely lose weight pre op if you stick to your plan. And it will make things so much easier on your surgeon during surgery. You'll be surprised how fast the time passes once you get started :) 

I'm sorry things have been stressful and sad for you :( In addition to any personal stuff you've got going on, it can feel a bit overwhelming preparing for WLS. This forum is great for support and a wonderful place to come and vent if need be. We can help you through the rough spots :wub:

I AM an emotional/stress eater (well, I should say I WAS :)) And I also get the "eating on the fly" when things get super busy. I used to do the same thing. Now, first thing in the morning, I get all of my meals prepped (weighed and packaged so I can just grab and go if needed). Many a meal I've eaten in the car on the way to a doctor's appointment, lol...but now it's healthy food as opposed to fast food. Prepping your food ahead of time will save you a lot of stress and set you up for success!!

Readytobeme likes this

You know what I just noticed? The Premier protein drinks have Whey Concentrate and not the Whey Isolate that is supposed to be best. Has anyone else noticed this? What are your thoughts?

I did mention to the nurse a few days ago that I am drinking Premier. She didn't comment that there was anything wrong with it.

On 10/1/2017 at 0:00 AM, Readytobeme said:

You know what I just noticed? The Premier protein drinks have Whey Concentrate and not the Whey Isolate that is supposed to be best. Has anyone else noticed this? What are your thoughts?

I did mention to the nurse a few days ago that I am drinking Premier. She didn't comment that there was anything wrong with it.

Perhaps I am wrong, but the only major difference is that milk protein (whey) isolate does not have lactose in it. I'm not lactose intolerant so it makes no difference to me. Isolate is a lot more expensive (given the extra processing) and the small difference in terms of carbos and fats is essentially irrelevant to me, since my diet already includes some carbos and fats.  And have to say, more than 80 lbs down, I have a Premier Protein shake with a cup of blueberries, and psyllium (for fiber), every morning.  The carbos in my blueberries - filled with antioxidants, fiber, phytochemicals, etc etc - vastly  outweigh the small difference between isolate and concentrate. 

IMHO the differences between concentrate and isolate are only important if you are lactose intolerant or are on a super low fat diet. As to the latter, all the most recent data now is that it is not fats that make us obese, rather it is our high carbohydrate diet ...

Readytobeme likes this

Posted (edited)

I have been a true believer for years that the carbs are the issue. The many times that I successfully lost weight and maintained it were on low carb diets.

I recently read something, somewhere :blink: that mentioned using the Isolate only for some reason. Now I don't even remember why. If I see it again, I will post it here. It may have been for the same reasons that you stated. I don't think it was though.

Good info. Thanks for that.

Eta- I am thinking that the article was saying that isolate was a purer form of protein. Again, I could be wrong on that. This would confirm what you are saying.

Edited by Readytobeme

Oops. Almost forgot to mention that I got my Syntrax samples today. Looking forward to trying them. :D