Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ddddeb

Looking for RNY w/ revision buddies (plural b/c I can use all the help I can get!)

6 posts in this topic

How did your revision go?  Did things go better the second time and are you able to keep the weight off the second time?  If so, what made the difference?  I would love to hear your stories.

Edited by ddddeb
Typo

I haven't had a revision, but I'd just like to say hi and welcome :) I know there a few members on the forum that had revisions...maybe they will chime in. I hope you can get some advice from some that have been where you are now.

Hello and welcome. I am no help to you at all since I haven't even had surgery yet. You may find some information reading here http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/forum/139-weight-loss-surgery-revisions/

Hopefully a member will be a long soon that will be able to answer questions for you. You will find plenty of support on this forum.

Firstly, welcome @ddddeb! I had a revision on May 4 this year.....So mines pretty new at not quite 5 months yet. My original surgery was back in 1986 - yep you did read that right - 31 years ago. My first WLS was a barbaric brutal open surgery. I had severe scarring that my surgeons - yes there was 2 surgeons doing my revision - had to navigate, along with scaring from an open hysterectomy that I had 2 years ago. My surgeon was brilliant and managed to complete my revisional surgery completely laprascopically. It took them about 4 hours all up. Prior surgery had shredded much of my omentum, so they repaired what they could and removed what couldn't be repaired. I had an RNY bypass with a gastrectomy of the area of my stomach from the old staple line through to the new pouch stapleline. I had no complications during or after my surgery and could have been released from hospital 48 hours after surgery....however there were some questions over the surgeon's orders so I stayed an extra day. Pain was pretty severe post-op but we'll controlled by narcotics. Due to a lower BMI at time of surgery my post-op plan had me eating whatever I wanted from day 14. As far as weightloss goes you can see my stats in my signature line. I don't believe my weightloss has been slow given where I started. I'm already below goal.

Second time around is far better that first time. To begin with this time the internet was available for research and support. The members of this forum have been a godsend in that regard. Surgical techniques are also far better these days than they were first time, and there is now far better post surgical advice and support. Added to that I'm far more mature and experience has taught me what does and doesn't work weightloss wise for me. The social issues I experienced first time around are just the same this time around....however I'm better situated to handle them now as I've known what to expect.

I'll check back here to see if you have any specific questions....happy to answer them if you do.

ddddeb, NerdyLady and Res Ipsa like this

Thanks so much for your encouraging reply.  You definitely have an interesting story.  I had no idea that gastric bypass surgery was being done thirty years ago.  I am curious to know your age because my age is one of the 'nagging negatives' that plays in my head.  I am 57 y.o.  I sometimes think that I am too old to take this on again.  

I have no one to blame for the failure of my first bypass but myself.  I just didn't think the rules applied to me.   I drank before and after meals because I am on a medicine that dries out my mouth.  I grew discouraged because my weight loss was slower than others around me.

But at a weight of 279 lbs (I think that is about 126 kg) I have to do something.  I am very concerned that I will fail at this one as well.

I was pleased to hear you say that this website helped you.  I had no support system last time and still live in a rural area where there are no bypass support groups.   So thank you again for your reply.  

It is exciting for me to see that you have done so well with your weight loss.  Congratulations on your own "Thinner Times."

Deb

NerdyLady likes this

I'm 58, and only a couple of weeks away from 59. I also live in a rural area where there are not only no support groups....there are also no local doctors with WLS experience or knowledge. We don't train enough drs in Australia it seems to meet our country's needs, so rural areas tend to be under resourced and reliant on Indian trained drs desperate to work in Australia. With bariatric surgery still a rarity in India, these import doctors simply don't understand the issues we post-WLS patients can have.