Kio

... maybe dumping???

14 posts in this topic

I've been feeling "off" since Sunday, with periodic bouts of feeling worse.  It's a combination of lack of energy (which feels more constant since Sunday) with periods of feeling really bad - shaky, weak, warm, like I'm about to fall asleep any second.  I'm having the same thing right now, with a little nausea added on top.

I've talked to my surgeon's PA (several times) and been to see my PCP, and had all the requisite blood tests.  Everything is normal, I'm healing well, nothing seems wrong.  They tested my sodium levels, Vitamin D, B12, calcium, and the full CBC stuff. My PCP checked my blood sugar, heart rate, 02, respiration, and blood pressure.  All fine.

I'm starting to wonder if this is maybe dumping syndrome?  This morning I felt pretty normal, a little tired but not bad - felt well enough to shower and get myself together anyway.  But after a protein shake I felt shaky again, and then later after a little hummus felt much worse and also nauseated.  Today it seems more tied to eating events than it did yesterday or the day before, but those days honestly I wasn't paying much attention.

Just trying to figure out what's going on, since all my blood levels came out fine!  Does this sound like dumping?  From what I've read on the forum, it seems like a strong possibility - but I'm not eating anything sugary or fatty?

Edited by Kio

Just a thought Kio but you could be reacting to your protein shake if it's whey.  I had the same symptoms and had to switch to a soy powder for a while.

I don't know why you should react to hummus though.

The episodes you describe sound similar to hypoglycemia and dumping, but once the episode is over you don't usually have the fatigue like you describe.  And of course your blood sugar would be normal unless they tested it during an episode.  Maybe it's unrelated to WLS and you just picked up a little bug or something?  Whatever it is I hope it's resolved soon!

When I've dumped I have been exhausted afterwards.  Change things up a bit..

I hope you figure it out and it can be controlled! So glad you took this extra week off!

From what I've read dumping doesn't seem to last for days at a time. I was told I could have peanut butter at the start of week 3 (which was so not true) and dumped in within a few hours. Sweats, nauseous, diarrhea, weak... felt like death... but then it was gone when the food was gone. 

Maybe like msmarymac said you might have a bug? Your body might also just be tired from losing weight and healing. 

Some peanut butter has a lot of sugar in it. Personally, I like Teddie peanut butter which is made near me in Boston, the ingredients are peanuts and salt, nothing else.

21 hours ago, tmcgee said:

Some peanut butter has a lot of sugar in it. Personally, I like Teddie peanut butter which is made near me in Boston, the ingredients are peanuts and salt, nothing else.

Thank you... I will look out for a good peanut butter :)

1 hour ago, Mrs.NA said:

Thank you... I will look out for a good peanut butter :)

If you can't locate Teddy Peanut butter that Tom recommends, look out for Adam's.  The Creamy contains nothing but peanuts and 1% Or Less Of Salt.  And they do a salt free creamy too.  

Are you feeling good now @Kio?

58 minutes ago, Mrs.NA said:

Are you feeling good now @Kio?

Tons better!  :)  I occasionally get a bit of nausea now and then, but it generally only happens when I've just taken a vitamin - I'm planning to swap them out.  How are YOU doing??

Res Ipsa likes this

4 hours ago, Kio said:

Tons better!  :)  I occasionally get a bit of nausea now and then, but it generally only happens when I've just taken a vitamin - I'm planning to swap them out.  How are YOU doing??

Ok, I spoke a LITTLE too soon.  But at least tonight I know it was totally my own fault! And I'm all better now.

Edited by Kio

I'm glad to hear your doing better.

18 hours ago, Kio said:

One day at a time. Overall I'm doing pretty good. There are days that I eat the wrong thing (sometimes accidentally and once because I wanted the taste) which ended in not so good situations, and my stomach is very sore... I think from lifting too much. But it is all worth it. I'm already down 12% of my body weight and im looking forward to losing so much more!

BurgundyBoy likes this