Jen581791

Papaya Enzymes: get some.

7 posts in this topic

This is just a reaffirmation of the very sound advice I got early out to take papaya enzymes when it feels like something is stuck in my pouch. Buy some papaya enzymes if you don't have them. They work. I have no idea why - they're supposed to break down the proteins, I guess. I am *not* a "magical herbal supplement" kind of gal, and this sounded like hooey to me when I first heard it, but I swear by it now. 

I just had leftover Thai shrimp curry - which was lovely in my pouch last night, thank you - but tonight the quick but gentle reheating that I did made it so there was no way that shrimp was going down without a fight. I ate two little shrimps and that was it. Stuck and feeling terrible. 15 minutes of feeling like I'm dying, then remembered to take a papaya enzyme pill. 5 minutes later, I'm all good (well, mostly, I'm going to take it pretty easy in the food department for the rest of the day). I think about once a week or so I eat something that doesn't totally agree with me for whatever reason, and the papaya enzymes are the cure. 

Gretta, TammyP, NerdyLady and 3 others like this

funny thing....I bought them 2 wks ago when I read it on here....so I will be prepared when the time comes.  I read it was good for nausea too, but glad to hear this use also.  I think I'll be glad I have them! :)  glad you remembered them and they worked!

Jen581791 and NerdyLady like this

They are amazing and work wonders. I always have them on hand, even almost five years out.

Stephtay, NerdyLady and Jen581791 like this

Yep, agreed. I bought some before my surgery (on advice from here) so I'd have them on hand should I ever need them. While I rarely do, they do work quickly when I get that stuck feeling. I think my sister has used more of mine than I have...she has a lapband, and that stuck feeling seems to occur fairly frequently for her.

Papaya Enzymes are my go to gift for people I know having WLS. I like to give useful gifts, and to my mind these are the most useful things I've found from all my pre-surgery must haves advice.

GAviv, NerdyLady and Jen581791 like this

Good to know! I'm hoping my pre-op appointment will be happening this month, so I'm excited to get stuff ahead of time that will come in handy!

NerdyLady and Jen581791 like this

I started using papaya enzyme after having my gall bladder removed. A few years later I started using something that woks even better for me. I use many natural and herbal products. They work and I am a true believer in them. I buy most of my supplements through Swansons. Have for years. In case anyone is interested, this is what I use.

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-ultra-maximum-strength-biocore-lipo-60-veg-caps

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-ultra-biocore-optimum-complete-ultimate-full-spectrum-enzymes-90-veg-caps

There were many things that I could not eat at all after gall bladder remover. Just like what some of you are saying, these foods would just sit in my stomach. Lack of good quality bile made it hard or impossible to digest them. The above enzymes changed all of that.

Edited by Readytobeme
NerdyLady, Stephtay and Jen581791 like this

I swear by papaya enzymes, too.  Papaya is supposed to help in the digestion of food.  They are chewable so good for earlier out too.  Walmart carries them, so easy to find.

Jen581791 and NerdyLady like this