CheeringCJ

skin breaking down?

Ok, so i know I am not the only one....so what do you do about skin that is in between the "folds" where it sweats and then gets pink then sore then red and then splits.....there's gotta be something that helps!

I'd recommend you see your PCP about that.  I'm sure they can give you something to help and it should also help down the road to have a documented history of skin issues should you want to pursue excess skin removal surgery.

1 hour ago, CJireh said:

Ok, so i know I am not the only one....so what do you do about skin that is in between the "folds" where it sweats and then gets pink then sore then red and then splits.....there's gotta be something that helps!

@cinwa is right - get that officially documented for later!  The sooner the better.  Some insurance companies need to see an ongoing history of the issue before they'll approve panniculectomy.

For me, what helps is just being super clean and dry there. After every shower (every day) I use a towel thoroughly and then a blow dryer on "cool" to get everything really dry.  The pink/soreness is irritation from bacteria that grow in moisture, so the dryer you are, the less it happens.  

I also find that using Dial antibacterial soap - just on the problem areas, not on the rest of you and definitely not on the lady bits unless you want a yeast infection - is really helpful.  

It's often fungal in origin which thrives in warm moist environments (like skin folds).  Dry is very important so I'd echo the cool blow dryer advice.  I used to have my daughter use a powder for athletes foot (which is also fungal) and that helped immensely.  Her problem area is under her (very large) breasts but same principle.

Yeah, I have it there too. Not always severe, but at times painful and some times it's not there at all (though in the warmer months, it is almost always there). Oddly enough my GYN gave me an anti fungal ointment, but to me, sticking moist ointment in a spot you're trying to keep dry isn't the best idea. I tried spraying on an athletes foot powder spray which sounds perfect, but the skin was slightly opened and I literally hollared out loud!  Ouch! I do use the blow dryer when I get out of the shower (I shower every day)  but it gets sweaty throughout the day (especially upon exertion).  I tried antiperspirant but it didn't seem a whole lot better. 

A little bit of Neosporin usually helps for me if it's gotten to the point of being red/sore.

Washing the area with Selson Yellow shampoo is what many medicos recommend here. It has anti-fungal properties. You just rinse it off after washing the affected area and dry afterwards by whatever method you're comfortable with.

I agree with Cinwa, see your PCP.  I just had skin removal this past Wednesday for this very issue.  No matter how much I cleaned it and kept it dry the problem conitijudl

@PapaG how are you doing from the skin removal? Was that really painful?  I hope you heal well and that is solves the issue!

Thanks everyone for the tips...and I will l mention it to my PCP when I see her soon.  My GYN has it documented but it can't help to have the PCP have it documented too! thank you!

17 hours ago, CJireh said:

@PapaG how are you doing from the skin removal? Was that really painful?  I hope you heal well and that is solves the issue!

I’m only 4 days post-op and still on some great pain meds.  :-)

Serously though, I have experienced pain when I miss a dose of pain killers.  I would rate the pain as not as bad as my hip replacement but worse than my sleeve.  On whole it is serious surgery and has the appropriate pain to go along with it.

It is really amazing, even with the current bruising and scarring looks amazing.  With the swelling taken into account I’ve never had a flat stomach or no man breasts my entire adult life.  A truely amazing experience and quite wonderful.

@PapaG, did your insurance cover it (or any of it) or was it all out of pocket?  just curious.  

I would think it would be like most things in live worth having...painful but worth it!  Good luck in healing and here's to the new you!!!!  what would it be, Paul 2.0?  No, I guess that was the surgery, so maybe Paul 2.1!

Once it's cracked, red, and painful, 9 times out of 10, its a variation of jock itch or athlete's foot (which are the same organism). Often the OTC treatments for that can help a lot. Keeping it clean and dry is the main goal - if its getting pretty damp, there's a product called intertrigo that can be placed to wick moisture, or sometimes even plain gauze can help. But definitely have it documented through your physician, as that's how you place the foundation for a medically necessary panniculectomy :D 

it just sounds so gross....doesn't it?  It will get better when it cools down outside, and I keep it mostly at bay by washing, drying, medicated powder, etc but it is always just a step away from getting red and sore.  I am afraid it will get worse after my surgery bc I will have more skin to fold over and irritate but it is already annoying now so this isn't better (being heavy and having it break down as opposed to being a healthier weight and having it break down!)

5 hours ago, CJireh said:

@PapaG, did your insurance cover it (or any of it) or was it all out of pocket?  just curious.  

I would think it would be like most things in live worth having...painful but worth it!  Good luck in healing and here's to the new you!!!!  what would it be, Paul 2.0?  No, I guess that was the surgery, so maybe Paul 2.1!

Due to the skin issues and back pain it was covered, If I ever want to do my arms, back or legs that would be out of pocket.  Not sure which version of Paul we’re on, perhaps 3.0 due to the hip and some other changes over the years.  Man I’m getting old.  :-)

4 hours ago, CJireh said:

it just sounds so gross....doesn't it?  It will get better when it cools down outside, and I keep it mostly at bay by washing, drying, medicated powder, etc but it is always just a step away from getting red and sore.  I am afraid it will get worse after my surgery bc I will have more skin to fold over and irritate but it is already annoying now so this isn't better (being heavy and having it break down as opposed to being a healthier weight and having it break down!)

Sadly I can verify your suspicion - it does sort of get worse as you uh, deflate yourself. :(  Personally, I find the medicated powders can tend to get a bit gritty and make things worse.  But there are some sprays as well that you can use, as long as you very carefully avoid your ladybits!

On 9/21/2017 at 10:18 AM, CJireh said:

Document, document, document. Keep a record of doctor visits, diagnoses, treatments, and include lots of close photos when it looks bad. Then getting it covered under your insurance should be easier.