Sign in to follow this  
TammyP

Right-side lower back pain when laying down

For the last 3-4 nights, I have been having pain on my right side lower back when trying to sleep.  I have done nothing to strain my back at all.  The pain is getting worse.  Last night I had to move to a chair as I don't hurt sitting up just laying down.  I really can't sleep in chairs well, so an hour and a Tylenol later I was able to lay back down for a bit before the alarm went off.  I assume this is more of a "put a call into my GP" than my surgeon?  I am worried this is gallbladder or kidney stones.  I have never had an issue with either so your advice is very appreciated.  Thank you!

If your pain is only at night when you're laying down it's unlikely to be something like gallbladder or kidney stone.  It would be more logical for it to be musculoskeletal, even without known back injury.  Could it be related to positioning, age of mattress, etc?  Or perhaps the pain is there during the day but you're able to ignore it until you are quiet at night?  In any case, it does seem unlikely to be surgery related so probably you GP is the way to go.

I had a similar pain/ache (lower right back) that turned out to be a kidney stone.  I agree with msmarymac about contacting your GP and it doesn't sound WLS related.

7 minutes ago, msmarymac said:

If your pain is only at night when you're laying down it's unlikely to be something like gallbladder or kidney stone.  It would be more logical for it to be musculoskeletal, even without known back injury.  Could it be related to positioning, age of mattress, etc?  Or perhaps the pain is there during the day but you're able to ignore it until you are quiet at night?  In any case, it does seem unlikely to be surgery related so probably you GP is the way to go.

Thanks mary.  I was thinking that too as far as the mattress, so we flipped/rotated it over the weekend.  The mattress is only a year old.  I really haven't felt pain when upright - I've even been maintaining my 8k steps per day.  I haven't done any walking yet today because I'm concerned.  And wouldn't you know it my GP is off today and tomorrow :( 

11 minutes ago, cinwa said:

I had a similar pain/ache (lower right back) that turned out to be a kidney stone.  I agree with msmarymac about contacting your GP and it doesn't sound WLS related.

TY cinwa.  Are WLS patients more prone to kidney stones?  I have seen that we seem to be more prone to gallbladder issues...

I have an appt with a GP this morning.  I'll give an update as soon as I know more.

5 minutes ago, TammyP said:

TY cinwa.  Are WLS patients more prone to kidney stones?  I have seen that we seem to be more prone to gallbladder issues...

I know that it's more common in RNY and DS patients:  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4249680/

Since the first report in 2005, Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB) surgery has been linked to a variety of metabolic changes that alter kidney stone risk. The studies with the highest level of evidence, performed in non-stone forming patients before and after RYGB, cite a number of kidney stone risk factors, including a 25% increase in urinary oxalate, a 30% decrease in urinary citrate, ...........

Having said that, I believe there is a small increased risk of developing kidney stones following a VSG.  The most common cause being not drinking enough fluids, especially water (salts, minerals, and other substances in the urine can stick together and form a stone).

Urine test revealed no kidney infection (yay).  So she thinks this is muscular, and prescribed me a muscle relaxer.  Hopefully it will help me to sleep better tonight.

That's good to know Tammy.  Take it easy and try a hot water bottle/heating pad.

On 9/21/2017 at 2:03 PM, TammyP said:

Urine test revealed no kidney infection (yay).  So she thinks this is muscular, and prescribed me a muscle relaxer.  Hopefully it will help me to sleep better tonight.

How are you doing?

and, can you take a nonsteroidal like ibuprofen or naprosyn? 

I'm still iffy, thanks for checking on me.  The doc prescribed Cyclobenzapr as a muscle relaxer, but I only take it before bed time since it knocks me out.  The daytime over the counter I am taking is Percogesic.  I have been concentrating on icing/heating.  Honestly I think that is helping more than anything else.  I still don't get though why I have no pain doing anything else but when laying down.  I don't feel a pulled muscle when I turn, or stoop or bend.  It's weird lol.  At least I am able to function normally most of the day.  :) 

And I just read the label on the Percogesic - it has an NSAID so back to Tylenol it is...

Edited by TammyP