Lindycalk1

ITS A HARD REALITY

I recently had my sleeve done on Monday sept 11th since then im actually already down 20 lbs which im happy with and proud of because its been a crazy week. that being said I was expecting this to be different then what this journey has been so far. for start im hungary! I really want to eat everything and anything at this point that is not a liquid my daily food is killing me! right now im only having protein shakes, sugar free popsicles ,sf pudding, Greek yogurt and broth. also the occasional  sf jello. but I cant wait to put something warm into my mouth like cream of wheat or, refried beans , ricotta something anything! also the pain is getting better but man I also have fibro and I swear my nerve pain is worse then the actually surgery! im hoping once im able to eat real food I will have some sense of being full ad I haven't really felt that with the full liquids yet. Im also begging for some sort of energy.....my body feels like it hates me right now... :(

Hang in there Lindy - the liquid phase of your post-op journey is a short but important part of your journey.  

The sensation of not being full is something you need to embrace because being realistic, that's what got you to the point of needing WLS in the first place and truthfully, for me, the feeling full feeling post-WLS is not the comforting thing it was pre-op.

Take it one day at a time.  Try warm drinks can be more satisfying than cold ones (herbal teas are my go-to).

Lindy, sorry you're having such a hard time of it! Have you tried heating up a protein shake?  The shakes I'm using - Premier Protein - heat up really well.  And the chocolate version makes a great "hot chocolate".  You can spice it up with cinnamon for an extra kick.  You can also doctor up your broth with spices - I like to put a little splash of soy sauce in my chicken broth - for variety.  

@cinwa is totally right - this phase will go by fast, and soon you'll be trying to figure out how to spice up your refried beans and ricotta!

Wow! 20 pounds in just 1 week is awesome. Congratulations on that.

I have not yet had surgery but, when i do I must do the liquid diet for one full month before surgery. I have done the optifast diet years ago so am a little aware of what to expect. I am going to mix it up between shakes and soups just to be able to feel something warm in my stomach when I get really hungry.

I see many people talking about being very tired after surgery. I am not looking forward to that part myself. I already struggle with constant fatigue and being tired all of the time now. But, I plan to keep my eye on the prize and know that much better days are ahead. I already know it is all going to be worth it in the long run.

Good luck to you and hang in there.

9 hours ago, Lindycalk1 said:

I recently had my sleeve done on Monday sept 11th since then im actually already down 20 lbs which im happy with and proud of because its been a crazy week. that being said I was expecting this to be different then what this journey has been so far. for start im hungary! I really want to eat everything and anything at this point that is not a liquid my daily food is killing me! right now im only having protein shakes, sugar free popsicles ,sf pudding, Greek yogurt and broth. also the occasional  sf jello. but I cant wait to put something warm into my mouth like cream of wheat or, refried beans , ricotta something anything! also the pain is getting better but man I also have fibro and I swear my nerve pain is worse then the actually surgery! im hoping once im able to eat real food I will have some sense of being full ad I haven't really felt that with the full liquids yet. Im also begging for some sort of energy.....my body feels like it hates me right now... :(

I had hedonistic hunger... the desire to eat what looked good or that I remembered as tasty. - but not physiological hunger. Took me a while to separate them. Oh and the lack of mouth feel!

Great progress and good luck. You'll be fine, this is just a stage.

The liquid phase is so hard. Nothing sits in your sleeve long enought to truly feel full. Those liquids just flow right through. While waiting for more satisfying stages, try taking something for acid when you're feeling hungry. Acid could be the cause. Your weight loss is amazing. Focus on positives like that while you wait out this phase.

Lindy, the lack of the salty taste during my liquid phase is what got to me.  I went through chicken broth with some spices here.. and other soups that my NUT recommended.  That helped me a lot while I waited for the pureed food stage.  That was the hardest stage.  Pureed foods were heaven! Hang in there... you will get through this and you have us to help.

Hi, @Lindycalk1

Our stats are about the same except I am still waiting for my surgery and you already had yours.  I am amazed at how quickly you lost.  Did you lose any pre-op also?  I hope this phase passes quickly and you can move on to more "exciting" things (who ever knew you'd be excited to have soft foods?!?!)

Hi! Yes Im doing so much better! I just got back from my post opp apt! My doctor said I was doing awesome! I have been able to eat puréed food since Tuesday! And it's been great however ever since then I haven't really wanted to eat anything! and I'm focusing on getting some fluids in because I lack on doing that! My doctor asked me what my goal weight was today and I said 145 and he laughed and told me I would surely surpass that no problem he said with my height and body type I'd be more like 120-130 range in a year! He was different then most dr's on this forum I only had to eat "healthy" for a week before surgery but it was mostly just salad and grilled chicken and Tried to stay away from pastas and bread! And then I had to have a full liquid the day before! I actually didn't loose anything before surgery and today when I went in to the office I'm down 21 lbs! he was very happy with that number and said that everyone looses different and was happy I had lost so much! Good luck on your up coming surgery! everyday gets better for me!

Wow, that is amazing!  Now my Dr is much different.  I am older (50) but he set my goal weight at 170 which I thought was conservative but I will take it...right now that sounds "thin" to me!...any extra will be a bonus!  i plan on being on here so I keep talking about it, being reminded of the things that get forgotten (like to not drink with a meal etc) and just have the support I need to be successful.  That will help be get below his goal for me!  Glad you're doing so well and that your dr is pleased!  Keep up the good work!

I remember eating beans and I seriously felt like angels showed up and sang around me as I took each bite.  Those beans are coming and when they do enjoy the two bites that your stomach will be able to hold hehehe.