Readytobeme

Disgusted/ 6 month rule

49 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Readytobeme said:

That is another point of stress for me.There are 3 surgeons on the team. The 2 with the most experience (and online reviews) take awhile to get an appointment with. There is another surgeon in the group that has been with them 5 years. I could get in with her much sooner but, unable to find many reviews on her. At this point I don't even know which surgeon I am going to use.

Same thing happened to me. The surgeon another dr recommended to me had a waiting list of several months. So I went with the younger one with less experience. I LOVED her. She'd done hundreds of sleeves at that point (the other one had done thousands). After our initial consult, I ended up feeling really comfortable with her and I am glad I didn't wait for the other guy.

Readytobeme likes this

12 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Press on. Threaten to go to newspapers and better busiNess about heartless stupid company. State you will have lawyer in 24 hours too. Be unspeakably polite.

Yes, I can be unspeakably polite with the best of them.  Normally, I would take this as far as I could go with it. It is really unfair IMHO. But, after thinking on it overnight I am leaning towards waiting the 6 months. This will give me time to learn all that I am able to plus get at least a little of myself together and healthier for the surgery. Extra bonus is that I will not be recovering from major surgery during the holidays.

Thank you for the input. The support means a lot to me.

BurgundyBoy likes this

2 hours ago, Stephtay said:

Same thing happened to me. The surgeon another dr recommended to me had a waiting list of several months. So I went with the younger one with less experience. I LOVED her. She'd done hundreds of sleeves at that point (the other one had done thousands). After our initial consult, I ended up feeling really comfortable with her and I am glad I didn't wait for the other guy.

Thank you! I have had similar experiences with drs in the past. I go to a pain management dr that is very renowned and experienced in my area. Once it came to medication management, I was "passed off" to a nurse practioner in his office. I actually like the NP much better and she is very knowledgeable in many areas.

I get to pick which 2 support groups I go to each month. The Dr in question is leading one of them next month. I purposely chose that as one of them so that I could get a feel for what I think of her.

So good to hear from someone else that went through the same thing! :)

Edited by Readytobeme
Stephtay likes this

Update- I did find another number to call instead of the number on my insurance card about this. Been a very busy week this week but, I do plan to call next week. I will update here with the results just in case anyone else may find the information helpful in the future.

Like BurgundyBoy said, that blood work should count as monitoring.

Edited by Readytobeme

On 9/19/2017 at 0:00 PM, Readytobeme said:

Thank you, Trish. I may have worded things wrong. I meant that I need to keep in mind that people have jumped through much harder hoops than I am/will and made it to the other side just fine. No doubt that I will as well :)

You WILL make it through to the other side just fine! :) Sometimes it's easy to forget just how infuriating these delays can be once we are post op, even though we've gone through it. I can remember when I was pre op the first time, the wonderful folks here on the forum were so supportive, and telling me that before I knew it, I would be on the losers bench. But despite all of the support I found here, I was doubting it would ever happen...because every time I turned around, there was another hoop to jump through. I kept telling myself that after my cancer was treated, I would get back in the program and schedule my surgery. Then I found myself postponing getting back in the game. I set up an appointment for January. I cancelled that appointment, and rescheduled for May, because I didn't think I was ready. My surgeon's office called me 3 times between January and March with cancellations and offering to give me an earlier date. The first two times I said I wasn't ready. The third time, I figured the powers that be really wanted me to take an earlier appointment, so I did. I ended up having my surgery 8 days before my May appointment would have been, lol. So here I am now, a little over 4 months post op, and finding it hard to believe it took 21 months to get here. 

I agree with BurgundyBoy about checking when the doctor received your blood work results. Maybe that will give you a bargaining chip with the insurance company. If you do have to go through the whole 6 months again, msmarymac has some great advice about using the time to your advantage and getting the head stuff straightened out before surgery...and practicing your post op habits now. Hang in there...I'm thinking of you ❤️

Readytobeme likes this

On 9/20/2017 at 3:56 PM, Readytobeme said:

Yes, I can be unspeakably polite with the best of them.  Normally, I would take this as far as I could go with it. It is really unfair IMHO. But, after thinking on it overnight I am leaning towards waiting the 6 months. This will give me time to learn all that I am able to plus get at least a little of myself together and healthier for the surgery. Extra bonus is that I will not be recovering from major surgery during the holidays.

Thank you for the input. The support means a lot to me.

You should certainly do what gets to you being best prepared for the WLS and the long run.

It's clear that having lots of social support in place, psychological issues addressed or being addressed, the capacity to stick to the diet, and even modest amounts of exercise predict long term success. I think there is pretty good data that people who have lost some weight before surgery also have statistically better results as well. You are smart to get yourself in order!

Readytobeme likes this

Happy Dance!!!!! Not sure whether to laugh or cry. I have been super stressed about supposedly having to wait another 6 months for surgery.

Guess what just hit me tonight? My policy states that I must have at least 6 consecutive supervised and failed weight loss attempts within 2 years prior. Well, I saw my PCP in May, June and July of 2016 when I was taking Qsymia. Then I went to the local bariatric weight loss Dr in August, September, October and November of 2016. That  is 7 consecutive months of supervised attempts at losing weight. This is what my records show. I have my records from bariatric Dr and am going to call my PCP to confirm the dates in 2016 that I saw him first thing in the morning. I am going by my when i got my prescriptions filled so hopefully my dr visits will coincide with that. It seems like I didn't get my first script filled right away. That would be just my luck that I screwed myself up once again. I shall find out in the morning though.

I had just set my mind on the fact that I would have to wait the 6 months out and was ok with it. Until I figured out that my $500 hospital deductible has already been met for this year. If I have to wait until February or March, my deductible would be due all over again. That would really suck but is what it is. I am not giving up quite yet though.

Something has just got to work out here. I don't feel like the CNA handling it at the surgeons office is putting much effort into it. She was pretty quick to just tell me that I have to do the 6 months all over again. Probably makes her job easier not having to research and get records for me.

I have my nutrition eval tomorrow so at least I will feel like things are moving in the right direction.

Edited by Readytobeme
Jen581791 and Gretta like this

Well just as I figured, that didn't work out for me. Evidently I only saw my doc at the beginning of the Qsymia trial. That's okay though because the 6 months may be helpful to have anyway. Just sucks that it will cost me more $

The visit to the dietician went well. She said that I never need to see her again unless I want/need to. I know so much about nutrition that I could probably teach others myself. I just need to put it into practice is all.

On another note, I asked the dietician how to get surgery stats on the female Dr that I could get in faster to see. She told me to give her some time. She will get the info together and post the info at the local office that my support groups are at.

I was at their main office (an hour away from me) today. I saw a patient in their lobby that obviously had WLS. He was an older gentlemen probably in his mid to late 70s. He had a catheter bag strapped to his leg. I found myself wondering what may have gone wrong for him.

All in all it was a productive day. My first support group is tomorrow. Onward I go :)

1 hour ago, Readytobeme said:

I saw a patient in their lobby that obviously had WLS. He was an older gentlemen probably in his mid to late 70s. He had a catheter bag strapped to his leg. I found myself wondering what may have gone wrong for him.

Are you sure he was even a WLS patient? Sounds well above the age bracket they like to perform WLS for. Is it possible he was just accompanying someone else to their appointment. Is it possible he uses that office for other gastric/general surgery? My bariatric surgeon is also a highly regarded gastro/cancer surgeon. I definitely wouldn't be questioning anyone seeing him that had a catheter, as I often saw them used by patients who had had cancer surgeries.

BurgundyBoy likes this

8 hours ago, Aussie H said:

Are you sure he was even a WLS patient? Sounds well above the age bracket they like to perform WLS for. Is it possible he was just accompanying someone else to their appointment. Is it possible he uses that office for other gastric/general surgery? My bariatric surgeon is also a highly regarded gastro/cancer surgeon. I definitely wouldn't be questioning anyone seeing him that had a catheter, as I often saw them used by patients who had had cancer surgeries.

I thought about that as well. The only surgery that this group performs is WLS though. I could tell that he had a lot of loose skin under his clothes. Plus, his wife was with him and he was holding on to her to steady himself as he walked.

I have my first class tonight and I am going to ask about it. Just as a general question. I will try to ask the nurse what the possibilities may have been before or after the class.

2 hours ago, Readytobeme said:

I thought about that as well. The only surgery that this group performs is WLS though. I could tell that he had a lot of loose skin under his clothes. Plus, his wife was with him and he was holding on to her to steady himself as he walked.

I have my first class tonight and I am going to ask about it. Just as a general question. I will try to ask the nurse what the possibilities may have been before or after the class.

Doubt it has anything to do with WLS.

Old guy, with a catheter = big prostate and he needs catheter to pee.

Stomach and prostate are not near one another.... ;)

Readytobeme and Aussie H like this

7 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Doubt it has anything to do with WLS.

Old guy, with a catheter = big prostate and he needs catheter to pee.

Stomach and prostate are not near one another.... ;)

I totally forgot to ask tonight. You are probably right though. Just odd since my Internist sent me to these Drs specifically because it is all that they do. No other type of surgery. They actually have an OR in the hospital that stays set up with nothing but their WLS instruments in it.

The main office for these Drs is an hour away for me. There is a group local but, they do general surgery as well as WLS so my physician preferred I go and see these. Thank goodness that they do have a satellite office closer to me. That is where I go to the support group meetings.

1 hour ago, Readytobeme said:

I totally forgot to ask tonight. You are probably right though. Just odd since my Internist sent me to these Drs specifically because it is all that they do. No other type of surgery. They actually have an OR in the hospital that stays set up with nothing but their WLS instruments in it.

The main office for these Drs is an hour away for me. There is a group local but, they do general surgery as well as WLS so my physician preferred I go and see these. Thank goodness that they do have a satellite office closer to me. That is where I go to the support group meetings.

He may have had bariatric surgery a long time ago, and then had other health problems afterwards, like prostate surgery. I really can't think of a reason to have a catheter from weight loss surgery. Not long term like that. 

Edited by ktgrok

3 hours ago, ktgrok said:

He may have had bariatric surgery a long time ago, and then had other health problems afterwards, like prostate surgery. I really can't think of a reason to have a catheter from weight loss surgery. Not long term like that. 

I so wish that I had remembered to ask tonight. I will get to the bottom of it. I was a little startled when i saw him.

I was a little rattled by a few of the things said during the medications group tonight. That was all I could think about. Then I mentioned the possibility of staple line leaks to my husband this evening. He said that this surgery is sounding more dangerous by the day.

Such a roller coaster ride that I am on. I know that you all have been where I am.

3 minutes ago, Readytobeme said:

I so wish that I had remembered to ask tonight. I will get to the bottom of it. I was a little startled when i saw him.

Time for some tough talk now. I think it better you forgot to ask if I'm honest. Apart from the fact it is none of your business, the medical practice have no right to answer any questions regarding another client's health. If they do they should lose their license to practise.

It seems to me like you are jumping at shadows. The risk of a leak is 1-2% for first time WLS. Times that by 10 for revisional surgeries. The risk of death on the table is even lower. You (and you husband it now seems) need to evaluate your health and mortality risks should you not have the surgery. Use your 6 months wait wisely. If you are going to get scared by each and every possible complication that could happen, then research the stats regarding who is most likely to be affected. You'll no doubt find, as many of us have, that it's the older, higher BMI, least fit etc that are most likely to have complications. Focus your time on ameliorating as many of your risk factors as you can. That means diet, exercise, and getting any other medical issues under control (e.g. sleep aponea).

Carina, BurgundyBoy and msmarymac like this

As others said, they shouldn't tell you about his history, other than I could see them maybe saying it wasn't related to their surgery maybe...but they shouldn't even say that. But yeah, the general rule is that age 65 is the cut off, so I doubt he had surgery recently. And they aren't doing surgery on the bladder, so I just don't see any way to connect it to WLS. But older men often DO have prostate problems, and prostate surgery can leave them unable to urinate normally. 

As for the risks of surgery, yes, they are there. However, the risks of staying morbidly obese (anything over a 40 BMI) are MUCH higher. MUCH. Don't forget that. We are talking a 30-40% reduction in your risk of DEATH over the next 10 years if you DO have surgery!

benifits-of-surgery-health-improvements.

CJireh likes this

6 hours ago, Readytobeme said:

I was a little rattled by a few of the things said during the medications group tonight. That was all I could think about. Then I mentioned the possibility of staple line leaks to my husband this evening. He said that this surgery is sounding more dangerous by the day.

Such a roller coaster ride that I am on. I know that you all have been where I am.

With @Aussie H on this. Take a deep breath. 

Look at the statistics for WLS and remember that the chance of a given complication is low. It is not zero but they are in general low. Let's say your chance of a leak at the staple line is 1% (with an experienced surgeon it's probably less, but let's use that number). Leaks get treated, sometimes with second surgery and sometimes with a period of nothing-by-mouth as the leak closes on its own. Leaks do not usually lead to death, they are no joke, for example:  There has been a recent posting by someone who had an infection and was in the hospital for a long time, but that is uncommon. The person with the infection stated that she would still have the surgery. 99% of the time - no leak. The risk of death is about 1.5 or 2. per 1,000 cases for a bypass, perhaps 1 per 1,000 for a sleeve...., again mostly in the most obese and least fit and most likely to have diabetes, etc. People in the latter group will often die early and after having been sick for some time, having had some years of ill health and compromised capacities.  

Then look at your risk of hypertension, diabetes, sleep apnea, stroke, heart attacks, heart failure, cancer related to obesity. All of these kill. As my hypertension resolved, my risk of death from stroke, heart failure, heart attack, etc dropped to one third of what it had been. My estimated lifespan using a variety of calculators has now gone up by 13-17 years. 

So the equation for me (a sleever) was: 

{ 1-2% chance of significant complication, 0.1% chance of death } versus { 13-17 extra years of life }

You trade a little bit of up-front risk for a whole lot of reduced risk over the rest of your lifespan. Your real and imminent danger is in having obesity. The operations are now less risky than having your gall bladder removed. Sure the complications sound scary, and dramatic, and all those things.... but an early, quiet, lingering, bad death from diabetes and heart failure is far more likely. This is the time to do the math and make an unemotional decision. .... and use the 6 months to reduce your (small) surgical risks. 

Edited by BurgundyBoy
poor grammar
Gretta and Aussie H like this

On 9/28/2017 at 1:48 AM, Aussie H said:

Time for some tough talk now. I think it better you forgot to ask if I'm honest. Apart from the fact it is none of your business, the medical practice have no right to answer any questions regarding another client's health. If they do they should lose their license to practise.

It seems to me like you are jumping at shadows. The risk of a leak is 1-2% for first time WLS. Times that by 10 for revisional surgeries. The risk of death on the table is even lower. You (and you husband it now seems) need to evaluate your health and mortality risks should you not have the surgery. Use your 6 months wait wisely. If you are going to get scared by each and every possible complication that could happen, then research the stats regarding who is most likely to be affected. You'll no doubt find, as many of us have, that it's the older, higher BMI, least fit etc that are most likely to have complications. Focus your time on ameliorating as many of your risk factors as you can. That means diet, exercise, and getting any other medical issues under control (e.g. sleep aponea).

I don't think that you understood much of what I said. I would NEVER ask specifically about the person that I saw. This is why I stated from the start that I was going to ask questions in general of what could bring a person to this point. I am very aware of Hippa rules and do tend to mind my own business.

You really don't know me. I am pretty tough and don't tend to scare easily. I have been through hell in my lifetime (things that would send the roughest and toughest running for the door).

I am not an ignorant person and I did my research. Very much aware of the risks involved with obesity and with the surgery.  I would not be at this point if I were not.

I was really just thinking aloud here.

Edited by Readytobeme

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

As others said, they shouldn't tell you about his history, other than I could see them maybe saying it wasn't related to their surgery maybe...but they shouldn't even say that. But yeah, the general rule is that age 65 is the cut off, so I doubt he had surgery recently. And they aren't doing surgery on the bladder, so I just don't see any way to connect it to WLS. But older men often DO have prostate problems, and prostate surgery can leave them unable to urinate normally. 

As for the risks of surgery, yes, they are there. However, the risks of staying morbidly obese (anything over a 40 BMI) are MUCH higher. MUCH. Don't forget that. We are talking a 30-40% reduction in your risk of DEATH over the next 10 years if you DO have surgery!

benifits-of-surgery-health-improvements.

@ktgrok can you post the link to the article you got this from?  I find it really interesting and would like to see further info.  Thanks

3 hours ago, CJireh said:

@ktgrok can you post the link to the article you got this from?  I find it really interesting and would like to see further info.  Thanks

It's a photo my surgeon's office shared, but I know you can find the same info in several places. 

Thanks, I had no idea about all of them, especially the migraines. My daughter suffers from them so often and is overweight. I never knew a correlation. I knew the sleep apnea, hypertension and sleep apnea and diabetes but didn't realize just how many things it changes  

Oh, and on the picture, they forgot to point out the double chin and how you get rid of that...lol

Edited by CJireh

On 9/28/2017 at 10:11 AM, CJireh said:

I saw that at another forum several days ago. I almost copied the picture here myself. I will PM the link to the article when I remember where I saw it.

ETA- found it

Edited by Readytobeme
CJireh likes this

On 9/28/2017 at 7:11 AM, CJireh said:

Try right clicking on the graphic and "search for the image".

1 hour ago, cinwa said:

Try right clicking on the graphic and "search for the image".

Thanks, @cinwa, never thought of that!  and thanks for the link/info, @Readytobeme!

Readytobeme likes this