Kio

Post-op fluids

Recommended Posts

I do a lot of flipping back and forth between the Tufts post-op bible and my surgeon's post-op instructions - and I have a question!  Probably a question for my nutritionist, but it's Sunday, so until I talk to her...

It seems like some people's instructions say to include protein shakes in their "fluids" count post-op, and some do not. For instance, mine does not.  They want me to get 64oz of fluids per day NOT counting my protein shakes - while Tufts explicitly says to count shakes toward the fluids goal.

What is up with that?  If I count shakes I'm hitting around 90 oz of fluids a day; if I don't, I hit around 60-64.  And my friends, I am drinking constantly. I am a champion drinker.  My throat is tired!  

Of my fluids other than shakes, I'd say 90% comes from regular old H20.  The other 10% is spread out between broths, sugar free popsicles, and sugar free jello.  

I'm just wondering what most people here do - count shakes as fluids?  Not count them?  Honestly it's about to start mattering less, since I get to have other protein sources starting tomorrow.  But I'm still curious!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kio said:

I do a lot of flipping back and forth between the Tufts post-op bible and my surgeon's post-op instructions - and I have a question!  Probably a question for my nutritionist, but it's Sunday, so until I talk to her...

It seems like some people's instructions say to include protein shakes in their "fluids" count post-op, and some do not. For instance, mine does not.  They want me to get 64oz of fluids per day NOT counting my protein shakes - while Tufts explicitly says to count shakes toward the fluids goal.

What is up with that?  If I count shakes I'm hitting around 90 oz of fluids a day; if I don't, I hit around 60-64.  And my friends, I am drinking constantly. I am a champion drinker.  My throat is tired!  

Of my fluids other than shakes, I'd say 90% comes from regular old H20.  The other 10% is spread out between broths, sugar free popsicles, and sugar free jello.  

I'm just wondering what most people here do - count shakes as fluids?  Not count them?  Honestly it's about to start mattering less, since I get to have other protein sources starting tomorrow.  But I'm still curious!

I count the shake. My surgeon, BTW, helped develop the Tufts bible when she ran the program there, and was in practice for years with your surgeon when they were both at Tufts. So how is that for 2 people from the same place with a different take on the same thing? <_<

Liquid is liquid. If my shake was a powder or cube I would buy the argument not to count as fluid. But, when I examine it, the shake flows, pours, and can be cleaned with a sponge when I spill it. Ergo sum, it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and as a scientist I just can't call it a solid. :D

Quack quack quack. Any way you cut this you are doing great.

Edited by BurgundyBoy
Added final sentence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you can suck it up with a straw I was told it's liquid...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My nutritionist said all liquids count toward the fluid goal (protein shakes, popsicles, soups,...).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kio said:

count shakes as fluids?

My protein drinks count as fluid ounces. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, guys! Good to know - I feel super good about my fluid intake now.  Trying to get in 64 plus the shakes has been a struggle - I feel like I'm slacking if I take 10 minutes off from drinking.  I made my goal again today, but in the future I'm totally going to count the shakes.  Don't tell Brigham! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only fluids that I was told not to count towards my intake are drinks with caffeine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cinwa said:

The only fluids that I was told not to count towards my intake are drinks with caffeine. 

Yes and, sadly, wine also does not count towards your liquids quota.... <_<

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Res Ipsa said:

Yes and, sadly, wine also does not count towards your liquids quota.... <_<

Well, now I'm re-evaluating ALL my life choices... ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

Yes and, sadly, wine also does not count towards your liquids quota.... <_<

I doubt that combined, I've drunk more than a glass of wine over the past 10 years.  Pity, I used to enjoy a small glass with my dinner but I seem to have lost my taste for alcohol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm guessing surgeons vary in their ideas because there is no mystical perfect way. There's probably a range within which post-op patients tend to do best, but I suspect the water and protein goals are just that: goals. I hit (and generally surpass) them every day. I don't count my shakes as my liquid so as to encourage myself to drink a whole bunch more liquid, but it's really just a way of tricking myself. It's like deciding whether you're going to eat the calories you burn when you exercise - I don't, which gives me some more leeway. OK, now reading this I sound like a masochist. 

Basically, keep drinking as much as you can. You're doing a great job. Just getting all that into your body so early after surgery requires a lot of work. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now