2thfairy

Hello! My first post!

8 posts in this topic

Good morning!!

My name is Kara and I was sleeved on August 16, 2017. Since then, I have spent more time in the hospital than at home.  Surgery was uncomplicated but developed pain very shortly (with in 10 days) in my abdomen. I was first told that it was just inflammation of tiny tummy.  I was released a few days later but something wasn't right. I was still having terrible pain after eating. Back pain that wouldn't quit, vomiting/dry heaving and I certainly wasn't able to get my calories/fluids in. I went back to the ER.  They found that I had pancreatitis,  and shortly after all those fun tests, a blood clot on the vein leading into my spleen.  I was on IV fluids and nutrition and started feeling human again.  I am on anticoagulant therapy for at least the next 3-6 months. I still have a PICC line in for the next week or so.  I am busting my butt every day now to try to get my fluids/calories/protein so I don't end up back on the feeding bag and I can get this catheter out of my arm!

This journey did not start out well for me, but I am rounding a corner. 

It's nice to be here and hopefully get excited about this journey again. 

Welcome to Thinner Times 2thfairy.

I'm sorry you got off to a rough start but glad to hear that things are looking up.

And congratulations on being 47lb down - that's great!

Trish1967 likes this

Welcome! What a rough start! Hoping for smoother sailing from here. Looking forward to getting to know you better.

Trish1967 likes this

It's always sad to read of complications that some people experience after their surgeries. I'm pleased to read that you're turning a corner now, and I hope that you are able to continue improving. It's good that you've shared your experience so far because we all need reminding from time to time that this surgery isn't always as plain sailing as we think it is.

Trish1967 likes this

Your tale is a reminder that this is surgery after all and it has risks, and is not "the easy" route. Congrats on your progress to date and positive outlook!

Trish1967 likes this

Welcome! I'm sorry things started out so hard - that must have been scary, and I can imagine you had some buyer's remorse. It sounds like you have a great attitude, though, and I'm sure there are some amazing goals you'll reach once you've rounded that corner. I hope you find some good support here - I know I have. 

Trish1967 likes this

I am so very sorry to hear that you had so many issues post op. Pancreatitis is extremely painful.

Fingers and toes crossed that your troubles are over. On to the good part now :)

Trish1967 likes this

Welcome!! I'm so sorry to hear about your post op complications, and I'll be praying for things to start changing in your favor ❤ This is a great place to find support, to vent, ask questions and share your happy moments as well!