Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Drake

Five Days Away...

11 posts in this topic

Can't really explain how this pre-op diet has effected me...

First I started doing Keto for a few months prior to my approval for surgery, now first of three weeks that Keto Flu as I would call it was extreme and no joke. Or it was the introduction of more carbs into my system then what I was use too.. not sure. When your doing just liquids your thinking about food, and really bad luck for me that my Job started to push food across my call floor to help agents stay motivated and happy during our peak season.

I was good for the most part, the few times I let my body win I ate Lean Chicken and slowly started to feel my body was not craving solids but something else. Took me into my second week I realized what I was missing and that was some sort of nutrients I get from Vegi's. So I got some V8 and that knocked me back into a straight mind. But I can tell you it's a bit un-nerving when your arguing with your body inside your mind and your body is winning the fight.

I'm now 5 days out, liquid diet is coming hard and harder to stay on and I have to start on clear liquids tomorrow. Only thing my mind goes to is eating something solid and I'm ripping through Sugar Free Gum like no other. (three packs in less then a week)

Tomorrow is my pre-op Labs as my last set 'Expired' didn't know they could do that. Kinda worried about it, only really thing I'm wondering about is my Sodium levels as all the things I'm drinking are high on sodium.. v8, premier protein, Swanson's reduced sodium and I'm like.. jeebus that's alot of salt.

I know I'm ready for this, I know this is a tool to help me get where I want in life and back into a pool to swim like I use too... I'm nervous and anxious about the results of my test, if my liver shrank down enough that it won't break in half (that is some scary stuff... damn youtube videos.)

Guess I'm just second guessing myself, kicking myself in the pants for eating chicken and worse is eating Popsicle and no really noticing they weren't sugar free as I thought. (stopped eating them) 

BurgundyBoy likes this

I just registered for WLS with a local surgeon today. I found out that I have to do the liquid Optifast diet for 1 month before my surgery. I am NOT looking forward to that at all. I have done a modified fasting program when I was much younger.

I was wondering how it is going to affect my energy levels.

Hang in there! You are at least in the "home stretch" now :)

Drake likes this

Pre-op diet is hard, for sure. The clear liquids phase is really boring and the desire to chew is pretty strong. You might want to freeze some of your clear liquids in ice cube trays so you can crunch on them - at least it's some texture. Try to focus on the future: although the few days seem like an eternity while you're going through them, your happy days of being healthier and better able to do all the things you want to stretch many years into your future. If you can distract yourself, it's probably the easiest way to get through it. Stay busy! Go for a walk, watch WLS vlogs on YouTube, clean your garage, whatever it takes to keep your mind from going where it will probably try to take you. Be strong :) Only a few days to go.

BurgundyBoy, Readytobeme and Drake like this

You've had a long journey Drake and I'm not surprised that you're questioning your decision but you've done a fantastic job so far - 54lb on a pre-op diet is outstanding.

You've just got 4 more days to go until your WLS.  You can do this!

BurgundyBoy and Drake like this

I am sure this part is tough, but you are so close...even closer now...4 days out!  It must feel more and more real each day and I am sure the emotional part inside your head is just as tough as the liquid diet.  May  this part pass quickly and may you stay distracted while you're in the waiting!  Not that it will help your blood draw today but for future reference. they have lower sodium V8 too....not as tasty but still pretty good.  

Eyes on the prize, Drake...you can do this!  (and come back and cheer me on in a few months when I am complaining about going through the preop!)

Drake, BurgundyBoy and Readytobeme like this

Pre-Op went well, I was honest about everything that happened in the few weeks and the nurse kinda laughed at me .The whole point for the liquid diet is to stay low on carbs to help the liver shrink. What I cheated on had no carbs so I was good and was surprised my Surgeon put me on a liquid diet as long as he did. So that was a huge weight off my chest. They did some blood work, told me to buy some over the counter meds to reduce my acid levels before surgery, and gave me some pre-op soap. 

Everything is set for Tuesday :D

Gretta, BurgundyBoy and Readytobeme like this

4 hours ago, CJireh said:

Eyes on the prize, Drake...you can do this!  (and come back and cheer me on in a few months when I am complaining about going through the preop!)

Will do :D Thank you for your encouraging words :D

I'm proud of you Drake - you've been a real trouper.

Oooh, the countdown is on! I suggest changing your sheets every night before surgery in addition to using the soap. You'll do great. So exciting!

@Drake

Sending lots of positive thoughts your way. When you go through the surgery be sure to post here how you are doing!

Your comments stuck home about your surgical team laughing when you confessed you had not been 100% compliant... It's funny but so many of us are uptight about the surgery and the rules for the eating that we feel Guilt when we transgress just a little bit. Every time I mess up in some small way I just try to remember for the next time. 

One of the great things about WLS is that it is designed for real people who are not 100% perfect and it still succeeds.

You'll do great. Good luck!

We are surgery buddies! Best of luck, Drake! We can do this! 

TammyP likes this