I need help and answers!!  I had surgery in August and today marks 6 weeks since surgery.  I have only lost a total of 23 pound, and that includes the 2 week liquid diet so basically 8 weeks with only a 23 pound loss.  I am getting my protein in with genepro, chicken and eqq whites, going to the gym 4 days a week and I cant seem to break this stall that I am on.  The only thing that I know im not doing is getting 80 ounces of fluids in a day.  Can someone help give me ways to break this stall???  PLEASE!!  A meal plan of what you eat in a day?  Anything that would help.  I feel like a failure.  I am doing what Im suppose to I feel like but its not working.

Hi Monicaw and welcome!  Can you give us an example of what you are eating in a day?  I am 12 weeks out, and down 44 pounds, so I think you are doing great with a 23# loss.  My plan only requires 60 ounces of fluids daily, and 60g of protein, but surgeons seem to vary a lot on this.

23lb down in 8 weeks is not bad going considering your starting weight and height put you at a relatively low weight for bariatric surgery (BMI 36.2).  That's an average loss of 2.875lb a week.

At 9 weeks post-op, I was down 25.6lb (average of 2.844lb a week) so our loss is pretty much the same and my surgeon was delighted with that.

I don't think your weight loss numbers are bad at all!

When you say stall, how long has it been since you've lost?

3 hours ago, Monicaw1127 said:

I need help and answers!!  I had surgery in August and today marks 6 weeks since surgery.  I have only lost a total of 23 pound, and that includes the 2 week liquid diet so basically 8 weeks with only a 23 pound loss.  I am getting my protein in with genepro, chicken and eqq whites, going to the gym 4 days a week and I cant seem to break this stall that I am on.  ...Can someone help give me ways to break this stall???  ...  I feel like a failure.  I am doing what Im suppose to I feel like but its not working.

You are doing fine. Don't compare yourself to others, that is a sure road to perdition. You'll have your own unique trajectory. 

Exercise helps to guarantee the process. Good work! What are you doing at the gym?

Post here your intake for a couple of days, including estimated protein, and especially carbs. Sometimes small tweas can help a lot. 

Remember 90% of this is the head game.... and don't eat out of frustration when your good trajectory doesn't seem fast enough. Slow and steady also wins! ;)

Hi, @Monicaw1127. Your weekly average is just under three pounds a week, which is very similar to mine (I'm at just over 3 pounds per week). I know it feels scary in the beginning to lose that slowly (slowly?? I would have killed to lose three pounds a week pre-op!), and it seems like it's not working. However, over time those three pounds per week really add up. Your losses may accelerate or slow down, but they're losses, and in the end, you will lose a lot of weight. 

I'm attaching a few days of what I ate at two months post-op (which is awfully similar to what I'm eating now at 7 months post-op), just to give you an idea. I'm not saying that how I eat is *correct* or telling you that you should eat like that, but just showing you an example. My point in attaching them is to show you a snapshot of what my diet was like during a month where I didn't lose much (10 pounds), and help you feel a bit better about how you're doing. If you're following the post-op rules from your doc, you are doing everything you should. Right now, your body is in control, and it will lose at the speed it wants to lose at, regardless of how you feel about it. All you can do is resign yourself to the lack of control you have over the process, and keep doing what you're supposed to be doing. All you can control is your own behavior, not how your body reacts to surgery and your new diet (and exercise). It will all feel so much better once you've lost enough weight to feel pleased about your progress :) Right now, you've got all of the restrictions and discomfort of the surgery, but none of the real benefits yet, so of course you feel a little down about how it's going. It'll get better.  

The egg muffins are Eggface's egg bites - I put the recipe into the recipe builder in MFP so I could record it easily. 

59bb802e3934f_ScreenShot2017-09-15at11_20_49AM.thumb.png.2b1968978e1b7c03dd4438503c6dec26.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 11.19.44 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 11.20.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 11.21.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 11.21.41 AM.png

Thank you so much for the food examples!!!  That's a huge issue of mine is im comparing myself to others weightloss and its getting discouraging.  I know I shouldn't.  I have been at a stall now for a little over 3 weeks.

15 hours ago, TammyP said:

Hi Monicaw and welcome!  Can you give us an example of what you are eating in a day?  I am 12 weeks out, and down 44 pounds, so I think you are doing great with a 23# loss.  My plan only requires 60 ounces of fluids daily, and 60g of protein, but surgeons seem to vary a lot on this.

I start the morning off with the cold store bought Starbucks skinny Vanilla latte (7 am) and add 1 scoop of Genepro to it.  It has 70 calories, 10g carbs, 8g sugars and 6g protein... then I add 1 scoop of genepro for an extra 30g of protein.  This is 8 ounces.  (9 am) I have either a yogurt or the land-o-frost pre-packaged 1 serving deli meats.  (12:30) usually 3 ounces cooked chicken. (3 pm) snack time is hit or miss if I do eat anything, maybe a protein bar or deli meat.  (6 pm) dinner, either a shake or grilled chicken.  I definitely know that I am not getting the fluid requirements in daily and wondering if this has anything to do with the stalls and the terrible headaches that I am having daily for the past week now.

15 hours ago, Gretta said:

I don't think your weight loss numbers are bad at all!

When you say stall, how long has it been since you've lost?

basically a little over 3 weeks now.  I weigh daily (I know its bad) but it either says 217 or 215 NEVER below 215.  Some days it will say 218-219.  I cant seem to break the 215 mark.  I have started back taking half of my fluid pill due to retaining fluid and swelling.  It was so bad that I was on 40 mg in the morning and 40mg int he evening before surgery.

5 minutes ago, Monicaw1127 said:

......I definitely know that I am not getting the fluid requirements in daily and wondering if this has anything to do with the stalls and the terrible headaches that I am having daily for the past week now.

In a study in “The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism” from 2003, your body needs water to process calories, so even mild dehydration will cause your metabolism to slow down.  

40 minutes ago, cinwa said:

In a study in “The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism” from 2003, your body needs water to process calories, so even mild dehydration will cause your metabolism to slow down.  

I think I will set an alarm on my phone to remind me to drink fluids.  I stay so busy I think this is the only thing that will help.

1 hour ago, Monicaw1127 said:

I think I will set an alarm on my phone to remind me to drink fluids.

This is a good idea.  Dehyrdration is nothing to take lightly.  When I first moved to Texas from the north, I was getting awful headaches.  I had never lived in a warm climate and had never had to consume lots of liquids to combat dehydration.  Your menu looks good - you are diligent on your protein.  Try to push the fluids and let us know how it goes. :)

18 hours ago, Monicaw1127 said:

I start the morning off with the cold store bought Starbucks skinny Vanilla latte (7 am) and add 1 scoop of Genepro to it.  It has 70 calories, 10g carbs, 8g sugars and 6g protein... then I add 1 scoop of genepro for an extra 30g of protein.  This is 8 ounces.  (9 am) I have either a yogurt or the land-o-frost pre-packaged 1 serving deli meats.  (12:30) usually 3 ounces cooked chicken. (3 pm) snack time is hit or miss if I do eat anything, maybe a protein bar or deli meat.  (6 pm) dinner, either a shake or grilled chicken.  I definitely know that I am not getting the fluid requirements in daily and wondering if this has anything to do with the stalls and the terrible headaches that I am having daily for the past week now.

Looks pretty good. I think your headaches may well be from not enough fluids. If you check out some of @Drake's recent posts his headaches went away with V8 - which is fluid+some salts. 

Formally, what does this protein add up to? And the yogurt and protein bar you have in the morning, or afternoon, how much in the way of carbs? I would formally calculate the totals and examine them. Only reason I ask - since this looks pretty good - is that some people break their stalls with a rigorous back-to-ketogenic diet, and for a few people the amount of carbs they need to cut back to is pretty small. The morning latte, the yogurt, the protein bar, and depending upon the shake, could add up to 30-50 grams of carbs. Most people would be ketotic with 30 grams but some have to get under 20 grams. My anecdotal experience is that when I stall, I have to cut the carbs 

Your team may not approve of it, but I drink a couple (2-3) cups of super strong coffee in the morning. The data that caffeine is bad for you... is nonexistent to wifty, and my NUT doesn't even ask me about my coffee habits anymore. That gets me between 2 and 3 cups of fluid (0.5-0.75 liters to my 2 liter goal) every morning, and then my morning shake (325 mls) has some blueberries in it and that is another half a liter or 16 ozs too. So right out of the box in the morning I am a liter, 32 ounces, to my 64 oz (2 liter) goal for the day. 

Check carbs, maybe shake up your calories.  I know it may go against everything we have been taught but sometimes adding a few more calories help.  Or add more protein.  

But do drink more water!  I was not a big water drinker before and early out actually had to set the timer on my phone to get all my liquids in.  2ounces was all I could handle, every 15 minutes for 8 hours.  Now I can drink 8 ounces at a time which helps!  I still don't like plain water and flavor it with no calorie flavors.  If I "think" I'm hungry and shouldn't be, I drink because I have to wait 30 minutes and usually when time is up I'm not hungry..  I drink my decaf coffee on my way to work that's 16 ounces right there.  I have a shake in the morning or for lunch, another 11 ounces...at work I make sure to drink at least 1 bottle of water in the morning and 1 in the afternoon; another 32 ounces..

@Monicaw1127 I had my surgery 2 days after yours. I have lost 19 lbs and I am out 6 weeks tomorrow I am also 60 lbs heavier.  You are doing great so far.  A year from now the slow losses will have paid off !!!