KT74

My friend had the surgery!! Question...

I referred her to my surgeon and she was approved. She had her surgery today. I'm going to see her and was thinking about what I would have wanted someone to bring me in the hospital. I'm drawing a complete blank. 

What would you have liked someone to bring you in the hospital after your WLS?

Chapstick, maybe a heating pad, a pillow to hug in case I coughed or sneezed or to put between myself & the seatbelt on the drive home.

Papaya Enzymes is my go to gift now for people I know having WLS. Most have never even heard of them, but they are a godsend when you need them.

It doesn't need to be something they'll use in the hospital, just a thoughtful gift that acknowledges their surgery in a positive way.

@Aussie H, great idea. Those little babies have saved my life on many occasions. I always have some with me now, just in case.

Little teeny bowls and spoons? I've used mine quite a lot.

I have a question and I am not sure where to ask it. So I will start here.  I have the lab band, shoot 4 years now. Very successful I Love It. I would seriously chew off someones arm if they tried to take it from me. I have Also changed my life style I know bottom line you must burn more calories than you take in. It's just a tool. My question is my best friends over weight. She donated a kidney to her sister over 15 yea ago. I suggested a weight loss surgery and she says she can NOT because she only has 1 kidney. I'm not sure I believe that. So it's better to be obese than to be healthy..i realize surgery is the only issue being with 1 kidney. She is not a little over weight she is in the obese definition. Can you tell me is it safe to have a surgery with 1 kidney verse being extremely over weight with 1 kidney.

Thank you very much 

You probably need a surgeon to answer this. 

1 hour ago, BarbCole said:

I have a question and I am not sure where to ask it. So I will start here.  I have the lab band, shoot 4 years now. Very successful I Love It. I would seriously chew off someones arm if they tried to take it from me. I have Also changed my life style I know bottom line you must burn more calories than you take in. It's just a tool. My question is my best friends over weight. She donated a kidney to her sister over 15 yea ago. I suggested a weight loss surgery and she says she can NOT because she only has 1 kidney. I'm not sure I believe that. So it's better to be obese than to be healthy..i realize surgery is the only issue being with 1 kidney. She is not a little over weight she is in the obese definition. Can you tell me is it safe to have a surgery with 1 kidney verse being extremely over weight with 1 kidney.

Thank you very much 

This is really a question for the surgeon. I would suspect that having only one kidney would make your friend a higher risk patient, but none of us could possibly know the state of her remaining kidney. The usual dietary requirements both pre and post-op rely on the body going into ketosis to burn the fat cells, and this kind of dietary regime does put great pressure on the kidneys flushing the toxins from the body. If your friend's remaining kidney is compromised then that may well be a reason for surgeons to err on the side of caution and refuse to do WLS. Then again it might just be speculation on your friends part, maybe even just an excuse they are giving for not looking into a surgery they aren't interested in. If that's the case then your friend may well not be either interested or ready for WLS. Afterall deciding to undergo WLS is a very individual decision and it's not a wise move to push others into making that decision before they are ready, regardless of how successful you might have been.

Edited by Aussie H

BarbCole,

I totally agree with the others that she or you should ask these questions to a surgeon.  While there may be a risk in having surgery and losing a lot of weight with only one kidney, logically this risk may be counterbalanced (at least in part) by the remaining kidney being under less stress for the rest of her life as her body will become smaller and more healthy.

For example, one of the normal risks of having only one kidney is increased blood pressure.

https://www.kidneyresearchuk.org/health-information/living-with-one-kidney

And, most people who lose a lot of weight see their blood pressure drop a great deal.  High blood pressure can bring many serious health problems.