Jodi

Be honest!

I had gastric at 45 years old at 251 lbs. and got down to 133 lbs.  I am now 52 years old and weigh 143 lbs.  It's a 10 lb gain but I am feeling like a failure,  With aging and menopause should I accept the 10 lb gain?

Can't really speak for personal experience, 1 - Not a woman, 2 - Still not a woman :)

But I do remember my mom when she hit Menopause and she had stomach staples done about the same time you did. Her mood along with her weight went up and down for about two years. But I do know that when anything changes chemically or physically with your body it will retain water in case of a emergency. So I really wouldn't worry about the gain, be a bit more mindful of what your eating and just continue your normal activities if not increase them just a little bit. 

I went walking more with my mom during that time, I was in High School at the time and her moods were brutal. But I don't blame her, and you shouldn't blame yourself for the gain at all. 

Be Strong, Be Happy and always remember.. turn that frown upside down :)

Jodi, I don't think that is unreasonable, as ppl without WLS do the same thing ( it is normal for adults to gain about a pound a year or so)...BUT, and I am not post surg, so it may seem hypocritical, but I had worked at a women's gym for 10 yrs and from my experience, what I saw was it is ok to gain a little, but you need to stop and work on it right away, so that it doesn't become a problem.  The first 5-10# isn't hard to get back off, but downplaying it and letting more come on is where ppl get into problems. and then it turns into 50# before you know it!  So, don't beat yourself up, just be on high alert and go back to the things that worked for you first.  Drink more water, park further and walk a little more, exercise an extra 5-10 mins or try something different at the gym (HIIT or something), just don't "settle".  (and you can copy and paste this and tell me in 7 yrs when I start to panic from gaining a few pounds! ha!)

6 hours ago, Jodi said:

I had gastric at 45 years old at 251 lbs. and got down to 133 lbs.  I am now 52 years old and weigh 143 lbs.  It's a 10 lb gain but I am feeling like a failure,  With aging and menopause should I accept the 10 lb gain?

No to having to accept it... but WHY feel like a failure? Why not feel good... and you need to trim a bit? YOU ARE A SUCCESS!;)

I get the failure part.  For so many years we felt like failures.  Even now if it goes up.5 pounds I feel like I did something wrong.  When that .5 pounds is gone the next day I feel great.  

Set a limit on what's acceptable and try to keep it there.  If menopause is done than it should be easier.  Keep your limits to where your body feels good, not your head.  Don't throw in the towel and give yourself a license to eat.  The oh well, I'm going to gain weight anyways mentality.  

Youve done great!  You look great! 

Edited by Cheesehead

I go by my BMI - 25 or under is great, 26 means get busier, watch the carbs, up the protein.  So far at 22 months post op I am in the 24-25 BMI range and at age 63 that makes me ... HAPPY ...   Several coworkers have told me that I have lost too much weight.  I just smile and say my BMI is normal for my height.  So figure out what makes you happy: a specific weight or the BMI and set your goal accordingly.  The 5 day pouch reset does wonders. 

I see total success in your weight loss history!:)

If you want to lose 5-10 more pounds, fine, but if you like where you are now, fine too. Your body, your decision.  Either way, we are here to support you and cheer you on. 

Of course, like Drake:

On 9/13/2017 at 9:06 PM, Drake said:

Can't really speak for personal experience, 1 - Not a woman, 2 - Still not a woman :)

I had my sleeve at 51 and now just having turned 54 have officially hit menopause (no period for a year).  So, I reached goal during the hormonal craziness of the perimenopausal time frame.  BTW, I never had the moodiness, really I didn't.  Damn it I didn't!!!

You are one of our long term success stories.  You have proven that you are a WLS success!  What you do next should be determined by how you feel.  If the extra 10 pounds makes you feel less than OK, you and only you can fix that.  If you are happy where you are, go for it!!

On 9/13/2017 at 7:13 PM, Jodi said:

Jodi,

You are a success after 7 years only a regain of 10 pounds is better than normal. As long as you watch what you eat and only treat yourself every once in a while and keep a watch on the scale you will be fine.