Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
We3wimps

Pain?

9 posts in this topic

I am just wondering what kind of pain to expect after surgery. How long are you in the hospital for? How long does the pain last? I know what the doctor says but would really like to heqr from someone who has actually gone through it.

I was in for a total of about 22 hours from check-in to check-out.  I was at a surgery center though, not a hospital and they have to have you out within 24 hours.  I don't think I would have benefited from being in any longer though.  Pain was manageable; was a little rough for about 48 hours mostly because I had pesky dry heaves every time I moved.  Gas pain can get intense so do get up and walk frequently.  Sleeping upright (like in a recliner or adjustable bed) is helpful in the early days.  I was out Christmas shopping within a few days post-op and back to work in 2 weeks.  Some fatigue for a few weeks but not profound.

Aussie H and BurgundyBoy like this

I stayed one night in the hospital. The incision pain never bothered me at all. I wouldn't have even needed my pain medication were it not for the gas pains I got from the gas they inflate you with during surgery. That was very painful for me for 4 or 5 days.

Karimeaway and BurgundyBoy like this

I'm going through it right now.  I'm 5 days out from surgery.  Everybody is different.  My throat pain from intubation has been far worse than any pain from the surgery, and that was never really higher than a 5 on the pain scale.  

Immediately upon waking in the recovery room I had intense internal pain and dry mouth, but this was because they woke me up early, before the dilaudid kicked in - because I have sleep apnea.  The dry mouth was more bothersome than the pain.  A few clicks of the pain med button and I was doing fine.  I was in the hospital for two nights, on dilaudid "as needed" (I could click the button for a small dose every six minutes, but wasn't clicking the button much after the first night) and liquid tylenol.  At home I have liquid tylenol and hydrocodone "as needed" - but have only taken 6 of the 15 hydrocodone they gave me, and that was all the first night and day home.  

My incisions don't really hurt; they're a bit tender on the outside, and sometimes if I twist or bend wrong I feel something like a slight tug internally.  Most of the pain is in a line that goes from my sternum to my belly button, and it's really just kind of a dull ache.  A little bit of back pain that may be from gas. I'm still sleeping in my recliner in the living room, and probably will for a few more days. 

Hope that helps!

BurgundyBoy likes this

It was minor.  I agree the sore dry throats was the worst.  Take chapstick for your dry lips.  

Get up and walk as much as possible.  

Edited by Cheesehead
BurgundyBoy likes this

I had 2 nights in hospital but only because my surgery wasn't done until later in the day.

I was off pain medication by day 3 post-op but I did take it (Percocet) at night to help try and get some sleep for a few nights after that (3 or 4 as best I can remember).

Ditto what Cheesehead said about walking.  Along with keeping up with your fluids, it's the best thing to help your recovery.

BurgundyBoy likes this

I had no surgical or gas pain after surgery...just very minor discomfort. I didn't need any narcotics. I never even took any Tylenol. I did, however, have wretched nausea that lasted about 7 hours after surgery. After that subsided, I felt really good. Just tired.

I agree 150% with the walking and sipping. I don't sleep in the hospital, so I was up walking at least once per hour roaming the halls, lol

BurgundyBoy likes this

On 9/13/2017 at 3:44 PM, Gretta said:

I stayed one night in the hospital. The incision pain never bothered me at all. I wouldn't have even needed my pain medication were it not for the gas pains I got from the gas they inflate you with during surgery. That was very painful for me for 4 or 5 days.

Same here.  No pains except for gas pains!

BurgundyBoy and Gretta like this

Had some minor incisional pains for 5 days or a week. After day 3 I only took the narcotics before bed otherwise would wake up uncomfortable 4 or 5 hours into the night. Like some of the others had a tugging sensation near the incisions every great once in a while. As surgery goes, pretty minor pains. I walked 3 miles the day after I got home and I think was swimming the first week too. The tylenol and naprosyn I took were helpful. I have bad arthritis in one hip and need the naprosyn for that, I didn't need it for the weigh loss surgery. 

Had no intestinal gas pains at all (took a probiotic for the week before hand and about 10 days after). My experience was not typical and I ascribe it to the probiotic. I doubt there is any downside to taking it and there may be a substantial up-side in terms of ameliorating this discomfort. As I recall I took the Culturelle product, which is Lactobacillus GG. I actually took it to decrease the low risk of C diff after surgery. Having said that, @Trish1967 and Gretta and Karimeaway did not have much abdominal gas pain either. 

Like @Gretta and @Karimeaway, my only real pain was in my chest and shoulders from the gas used to inflate my belly - also called a gas pain but in this case it is like a minor case of the bends, what scuba divers get. The gas they inflate your belly with is absorbed into the bloodstream and sometimes comes back out as little tiny bubbles in your joints. There should be a different name for these two pains, but this is what we are saddled with. The only things that help this are walking, tincture of time, and +/- the drugs they give you. Never was very bad. 

For what it is worth, I have had back pain since I was hit by a car 35 years ago, and which got much worse after a bike accident a little less than 2 years ago. That dwarfed the minor stuff around the WLS. (And, my back pain is now >95% gone with my weight loss).