Sign in to follow this  
Kio

2nd day post surgery - probably not going home today

It was looking good for a little while there, but sometime mid-day yesterday I started feeling pretty awful.  My minor cough bloomed into a full productive lung-wracking cough, my throat hurt like it had been scraped raw, my neck started to ache, and I basically felt terrible.  Plus, as of this morning, I've lost my voice entirely. It felt, and still feels, like it has nothing to do with the gastric bypass.  I think I'm just unlucky enough to have developed a bad cold at the worst time.

I'm aware of the dangers of post-operative pneumonia so I alerted everyone as soon as I realized something was not okay.  I haven't had any fever, aside from the first night when my temp went up to a whopping 99.1 F for two minutes. My lungs sound fine - everybody is listening to them when they come by now.

My nurse last night was not great. Such a huge contrast from what I've seen at this hospital so far. I felt pretty crappy, and she just wasn't really on the ball. She never remembered to put the lower-leg stockings that help prevent clotting back on me after I went to the ladies room - I had to remind her, sometimes twice. She tried to give me a dose of liquid tylenol less than 3 hours after my previous dose of liquid tylenol, because she hadn't looked up when I last got it. She would come in to check on me and I'd ask her to turn a light out - once I'm in bed, the stockings are basically shackles, so I can't get to stuff myself - and she'd turn it out but turn on something even brighter and then leave.  When the doc said I could have some throat drops for the pain, which was extreme, my nurse left to get them, and didn't come back - I had to take off the stockings, get out of bed and go get her - and when I did she was just sitting at the nurse's station chatting.  Plus she dropped everything she picked up or brought into my room, usually several times.  

Anyway, the consensus is that I do NOT have pneumonia - just terrible luck. But they have backed off from saying I can go home today to a "wait and see" stance.  On the bright side, they took off a ton of monitoring equipment and switched me over to oral pain relief, and stopped the lactated ringers drip.  So I have more freedom of movement and it's a little easier to sleep.

And even more on the bright side, all the surgery stuff seems good.  My incisions are healing nicely, I still have no nausea, and I managed a full protein shake yesterday.  I did feel weird about that - I never felt full, and worried I was doing bad things to the pouch but just couldn't feel it because of the generalized chest pain from coughing.  I should be drinking more water - working on it!

Actually, my surgeon just stopped by and he said he DOES think I can still go home today.  That would be awesome!

What crazy timing - I hope you feel better soon! I can't imagine having coughing fits right after abdominal surgery: ouch! You sound like you're in good spirits, though :) 

having a sore throat is normal after surgery where you are under anesthesia and have been intubated....but the cough isnt' normal...so it is best they keep an eye on things.  hopefully it is temporary and will resolve soon.  feel better!

Ugh. So sorry about you cold and not-so-great nurse. Practice hugging a pillow when you cough. It could really hurt if you do it without pain medicine. Hoping you get to go home soon. That's the best place to heal.

I hope you feel better really quickly, @Kio!  Having a cold is bad enough on its own, but add it to abdominal surgery and coughing - Yikes! Let us know if you make it home today. Take it slow the next couple days because it is easy to wear down through the day from the surgery alone, but a cold will zap you more. I am glad you don't have any nausea or real pain due to surgery. Best wishes for feeling better soon!