Sign in to follow this  
CJireh

Weight loss PRE surgery?

Ok, so I am seeing lots of people who's stats include their original weight, their presurgery weight and their weight now.  Everyone seems to have lost weight prior to surgery....is that bc you have to for your insurance or dr, or is that from the liquid diet two weeks prior?  The reason I ask is I haven't lost (or tried to lose) anything since I first went to the BS office in June.  No one has mentioned anything about having too.  I probably should be doing something (I haven't gained anything but haven't lost)....but it is a prerequisite or is everyone just losing tons before hand because you are super psyched about a lifestyle change as soon as you decide to start the journey towards surgery?

I did it on my own in the month before surgery - no requirement to, but I started "practicing" for how I'd have to eat after. And lost 20 lbs doing very low carb, 1200 calories per day (which sounds like a LOT of calories to me now, lol).

I think it was good training and helpful in getting my mind focused. 

I was not required to lose weight, but I was required to do a one-week liquid diet prior to surgery in order to shrink my liver.

I did it to make my surgery safer. I knew going into this surgery that revisions carried much higher complication rates so wanted to do everything in my power to reduce any risks. It was also a great opportunity to prove to myself that I could change my lifestyle before surgery, which would also improve my chances of success after surgery. I bought my BMI down from 39 to 29 by surgery day. My surgeon didn't give me any targets to reach, but his dietician did say they expected 8 kgs (about 20lb) loss during the 4 week pre-op liver shrinking liquid diet. In all I dropped around 28kg or approximately 60lb.

I wasn't required to lose weight, but my surgeon encourages all of us to lose to get a jump on things as well as shrink our livers to make the surgery safer. I lost 31 pounds in the 3 months I was waiting for my surgery date. I didn't want to wait to start my new life. Sticking to the program was so much easier knowing I had a real shot at keeping the weight off this time.

Edited by Gretta

My weight is what I started with.  I was told not to gain.  I did lose 6 pounds.  But I had no requirement to lose weight, nor did I have to do a liquid diet.  

I will add that I was taking enough medications losing weight was almost impossible..

Although I wasn't given a number. I was required to lose weight AND keep it off between seeing my surgeon and my WLS.

I lost 57 lbs before surgery. It wasn't required, but my surgeon did tell me I should try to lose before surgery if I could, because the less I weighed the safer my surgery would be.  I'm all about safety during surgery, so I threw myself into it and worked my @*# off to get below 300 before going under the knife.

From what I've read around these forums, all surgeons are different, and also people at lower BMIs often aren't required to lose anything prior to surgery.

Oddly enough, my aunt had the surgery and had to GAIN weight in order to be elligible!  Her surgery was scheduled for the end of January IF she could gain enough weight to be elligible....so she ate her way through Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years...how crazy is that ...that they'd make you be terrible unhealthy in order to get to be healthy... as a nurse, I was shocked at her surgeon's stipluations!  

My Dr didn't tell me to lose anything but I just barely made the cut off....I didn't make it bc the nurse measured me at 5'5" and that made me just under the BMI I needed, so I made him go back and remeasure me w/o my shoes on and I was fine (5'4").

Anyway, I am thinking I need to start doing something to get ready (haven't gotten a date yet but have done all my presurg requirements, just waiting for clearance from sleep medicine)....I am ready to make my weight start heading in the right direction...down, down, down!

Thansk everyone

I have to go through classes with people from all different insurances, and its interesting to see what each insurance requires. Mine does not require me to lose weight, but does require I attend weekly classes for six months with a weigh in at each, which is certainly motivating for losing weight :) The girl I sit next to has to NOT lose any more weight or her surgery will be declined until she regains weight, and the guy who sits on my other side has to lose 10% of his starting bodyweight before his surgery is approved. Yeesh! 

I'm still pre-surgery.

I started at 560ish two years ago and got down to 440 on my own before I got injuried that bummed me out. My surgery is actually this coming Tuesday on the 19th, and I'm simply using it as a tool to help me back into the Gym. I was about 510ish two weeks back and Doctor wanted me to loose another 10 before surgery. I weight last week and only lost a pound which made me feel defeated cause I already been on liquids for a week, walking alot more, but turns out it was the withdraw of some pain meds I was putting my body in a state of shock with everything happening at once.

I'm down 7ibs, but from personal experience the insurance company is going to dig into your life, see what life changes you've tried, medical history with weightloss and some of the friends I've had go through this had to start their journey at the same time they tried to get approval for the WLS. 

So you got this, and best luck in your future walk down your weight loss journey! :D

my insurance company is wonderful....I called them and "if your doctor says you need it and you meet the criteria (40 BMI or 35 BMI with other issues like HBP, High Cholesterol, Diabetes etc) then it is covered 100% with no copay for the hospital".  That is it...no time frame to wait, no losing weight needed, no meetings, nothing.  Almost too easy.  Had it not been a 42 yr struggle to get to where I am at, I would say "this is a piece of cake"...but then I would want to lick the icing and we see where that got me!!!  :o